Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,951 of 4,444
A request for Audeze, could you have the priority be aux>usb-c>dongle>bluetooth? My only annoyance after using the Maxwell for a day is that my preferred connection is usb-c during the day when working, but if I want to use it I need to unplug the dongle from my gaming PC. Why is the dongle higher priority than usb-c? Doesn't make much sense since if you are going to the trouble of plugging a wireless headset you should assume that that is what the user wants? The reason I don't want to use aux is that the volume seems lower, microphone quality seems worse (at least with my work pc), and I also want to charge while I work. If you enable this priority, or give us a preference to set it up the headset would be 100% perfect for me.
These are a gaming headset. Why wouldn't the dongle be more priority over USB c?

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #1,952 of 4,444

Maxwell Firmware and App Updates​

Thank you for all the enthusiasm and support for Maxwell.

Today we have a firmware update available through Audeze HQ with some requested feature changes and bug fixes. An updated version of Audeze HQ for Android has been sent to Google and is expected to be available in the Play Store on or around Monday March 6.

Click to download the latest version of Audeze HQ for Windows or MacOS.

Xbox certification for Maxwell is still ongoing, and we will update you as soon as we know more. We are making every effort to ensure all orders ship as soon as possible.

------------------------------------------------------
2023/03/03
Audeze Maxwell Version 1.0.1.32
------------------------------------------------------
- Modified : Sidetone is set to off by default.
- Modified : Removed Bluetooth controls of play/pause/next/previous track when USB & BT are both active and USB mode is in use.
- Modified : BT Play/Pause is disabled when Dongle's slide switch is set to Xbox mode.
- Modified : Priority of LED when Line-in and Bluetooth simultaneously connected, and set BT LED first.
- Fixed : Xbox version, Reset priority of switching to PC mode.
- Fixed : Issue where the dongle would not automatically connect to PC under certain circumstances.
- Fixed : Bug where the LED displayed the wrong color due to a priority order change.
- Fixed : Bug where Bluetooth could not control play/pause when a wired connection was active.
- Fixed : Bug where the mic would still pick up audio on PC if the mute switch was down.
- Fixed : Select 24bits/96KHz in USB mode noise issue.
- Canceled : Amplifier gain limit.
so we can make EQ settings with this update ?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #1,954 of 4,444
You will be able to customize EQ's 1 through 4 using the Android Audeze HQ App, when the updated version for that goes live on the Google Play store, which we expect by Monday.

This functionality is still coming later for the Windows and MacOS versions, as well as the iOS version when we launch that later in the year.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 3, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #1,955 of 4,444
Hmmm very interesting. I actually think the opposite - they sound very clear and not particularly warm. Definitely closer to neutral across the board with decent detail. Imo they sound incredible. And this is on USB PC Dongle, PlayStation and my Android phone (no HQ app on that). Wonder if you have a bad pair or if this is just a subjective difference in opinion? And I have Philips Fidelio X2HR for dynamic reference and Hifiman Edition XS for open back planar reference. And Maxwells sound pretty good against those as well.

I agree, it is def closer to neutral and midrange is surprisingly detailed. Treble isn't obnoxiously forward like other headphones so it wont be bright but it def is not warm or bloated. I like how it strides the line of being neutral/fun. And most of the time I am on the Audeze Preset anyway.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #1,956 of 4,444
It’s Friday, the mentioned firmware I assume isn’t happening this week. Why was it even mentioned, I checked every day.
They were waiting for the last min lol. Came through though
So I have just been told that the MAxwell has Automatic gain compensation enabled with the stock EQs on the Maxwell that could be the issue with volume.
Isn't AGC for the mic?

Because why would you have a wireless headset wired unless you want to use it that way?
I guess the argument would be if you were using a device to charge it. I see your point though. I know if I had it wired to a device, it would be to use it wired.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #1,957 of 4,444
no this is the first planars i’ve ever heard. they aren’t bright, just sounds muffled overall, not much detail and clarity. very warm sounding. i adjusted the bass on the phone and it sounded worse. in dolby on the pc the bass sounds great, almost too much.

Is there a flat profile you can choose from without any enhancements to see if that makes things better? Sometimes a poor EQ can cause this problem. I find most planar drivers to sound pretty neutral, detailed and with great clarity when it comes to mids. There was a firmware update released just moments ago, perhaps this might help to 'reset' things.

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #1,959 of 4,444
I agree, it is def closer to neutral and midrange is surprisingly detailed. Treble isn't obnoxiously forward like other headphones so it wont be bright but it def is not warm or bloated. I like how it strides the line of being neutral/fun. And most of the time I am on the Audeze Preset anyway.
and that might be what i’m used to bc i’ve never had higher end headphones. i have to say something has changed with the latest firmware, they do sound better. i’ll dig into them this weekend more. just received them. thx for the input guys

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,960 of 4,444

Isn't AGC for the mic?

I guess the argument would be if you were using a device to charge it. I see your point though. I know if I had it wired to a device, it would be to use it wired.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...se-or-why-the-volume-drops-when-you-boost-EQ-

This Is what I am referring too. Yesterday the Audeze account on here told me this wasn't implemented on the Maxwell but today one of their staff through email told me its implemented on the stock eqs and will be on the custom eqs too.

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,961 of 4,444
Mar 3, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,962 of 4,444

Isn't AGC for the mic?

However it would be incredibly rare to have two systems that support wired audio and that you woukd only use one of them specifically to charge while you listen wired to the other system. Not impossible but much more of an edge case than having a wired connection to listen or to listen and charge at the same time.

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,963 of 4,444
You are using them wrong
I'm not, that's the reason I picked up a device capable of multiple device connections. I have multiple PC's and devices that I use for different things. When I work I'm wired next to the computer. When I game I'm in my couch far from my PC. I don't want to constantly change the dongle. And like I said, if you are plugging it in, it's because you want to use the wired connection. Why even offer the option if that's not an intended use case?
My only point is that the device priority they decided on is wrong and inconsistent. Makes no sense that aux has priority but Usb-c doesn't over the dongle. It also makes no sense that aux audio has priority but not the microphone (it is forced to the dongle when plugged in aux).

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,964 of 4,444
i’d imagine they should sound great out the box, especially with everyone raving about them. i guess i can use them this weekend and see how it goes and do a return next week if it doesn’t get better. now it did sound a little better on my samsung tablet vs my iphone pro max. i was comparing on youtube music app. i’ll try it on the pc too. wish i knew someone or somewhere locally that was selling it to where i could compare to see if i do have a bad one. perhaps they sound like they supposed to and i’m just way off base. i have no real comparison to make against any other higher end headphones. these are the most expensive ones i’ve had. but they don’t sound any clearer than my corsair HS80’s.

Yeah, try the other sources. I don't want to say it's just the Bluetooth audio that could be hampering your sound because I tested on Bluetooth on my Android phone and it sounded great. Have you tested them on PC using the USB dongle and compared the sound vs. Bluetooth? It should at least sound solid through the USB Dongle.

Honestly, don't beat yourself up too much about it. Audio can be subjective and if it doesn't sound that great to you, then that's that. Return them and get something you enjoy - especially if you're spending $300!

Personally, I believe headphones have a "break-in" period. And I'm talking about the human side (not hardware - and even that is subjective. I've heard people argue about the validity of that). When I first tried the Maxwells when they were delivered, I was coming from the Steelseries Nova 7x Wireless which were my daily drivers for calls and gaming, and let me tell you, I felt underwhelmed by the Maxwell at first. It was only after a few days of listening that my ears got used to the sound signature, effectively "adjust" and that's when they started to shine and I realized how good the sound was.

Again, this is my personal experience and your mileage may vary. I have a friend who used Hyper X Cloud II Wireless as his daily driver and when I lent him my Sennheiser 599s, he thought they sounded bad 🤣 - so yeah, everyone experiences audio differently!

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,965 of 4,444
You will be able to customize EQ's 1 through 4 using the Android Audeze HQ App, when the updated version for that goes live on the Google Play store, which we expect by Monday.

This functionality is still coming later for the Windows and MacOS versions, as well as the iOS version when we launch that later in the year.
I always have the wrong version....PC player and IOS user LOL hope later in the year isnt like Q3 and Q4 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back