Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v56 and HQ v97)
Mar 3, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,936 of 4,423
i just fired them up and had a listen on my iphone, everything sounds very flat, even if i put. on bass boost or treble boost, listening to an ALAC file. my jaybird vistas sound better and more alive. am i doing something wrong? i had some ankor Q40’s that had more detail

It’s possible you’re just used to a more v-shaped sound signature. I don’t notice any big drop in sound quality using my iPhone compared to the dongle on PC.

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,941 of 4,423
For anyone who has been listening to the Maxwell plugged in via USB C on their MacBook, which audio output do you choose in the Mac menu? It is pictured in the screenshot below. Chat allows volume to be changed while the game option does not allow volume adjustment at all (not even via scroll wheel).

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 4.47.30 PM.png

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,942 of 4,423
That is at least positive, however for the iphone that leaves it a bit of a mystery. Do you have any experience with any other planars to reference or can you describe the mids a bit more? Is it that they sound bright, detailed recessed or maybe too forward?
no this is the first planars i’ve ever heard. they aren’t bright, just sounds muffled overall, not much detail and clarity. very warm sounding. i adjusted the bass on the phone and it sounded worse. in dolby on the pc the bass sounds great, almost too much.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,943 of 4,423
It’s possible you’re just used to a more v-shaped sound signature. I don’t notice any big drop in sound quality using my iPhone compared to the dongle on PC.
very likely i am, that’s how mostly i put my EQ, but when doing that on my phone, didn’t sound very good. i’ll keep playing with it. i don’t have a reference to go against as far as other planar headphones. to know of this is the way they sound or i have a bad pair?

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,944 of 4,423
no this is the first planars i’ve ever heard. they aren’t bright, just sounds muffled overall, not much detail and clarity. very warm sounding. i adjusted the bass on the phone and it sounded worse. in dolby on the pc the bass sounds great, almost too much.

Hmmm very interesting. I actually think the opposite - they sound very clear and not particularly warm. Definitely closer to neutral across the board with decent detail. Imo they sound incredible. And this is on USB PC Dongle, PlayStation and my Android phone (no HQ app on that). Wonder if you have a bad pair or if this is just a subjective difference in opinion? And I have Philips Fidelio X2HR for dynamic reference and Hifiman Edition XS for open back planar reference. And Maxwells sound pretty good against those as well.

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #1,945 of 4,423
Hmmm very interesting. I actually think the opposite - they sound very clear and not particularly warm. Definitely closer to neutral across the board with decent detail. Imo they sound incredible. And this is on USB PC Dongle, PlayStation and my Android phone (no HQ app on that). Wonder if you have a bad pair or if this is just a subjective difference in opinion? And I have Philips Fidelio X2HR for dynamic reference and Hifiman Edition XS for open back planar reference. And Maxwells sound pretty good against those as well.

That’s close to my experience as well. Hard to compare open to closed, but while my Deva Pros have more air, detail and clarity, the Maxwells come as close as I’d expect for closed headphones. My Amiron Wireless have better dynamics, sound stage and impact, which I sort of expect for dynamic drivers, but the Maxwells beat them for detail and balance. I don’t want to hype up the Maxwells as endgame headphones or anything, I find them a bit narrow and closed in, and not super lively, but they’re very good for $300 at presenting accurate, uncolored sound

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,946 of 4,423
i’d imagine they should sound great out the box, especially with everyone raving about them. i guess i can use them this weekend and see how it goes and do a return next week if it doesn’t get better. now it did sound a little better on my samsung tablet vs my iphone pro max. i was comparing on youtube music app. i’ll try it on the pc too. wish i knew someone or somewhere locally that was selling it to where i could compare to see if i do have a bad one. perhaps they sound like they supposed to and i’m just way off base. i have no real comparison to make against any other higher end headphones. these are the most expensive ones i’ve had. but they don’t sound any clearer than my corsair HS80’s.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,947 of 4,423

Maxwell Firmware and App Updates​

Thank you for all the enthusiasm and support for Maxwell.

Today we have a firmware update available through Audeze HQ with some requested feature changes and bug fixes. An updated version of Audeze HQ for Android has been sent to Google and is expected to be available in the Play Store on or around Monday March 6.

Click to download the latest version of Audeze HQ for Windows or MacOS.

Xbox certification for Maxwell is still ongoing, and we will update you as soon as we know more. We are making every effort to ensure all orders ship as soon as possible.

------------------------------------------------------
2023/03/03
Audeze Maxwell Version 1.0.1.32
- Modified : Sidetone is set to off by default.
- Modified : Removed Bluetooth controls of play/pause/next/previous track when USB & BT are both active and USB mode is in use.
- Modified : BT Play/Pause is disabled when Dongle's slide switch is set to Xbox mode.
- Modified : Priority of LED when Line-in and Bluetooth simultaneously connected, and set BT LED first.
- Fixed : Xbox version, Reset priority of switching to PC mode.
- Fixed : Issue where the dongle would not automatically connect to PC under certain circumstances.
- Fixed : Bug where the LED displayed the wrong color due to a priority order change.
- Fixed : Bug where Bluetooth could not control play/pause when a wired connection was active.
- Fixed : Bug where the mic would still pick up audio on PC if the mute switch was down.
- Fixed : Select 24bits/96KHz in USB mode noise issue.
- Canceled : Amplifier gain limit.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,949 of 4,423

Maxwell Firmware and App Updates​

Thank you for all the enthusiasm and support for Maxwell.

Today we have a firmware update available through Audeze HQ with some requested feature changes and bug fixes. An updated version of Audeze HQ for Android has been sent to Google and is expected to be available in the Play Store on or around Monday March 6.

Click to download the latest version of Audeze HQ for Windows or MacOS.

Xbox certification for Maxwell is still ongoing, and we will update you as soon as we know more. We are making every effort to ensure all orders ship as soon as possible.

2023/03/03
Audeze Maxwell Version 1.0.1.32
- Modified : Sidetone is set to off by default.
- Modified : Removed Bluetooth controls of play/pause/next/previous track when USB & BT are both active and USB mode is in use.
- Modified : BT Play/Pause is disabled when Dongle's slide switch is set to Xbox mode.
- Modified : Priority of LED when Line-in and Bluetooth simultaneously connected, and set BT LED first.
- Fixed : Xbox version, Reset priority of switching to PC mode.
- Fixed : Issue where the dongle would not automatically connect to PC under certain circumstances.
- Fixed : Bug where the LED displayed the wrong color due to a priority order change.
- Fixed : Bug where Bluetooth could not control play/pause when a wired connection was active.
- Fixed : Bug where the mic would still pick up audio on PC if the mute switch was down.
- Fixed : Select 24bits/96KHz in USB mode noise issue.
- Canceled : Amplifier gain limit.
Weill you be able to update using the app like the Penrose did?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back