Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 30, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #6,394 of 6,486
I noticed that a lot of people do it to the Hifimans and the monolith m1060 as well as other planars, so it piqued my curiosity.

Do you mean the cloth that is covering the drivers?  Like the coin mod for the HD650 where you cut a hole in the foam that is covering the driver?

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #6,396 of 6,486
While i haven't tried to remove the cloth from my EL8 i did try it on my HD650 and it did make it sound a touch brighter but it also gave the highs a little of an edge that I didn't like, takes away from the relaxing sound signature of the HD650.

I tried different pads on my HE400, 400i and 560 and most have a slightly different material covering the drivers but since these headphones are bright to begin with I wouldn't remove the cloth covering the drivers to make it even brighter.

Also, by removing the cloth is leaving the driver exposed to hair & dust so I don't think its something I would do, just my personal preference.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #6,397 of 6,486
Good to know. Thanks for the input.
Follow up question: Have you, by any chance, tried the el8 with the schiit jotunheim? I want to buy a desktop headphone amp and was considering the jot, although it seems like a bright amp from what I've read so far. I auditioned the audeze deckard today and I liked the synergy with the el8. Do you know if any good amps around $500 that sound great with the el8?

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #6,398 of 6,486
Good to know. Thanks for the input.
Follow up question: Have you, by any chance, tried the el8 with the schiit jotunheim? I want to buy a desktop headphone amp and was considering the jot, although it seems like a bright amp from what I've read so far. I auditioned the audeze deckard today and I liked the synergy with the el8. Do you know if any good amps around $500 that sound great with the el8?

Tried the Jot once, its a little on the bright side IMO and didn't pair well with my HD700, HD800, HE560 and T1 but its quite good with the HD650 and decent with LCD-2, didn't try my EL8 on it.  I normally use the headphone output of my Teac UD-301 or a Ember for the EL8.  I've only heard the Deckard once and its a great pairing with most Audeze headphones but I haven't really listened with other headphones on it so that's an unknown on how they will pair with other than Audeze headphones.

There are quite a few good amps in the $500 range, one of the best that I've heard is the HA-501 (usually around $575 to $625), G-109, Project Ember ($350) and Polaris ($250), and Liquid Carbon (used ones are $500-600).  One of the better pairings is a Hugo but its way over your price point but its one of the few DAC/amps that is really good with both a HD800 and HE560 along with the EL8 and if I didn't have the amps that I have now its something I would consider since it works with almost any headphone I've tried it with.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,400 of 6,486
Do you know if any good amps around $500 that sound great with the el8?

I highly recommend the Chord Mojo. With my EL-8C the sound is really amazing. You will also be getting a portable option with it. Make sure you have clean USB though if you plan on using this input (it also has optical/coax) - it does make a big difference.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #6,401 of 6,486
My sweet Jesus, they sound amazing. I am in love! These are so clean I'd consider using them as reference/monitors for production. Comfy and the one of the largest soundstages I have ever heard. Senn HD800 sounds larger, but are more expensive. When reading reviews I saw many weren't too happy about SS, but having not heard that many high end headphones, I really dont get the complaints. To me these sound MASSIVE, like I'm in the middle of a show rather than on headphones. But again I haven't heard enough headphones in depth.

The sound is what I would praise the most. Comfort is good, but need adjustment if you move your head around too much. I was concerned about the weight, however the design distributes the stress of the weight well when on my head.
One thing I'd say is a con is that they leak a lot of sound, as well as letting in a lot of sound outside the earcups. Therefore these are best suited for home use. To me not a problem.
Also, I have to say I didn't like the sound right away. At first listen I thought they were a bit muddled in the treble region. But the sound grew on me, or changed. If this is what "burning in" a headphone is all about, It'd be the first time I've ever experienced that sort of phenomenon. Nonetheless since the cans grew on me, I don't wanna take them off my head. Them 10cm drivers can really pack a BOOM.

The Oppos are good too. And for the price, they better be! Excellent depth and extension in the bass. Very pleased with them, they will be my on the go headset. Might be decent for DJing at home but going out I'd still take the Xone 53 becaue they are indestructible. Oppo built these well, but they are a bit prettier and it would be a shame to damage that bling factor. Also a comment on fit: I have small ears, and these Oppo earcups are a bit smaller than many headphones. They may not fit over everyone's ears comfortably! To me they are perfect. The Oppo headphones sound a lot like the Audeze, just a cut below it basically. Feels more in my head while the Audeze are way open and good for stage.

The EL-8 sound good with the Oppo HA-2SE. Actually, almost exactly the same. I can hardly tell the difference playing directly from my source (Fiio X1ii) vs through the amp. Need to conpare more but it isnt as much of a difference as i expected. I might return the amp. Apparently these headphones dont need it? I don't see the benefit now.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #6,402 of 6,486
Which Oppo h headphones did you get? I think the PM2 are incredible. And also yes the SS on the el8 are not bad at all.. actually quite good.

To my ears the el8 is one of the most pleasant sounding headphones made today at any price range.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #6,403 of 6,486
My sweet Jesus, they sound amazing. I am in love! These are so clean I'd consider using them as reference/monitors for production. Comfy and the one of the largest soundstages I have ever heard. Senn HD800 sounds larger, but are more expensive. When reading reviews I saw many weren't too happy about SS, but having not heard that many high end headphones, I really dont get the complaints. To me these sound MASSIVE, like I'm in the middle of a show rather than on headphones. But again I haven't heard enough headphones in depth.

The sound is what I would praise the most. Comfort is good, but need adjustment if you move your head around too much. I was concerned about the weight, however the design distributes the stress of the weight well when on my head.
One thing I'd say is a con is that they leak a lot of sound, as well as letting in a lot of sound outside the earcups. Therefore these are best suited for home use. To me not a problem.
Also, I have to say I didn't like the sound right away. At first listen I thought they were a bit muddled in the treble region. But the sound grew on me, or changed. If this is what "burning in" a headphone is all about, It'd be the first time I've ever experienced that sort of phenomenon. Nonetheless since the cans grew on me, I don't wanna take them off my head. Them 10cm drivers can really pack a BOOM.

The Oppos are good too. And for the price, they better be! Excellent depth and extension in the bass. Very pleased with them, they will be my on the go headset. Might be decent for DJing at home but going out I'd still take the Xone 53 becaue they are indestructible. Oppo built these well, but they are a bit prettier and it would be a shame to damage that bling factor. Also a comment on fit: I have small ears, and these Oppo earcups are a bit smaller than many headphones. They may not fit over everyone's ears comfortably! To me they are perfect. The Oppo headphones sound a lot like the Audeze, just a cut below it basically. Feels more in my head while the Audeze are way open and good for stage.

The EL-8 sound good with the Oppo HA-2SE. Actually, almost exactly the same. I can hardly tell the difference playing directly from my source (Fiio X1ii) vs through the amp. Need to conpare more but it isnt as much of a difference as i expected. I might return the amp. Apparently these headphones dont need it? I don't see the benefit now.

What version of the EL8 do you have, the 2016 version, or the older ones?

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #6,404 of 6,486

I also have an ha-2 and was disappointed by all the rave reviews it got. To me, it didn't sound much better than an iphone jack. I later bought an xduoo xd05 and installed the burson v5i op amp and wow, it totally changed the sound. Both my oppo pm-3 and el8 sounded spectacular. I'm currently eyeing the schiit jotunheim right now as i want a desktop amp.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #6,405 of 6,486

I highly recommend the Chord Mojo. With my EL-8C the sound is really amazing. You will also be getting a portable option with it. Make sure you have clean USB though if you plan on using this input (it also has optical/coax) - it does make a big difference.

How would you describe the mojo's sound, and would it be better than the schiit jotunheim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back