Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 13, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #6,361 of 6,486
Coming from a semi closed and closed, open can be weird at the beginning because the bass tends to be further away and the larger sound stage can be really strange for some type of music.

I would recommend trying out classical, concerts, blues and jazz to enjoy what open back can be.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #6,362 of 6,486
Do the EL8 sound better after burn in?

My brand new new EL8's don't sound anywhere as good as the Dealer Demo pair which had over 100hours run time.

Only 5minutes run in time on my EL8's.

Th

When Audeze replaced my old El-8's with a new pair, I have given them a couple hundred hours burn in and feel the effort (and wait) was well worth it.  Gone is a slight dryness and lack of depth in the bass.  Am very pleased with what am hearing now.   So if you a new one, hook up a DAP and let it go.  Come back in a week.  It will be easier to recognize improvement if you can avoid grabbing early listens.

gl

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #6,367 of 6,486
  Anyone here is using custom cable for EL8? balanced?

I bought the entry level canare cable from c3audio http://www.c3audio.com/store/p99/Audeze_EL-8_Headphone_Cable_--_Canare.html to use with my Jotunheim. Although the difference may be attributed to the difference in power between the balanced and unbalanced connections, If I remember correctly the biggest difference I noticed was not so much the loudness but the control in the songs I A/B'd vs using the standard cable. Tighter Bass, Clearer Mids/Vocals, etc. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #6,368 of 6,486
I bought the entry level canare cable from c3audio http://www.c3audio.com/store/p99/Audeze_EL-8_Headphone_Cable_--_Canare.html to use with my Jotunheim. Although the difference may be attributed to the difference in power between the balanced and unbalanced connections, If I remember correctly the biggest difference I noticed was not so much the loudness but the control in the songs I A/B'd vs using the standard cable. Tighter Bass, Clearer Mids/Vocals, etc. 

Yeah exactly for the same reason i want to get balanced. I wanted to build of my own but the lack of connectors ruined my dream. I will look for the canare cable...

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #6,369 of 6,486
Yeah exactly for the same reason i want to get balanced. I wanted to build of my own but the lack of connectors ruined my dream. I will look for the canare cable...

You might be able to the EL8 connectors from Audeze or the other vendor that has them is Moon Audio ($35), not cheap, I was thinking of building my own cable also but the price of the connectors put it on hold at the moment.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,370 of 6,486
You might be able to the EL8 connectors from Audeze or the other vendor that has them is Moon Audio ($35), not cheap, I was thinking of building my own cable also but the price of the connectors put it on hold at the moment.

I saw them. The same thing happened to me for its price. I talked with ventura electronics. Lets see if they can help me.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #6,372 of 6,486
  Anyone here is using custom cable for EL8? balanced?

using Moon-Audio Black Dragon Balanced (4-pin XLR)...  pairs nicely with the EL-8...

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #6,374 of 6,486
  why does the Moon-audio black dragon pair nicely with the el8?

To my ears, overall, a slightly more rich, robust sound with bass tightened up and smooth treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back