Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,213 of 7,352
The cheap headphones are very easy to open up. Remove the foam cushions, open up, remove drivers. After that you can use a knife to cut out the ball pivot. I used a small wire cutter to cut it out. The plastic is very soft, you can even use scissors. After cutting a little sanding may be needed to smooth over the cutting.

The "A" logo on the isine has double sided tape underneath. I used the tip of a small hobby knife and gentle push in the edge while slowly lifting. A good place to put the knife tip would be the top of the "A". There is a notch on the back that I think is for alignment. Save the Audeze logo to reverse the mod or glue to the outside of the headband.

I will let you know how I get on. Many thanks.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,215 of 7,352
Sorry if this headband mod has hi-jacked this thread.

Just to help those interested.

Driver will pop out with just your finger nails.
IMG_20170730_160331.jpg

Yank the driver off the cable and remove the ball pivot. Throw away the driver, total crap.

I used small wire cutters to remove the ball then clean up with scissors. The plastic is soft enough to use scissors only if you do not have small wire cutters.
IMG_20170730_160435.jpg
IMG_20170730_160658.jpg

IMG_20170730_160810.jpg

IMG_20170730_161301.jpg

Under the ball there is a flat support that extends lower than the circle. If you use thin double sided tape you will have to cut or sand that flush with the circle. If you use thick foam double side tape you can cut a round piece of tape in half, two semi-circles to go on either sides of that protrusion. Hot glue is the easier and quicker option. Just remember to make sure that the protrusion is glued in horizontally on your isine because there is a horizontal slot in the socket of the headband.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,217 of 7,352
Sorry if this headband mod has hi-jacked this thread.

Just to help those interested.

Driver will pop out with just your finger nails.

Yank the driver off the cable and remove the ball pivot. Throw away the driver, total crap.

I used small wire cutters to remove the ball then clean up with scissors. The plastic is soft enough to use scissors only if you do not have small wire cutters.

Under the ball there is a flat support that extends lower than the circle. If you use thin double sided tape you will have to cut or sand that flush with the circle. If you use thick foam double side tape you can cut a round piece of tape in half, two semi-circles to go on either sides of that protrusion. Hot glue is the easier and quicker option. Just remember to make sure that the protrusion is glued in horizontally on your isine because there is a horizontal slot in the socket of the headband.

your helping the thread :wink:

Great work my man

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,220 of 7,352
I got nervous just by watching the photos of this DIY mod lol
For me the donor headphone is very cheap and everything done to the isine can be undone. Just remove the double sided tape or hot glue and glue the Audeze logo back on. You can still use the ear hooks anytime by just popping the isine off the headband and vise versa.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3,221 of 7,352
So. i am happy to say that my i10s have really grown on me (to the degree that i haven't used my LCD-2s for a few days); however, the same can not be said for the cable. I have never experienced a headphone/iem cable as bad as this in my life. The thin cable may have been a nice idea, but is horrid in practice. It is stiff and constantly gets in the way, and half the time sticks out in front of my face, because i have to use the clip to keep em on me. Priority #1 is to find a good, cheap set of replacement cables; i would love the DIY route, but i have neither the tools nor the time (let alone skill) to make them.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #3,223 of 7,352
Got the iSINE 20 yesterday, but could not get it to fit in my ear at all... The bore is really big. Are these supposed to be shallow fitting like the 1MORE IEMs? I could get a seal with those using the large tips, but I can't get any seal with these with any tips. And none of my spinfits fit at all...

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #3,224 of 7,352
Got the iSINE 20 yesterday, but could not get it to fit in my ear at all... The bore is really big. Are these supposed to be shallow fitting like the 1MORE IEMs? I could get a seal with those using the large tips, but I can't get any seal with these with any tips. And none of my spinfits fit at all...

Deep/shallow fit seems to be a matter of preference and/or ear shape. If you haven't already, experiment with the angle of the ear hooks to find what's most stable/comfortable. Seal is not necessarily the biggest deal with these since they're not closed to begin with. The challenge is really to find a setup that supports the weight of the iSine comfortably without hotspots.

Regular Spinfits don't fit, but the dual-flange CP-230 does. I got a pair of these a couple days ago and have good results so far.

Other tips I've tried:

- Audeze's Groovy tips are good, because they fit securely and brace firmly against a wide area (no hotspot). However, I find they get uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm not sure why, may be something about the material, in which case it may just be my sensitivity to it
- Comply T-600 are the most comfortable for extended use, but as somebody on here has pointed out, you may need to go down a size. I would normally use medium tips but have better results with small ones in this case.
-JVC Spiral Dot are a bit of a pain to get mounted, but it can be done. Good for a deeper fit because the spiral dot doesn't extend far beyond the end of the already long tube of the iSine.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,225 of 7,352
So. i am happy to say that my i10s have really grown on me (to the degree that i haven't used my LCD-2s for a few days); however, the same can not be said for the cable. I have never experienced a headphone/iem cable as bad as this in my life. The thin cable may have been a nice idea, but is horrid in practice. It is stiff and constantly gets in the way, and half the time sticks out in front of my face, because i have to use the clip to keep em on me. Priority #1 is to find a good, cheap set of replacement cables; i would love the DIY route, but i have neither the tools nor the time (let alone skill) to make them.

Yes! My sentiments exactly. Venture Electronics do a mean cable for something like $15, *much* softer and more flexible than stock. It's also a bit brighter and drier imo. I'm personally fine with it but ymmv as always.

IMG_3020.JPG

(And yes that's the level I listen at, with this beast.)

If this interests anyone, go to www.veclan.com, look for 'basic cable' and select the 0.78mm 2-pin straight connector.

And if anyone knows of other decent, inexpensive cables I'd be interested too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back