Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6,331 of 6,486

Okay.  That is helpful.  The 2 people I have spoke to about this gave me completely different information about an all new EL8.  So I am just going to buy an old EL8 in San Francisco when I am there in April and because I really liked the sound.  It was around January 5th I heard the titanium version at an Apple Store.  Would the pair I heard be the latest revision or old?

If just a week or so ago it would have to be the latest driver, the two apple stores here in Hawaii had the new drivers from Feb of last year.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,333 of 6,486

Sorry it was january 5 2016.

Borderline as for the new or old drivers but IIRC the aluminum version was not made with the older drivers since it was introduced with the new drivers around Dec15/Jan16 time frame.  Maybe others who have better memory can correct me about this.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #6,334 of 6,486
  Borderline as for the new or old drivers but IIRC the aluminum version was not made with the older drivers since it was introduced with the new drivers around Dec15/Jan16 time frame.  Maybe others who have better memory can correct me about this.

What do you mean by "aluminum version"? Do you mean the yokes? - Does that mean, that the frame used to be out of (spring) steel or sth., prior to that?

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #6,335 of 6,486

What do you mean by "aluminum version"? Do you mean the yokes? - Does that mean, that the frame used to be out of (spring) steel or sth., prior to that?

I think he means the Titanium version originally only sold at Apple Stores.  They are sold everywhere Audeze are sold for the most part now.  It was only an Apple Store exclusive briefly upon release because of the Cipher cable.   They do not have the wood veneer earcups.  They have titanium I believe.  They are an extra $100.00 because they include the Cipher cable.  I do not know if they have any differences in sound to the updated wooden ones or not.  There are different opinions on that.

Riley

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #6,336 of 6,486

I think he means the Titanium version originally only sold at Apple Stores.  They are sold everywhere Audeze are sold for the most part now.  It was only an Apple Store exclusive briefly upon release because of the Cipher cable.   They do not have the wood veneer earcups.  They have titanium I believe.  They are an extra $100.00 because they include the Cipher cable.  I do not know if they have any differences in sound to the updated wooden ones or not.  There are different opinions on that.

Riley

Ok, thx for the info!

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #6,338 of 6,486

That is what I understand as well, but I am certainly no expert and do not claim to be.

Riley

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #6,339 of 6,486
The fairly rude email I got from Mark Cohen seemed more like they were trying to cover something up and he was angry that somebody that should not have this information.  He was very defensive and almost calling me out and blaming me.  I wonder if the people that tried the 2.0 in NYC had to sing a non disclosure agreement or something?  Not be a conspiracy theorist, but it seems suspect.

Riley

The 2.0 is was strictly to fix quality control issues and is not a "new" headphone coming out

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #6,340 of 6,486
The 2.0 is was strictly to fix quality control issues and is not a "new" headphone coming out

I knew someone would know this
biggrin.gif
.  How are your stained EL8's these days? 

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #6,341 of 6,486

That is what Mark Cohen from Audeze emailed me.  He seemed to be very unhappy that I inquired about this.  I don't know why.  Not speculate or create rumors, but I have a little feeling it could be his way of denying a new product that he doesn't want most people knowing about yet.  He seemed pretty defensive and angry to me.

Peace

Riley

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #6,342 of 6,486
Can anybody tell me whether break in is significant with these cans? I want to go hear them at the retailer and wonder if I should ask them to burn them in beforehand. I'm talking about the closed backs, if it matters.
And let's not make this a discussion about whether break in is real or not...

Thanks

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #6,343 of 6,486
  Can anybody tell me whether break in is significant with these cans? I want to go hear them at the retailer and wonder if I should ask them to burn them in beforehand. I'm talking about the closed backs, if it matters.

Thanks

I have the open-back version and there was a HUGE difference in the sound once they opened up after breaking them in. Although my method of break-in is just listening to my favorite records over and over several times and noticing the difference.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #6,344 of 6,486

Thanks

while I don't believe in break-in the EL8 is the one exception that I really noticed a change in sound.  Took about 200+ hours to finally settle into what it has become.
Mine are also the open version and its also the original version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back