Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #6,376 of 6,486
FYI everybody:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/839643/audeze-el-8-titanium-headphones-with-cipher-lightning-cable-balanced-cable-free-shipping

Great deal on Titaniums EL-8 at less than half the price!

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #6,378 of 6,486
Hello Head Fiers! :) Making my first post right here as I have just purchased these headphones and cannot wait to hear these before and after burn in to compare! I've read these forums on and off since about 2009, always drooling about the headphones typically praised here. Never actually took the dive to buy any of them until now, 8 years later! Thank you to all of you in this epic community. without your reviews and many awesome threads I'd be a lot less informed and well guided.

I had Bose QC25 before this but the left driver gave out after 2 years of heavy use and some abuse. they served their purpose well even though I had to EQ the **** out of them. I also used and still will use my A&H Xone 53 for mixing. Mostly because they are tough as hell. I also use Bragi Dash as my on the go, going to the gym buds. I've only had the Bragi for about a month, and am actually very happy with them after the firmware updates and making sure I get a new pair with good connectivity. I haven't tried many high end headphones, as they arent typically seen in Best Buys, Sorces and stuff like that. The most "high end" headphone I owned were the Beats Studio. Haha! I paid full price too... Oh God. That was about eleventh grade high school though. I've grown since. B-) (however I do still believe they have good soundstage and separation even with the whacky way they are tuned... maybe that will change soon hehe)

Well having said that, it was finally time to buy a big boy headphone, a real set of cans. So i just spent a good chunk of my paycheque on...

Oppo PM-3
Oppo HA-2SE
Fiio X1ii
128GB SD card
and... of course,
Audeze EL-8O (v2 confimed y storeowner)

I get home on Sunday, and get to unbox all this!

So freakin excited. I'll listen to the EL-8 first, then set a playlist of pink noise tracks with some music from various genres mixed in between. Think I'll then listen to the Oppos mainly, long as I can resist touching the Audezes too much before they're ready. :)

About the amp, from what I've been reading the HA-2SE should be a decent match with both the Audeze and the PM-3. People don't complain at least.

Yeah I guess I'm just here to brag. I have no real questions. The forum search function has answered them all for years. It's nice to "meet" yall though. Wooh!

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #6,379 of 6,486
@slankoe, welcome to head-fi and hope you enjoy the EL8.  I don't quite understand why you would not want to listen to them and think that they need to be "burned-in" since the basic sound signature will not change much with these newer versions.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #6,381 of 6,486
@slankoe
, welcome to head-fi and hope you enjoy the EL8.  I don't quite understand why you would not want to listen to them and think that they need to be "burned-in" since the basic sound signature will not change much with these newer versions.

Hey man thank you for the warm welcome. My reason is because I want to find out if I can hear the difference. Probably won't, or placebo will fool me. I don't know. Maybe I'll just listen a lot and possiby hear the change over time! Also curious if burn in is real as they say. Never experienced it with dynamics, maybe its a planar thing.

I'm trying to elim8nate all expectation...

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #6,382 of 6,486
Hey man thank you for the warm welcome. My reason is because I want to find out if I can hear the difference. Probably won't, or placebo will fool me. I don't know. Maybe I'll just listen a lot and possiby hear the change over time! Also curious if burn in is real as they say. Never experienced it with dynamics, maybe its a planar thing.

I'm trying to elim8nate all expectation...

​FWIW my EL8 was one of the originals from 2014 and the sound changed quite a bit from day one to 250+ hours, it went from dark/warm to warm after about 50 hours and then to warm/neutral at some point around 200-250 hours and have stayed that way since.  If anything the mids were a bit recessed at first and now they are about right.  This was one of the issues with the EL8 when they were first came out and many had an issue with what the end sound signature was but with the revised drivers in Dec 2015/Jan 2016 these new drivers don't seem to change much with burn-in per a friend who has one from Nov last year.  Also, the revised drivers sound different from mine (took mine to the Apple store to compare back in Jun of 2016 and again in Dec) and also compared with my friends.  The most noticeable difference is the bass extension on mine is better but not as much mid bass and the mids of mine are a bit more forward than the new driver.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #6,383 of 6,486
​FWIW my EL8 was one of the originals from 2014 and the sound changed quite a bit from day one to 250+ hours, it went from dark/warm to warm after about 50 hours and then to warm/neutral at some point around 200-250 hours and have stayed that way since.  If anything the mids were a bit recessed at first and now they are about right.  This was one of the issues with the EL8 when they were first came out and many had an issue with what the end sound signature was but with the revised drivers in Dec 2015/Jan 2016 these new drivers don't seem to change much with burn-in per a friend who has one from Nov last year.  Also, the revised drivers sound different from mine (took mine to the Apple store to compare back in Jun of 2016 and again in Dec) and also compared with my friends.  The most noticeable difference is the bass extension on mine is better but not as much mid bass and the mids of mine are a bit more forward than the new driver.

Oh nice. that's good to know. I actually don't mind less mid bass as long as the sub bass is good, love me that sub bass. When you say yours have better bass ext, do you mean that if my EL-8 are like your friend's was, then mine will not have as much depth in the bass region?

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #6,384 of 6,486
Oh nice. that's good to know. I actually don't mind less mid bass as long as the sub bass is good, love me that sub bass. When you say yours have better bass ext, do you mean that if my EL-8 are like your friend's was, then mine will not have as much depth in the bass region?

Depending on the recording mine can sound like it has less bass since the mid bass is not as prominent but on tracks that the bass goes into the sub bass frequencies then mine sound like it has more bass. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,385 of 6,486
Lets tease ourselves..............
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back