Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Aug 5, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5,536 of 7,352
At this point I am not absolutely sure you will be able to, I am pretty much going to review them on Cipher cable only and recommend them as such only, even with a high-end DAP I couldn't get the same EQ, I think that the reason is that the Cipher cable magic has a lot of EQ bands at narrow ranges applied, so while in theory it would be possible, it takes more than your average EQ app to EQ i20 to exactly the same sound of the Cipher cable...

I've got mine to match or sound just as good as the cypher with a meager 4 eq settings but as you mentioned, It requires a parametric eq, patience and skill. EQ is the most valuable tool in an audiophile's arsenal, but it's not easy to use. I get that for the average person a parametric eq would be way too much to deal with. I dont think it's a stretch to say that most people are going to need the cypher cable or these headphones will sound terrible.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #5,537 of 7,352
At this point I am not absolutely sure you will be able to, I am pretty much going to review them on Cipher cable only and recommend them as such only, even with a high-end DAP I couldn't get the same EQ, I think that the reason is that the Cipher cable magic has a lot of EQ bands at narrow ranges applied, so while in theory it would be possible, it takes more than your average EQ app to EQ i20 to exactly the same sound of the Cipher cable...

If I use the settings @Br777 provides, and a little tweaking, I can get them to sound pretty decent. I have a set of @FiiO FH5s on the way I am going to test as well. I'd prefer to use my Sony to avoid burning my iPhone X non-stop - even with carry a spare battery there are times I'd prefer to have my iPhone quiesced.

I get that for the average person a parametric eq would be way too much to deal with.

I wish all DAPs had the ability to flip on more advanced settings with the ability to entire via text.

With your settings, I can get the iSine to sound pretty decent now, but the Cipher seems to add some more body overall at lower volumes. Does that make sense, ie, as an audio newbie am I hearing things?

@Audeze - know you guys are busy with the Mobius stuff (waiting on my own set!), but if you have any input or thoughts, it's appreciated!

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,538 of 7,352
If I use the settings @Br777 provides, and a little tweaking, I can get them to sound pretty decent. I have a set of @FiiO FH5s on the way I am going to test as well. I'd prefer to use my Sony to avoid burning my iPhone X non-stop - even with carry a spare battery there are times I'd prefer to have my iPhone quiesced.

I wish all DAPs had the ability to flip on more advanced settings with the ability to entire via text.

With your settings, I can get the iSine to sound pretty decent now, but the Cipher seems to add some more body overall at lower volumes. Does that make sense, ie, as an audio newbie am I hearing things?

@Audeze - know you guys are busy with the Mobius stuff (waiting on my own set!), but if you have any input or thoughts, it's appreciated!

Yeah i think the cypher with a little eq from the app sounds really good. probably better than my analogue settings. I've spent very little time with the cypher but i got that more full body sound impression as well.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #5,539 of 7,352
I've got mine to match or sound just as good as the cypher with a meager 4 eq settings but as you mentioned, It requires a parametric eq, patience and skill. EQ is the most valuable tool in an audiophile's arsenal, but it's not easy to use. I get that for the average person a parametric eq would be way too much to deal with. I dont think it's a stretch to say that most people are going to need the cypher cable or these headphones will sound terrible.

Oh, your profile is quite good, but on most apps you don't have access to that parametric EQ, so it is complicated to apply it...

On Windows, it is another story, but then again, the whole idea of the Cipher cable is how accessible and hassle-free it is (?)

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #5,540 of 7,352
I get concerned swapping cables between the Cipher and the balanced 4.4. I've only done it a few times to get that immediate sense of musical difference. Just did it an hour ago, and yeah, the Cipher feels like it adds "body". Again, a newbie, so maybe I am missing something my my Walkman NW-ZX300. I really would rather run with that for the classical FLACs I have than convert to ALAC.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #5,541 of 7,352
ok, so you all inspired me to give the cypher another listen. It was actually pretty easy to figure out why our settings sound different. He left everything in around 250hz than I took out because it felt too muddy, and he did not use as much at 4khz.
here are some settings tweaked to sound more like my cypher settings. I can see the appeal of this sound signature over mine. I may give it a try for a while to see how i get used to it.

Preamp: -4 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain 2 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -8.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.4

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #5,542 of 7,352
Thanks for the feedback ya'll. I'm definitely seeing these new settings as an improvement. My old settings were too thinned out at 250hz and had too much sparkle. Always room for improvement! Now I get to relisten to all my favorite music to see how much better it sounds! :wink:

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #5,543 of 7,352
Thanks for the feedback ya'll. I'm definitely seeing these new settings as an improvement. My old settings were too thinned out at 250hz and had too much sparkle. Always room for improvement! Now I get to relisten to all my favorite music to see how much better it sounds! :wink:

Using your first settings until I figure out how to translate Q to a 10 band non-parametric EQ. Just installed Reveal plugin based on recommendation of @KMann and used the Walkman as a DAC tied to Audivarna Pro on my computer, no EQ, just the plugin. I then listened to music right off the Walkman natively. Have to say, your EQ gets there when I turn up the volume just a tad. Listened to Adele, some synth wave, some Haydn, Vivaldi, Hildegard von Bingen, and Iron Maiden. Some tracks seems to be a little less "full" (I don't know what the audio jingo is for that) but at the same time, one of the tracks for Adele that sounded a bit pitchy and even a tad distorted with Audivarna and Reveal sounded clean on the Walkman. I know, could be fatigue or my bad ear, but for now, I'm sticking to it.

I will have to listen to things with your latest as I am using this build from you, adjusted for a 10 band only:

https://imgur.com/a/a5jzmge

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #5,544 of 7,352
Using your first settings until I figure out how to translate Q to a 10 band non-parametric EQ. Just installed Reveal plugin based on recommendation of @KMann and used the Walkman as a DAC tied to Audivarna Pro on my computer, no EQ, just the plugin. I then listened to music right off the Walkman natively. Have to say, your EQ gets there when I turn up the volume just a tad. Listened to Adele, some synth wave, some Haydn, Vivaldi, Hildegard von Bingen, and Iron Maiden. Some tracks seems to be a little less "full" (I don't know what the audio jingo is for that) but at the same time, one of the tracks for Adele that sounded a bit pitchy and even a tad distorted with Audivarna and Reveal sounded clean on the Walkman. I know, could be fatigue or my bad ear, but for now, I'm sticking to it.

I will have to listen to things with your latest as I am using this build from you, adjusted for a 10 band only:

https://imgur.com/a/a5jzmge

I will have to try the Reveal plugin again. Maybe I'll like it this time. You'll like the new settings. Get rid of anything you took out below 1k, so it looks like just put the 250 and 500 back to zero and you'll be in better shape. than re-evaluate the 4k spike. it may need to come down a bit.
It's nice that your eq uses the same bands I am. I guess they are pretty common ones. That wasn't intentional on my part but now I want to try some portable players to see how close they sound. I'd love to try a shanling m1 or m0 but i think they have crappy eq's

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5,545 of 7,352
I always use the latest eq settings from Br777 - his latest sound very good.
Currently testing some 24 bit Paul Simon Graceland with two different set ups. First in my lg v30 in high impediance mode with neutron player with the above eq settings and isine 10, second through my surface book - foobar 2000 - fiio q1 m2 - reveal plugin - isine 10 Both sound very good its hard to pick a winner. i haven't listened to the cypher cable in many months may have to pick up an apple device to test it again

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #5,546 of 7,352
Thanks again for the suggestions to fatten up my eq. It really does sound better. I've gone up from 3.5 to 4 on the 4k setting which is nothing. Otherwise I think these settings should stick for a while.

Preamp: -4.5 dB
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.4

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #5,547 of 7,352
Listening to the soundtrack from Axiom Verge for the first time on my 20s. Ear massage!

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #5,548 of 7,352
Thanks again for the suggestions to fatten up my eq. It really does sound better. I've gone up from 3.5 to 4 on the 4k setting which is nothing. Otherwise I think these settings should stick for a while.

Preamp: -4.5 dB
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.4
Funny, I think I have the opposite feel and liked the EQs with the (-250hz) settings. (improved clarity maybe?) Maybe it depends on the music/recordings also? Have to listen some more. Thanks again, Bob.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #5,549 of 7,352
Funny, I think I have the opposite feel and liked the EQs with the (-250hz) settings. (improved clarity maybe?) Maybe it depends on the music/recordings also? Have to listen some more. Thanks again, Bob.

yeah it's been a real point of contention for me and especially my brain. I use a very thorough testing process when I think I have an eq setting right, and still my brain is having trouble accepting this new level at 250hz no matter how much i can hear that it is better. Some recordings are taking some getting used to but you have to look at the overall effect through lots of music. There is a great article about what it really takes to eq headphones accurately in my signature. It's exactly my philosophy, and if you read it you get a much better idea of why eq and especially with headphones can be so difficult. It can be especially difficult to "rescript" your brain once you've gotten used to a certain sound signature. Something that is clearly better can sound terrible at first if you are used to something else that you thought was good. This 250hz issue is a perfect example. Part of the process is accepting that some of your recordings may not sound how you want them to even when your overall eq settings are excellent. There are So many poor or just odd quality recordings out there it's amazing. I actually think that has a lot to do with people mixing with headphones that are way out of balance to begin with, but that's a whole nother story :wink:

Of course in the end just do what you like, but you should try leaving the 250hz in for a while and then try switching back, you may suddenly find you like it better there. Or not.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #5,550 of 7,352
Using your latest settings. Definitely have to retrain your ears and brain. It’s interesting how listening to my Schitt stack and AKG 7xx and then shifting to my iSine 20 in either direction cause an immediate, “Hmmmm..l followed by, “OK this one sounds better.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back