Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Aug 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #6,183 of 6,486
Hi all, I get my EL-8s tomorrow and was hoping that someone might know if the balanced cable Audeze offers would work with the Fiio X7 and the balanced AM3 amp module?

ETA: Just got an email from Audeze saying that the balanced cable works with the AM3. (just in case anyone cares) :) 

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #6,186 of 6,486
Please contact Audeze. They might replace them with a new pair of EL-8. I have recently got a Adorama deal for EL-8 (closed) for 400$ Refurbished (but got new pair in sealed white box). Serial number was E1290008 and they are mind blowing. Till now I haven't heard the crackling yet.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #6,187 of 6,486
What a great experience I had buying these directly from Audeze. All my questions were answered, over the phone, I received them in 2 days, I don't think they could have been packaged any better and so far I absolutely love the design and materials used. 

My ears still need to adjust to the sound, it wasn't like OMG these are the greatest HP's ever but as the day progressed I just continued to get happier and happier with what I was hearing.

P.S. Audeze claims these are fully broken in prior to shipping. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #6,188 of 6,486
I have a 2016 pair, and they crackle when I adjust them on my head. They do it every so after if I adjust. I guess that isn't a normal thing.  Maybe crackle is a bad description. It more sounds like rustling a plastic bag until I get them seated.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #6,189 of 6,486
  I have a 2016 pair, and they crackle when I adjust them on my head. They do it every so after if I adjust. I guess that isn't a normal thing.  Maybe crackle is a bad description. It more sounds like rustling a plastic bag until I get them seated.

Call Audeze, 714-581-8010. As I mentioned above, they were very helpful.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #6,190 of 6,486

Sounds like driver flex, which is harmless and quite probable owing to the lightness of the driver diaphragm.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #6,191 of 6,486
Can i get some opinions on how the EL8 opens compare to the LCD-2? Cheers.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #6,192 of 6,486

My girlfriends does the same thing, rarely, but sometimes - I have heard about this issue from a friend too.. I would call Audeze and ask them about it, but come back here and tell me why haha I haven't figured it out either.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #6,193 of 6,486

My girlfriends does the same thing, rarely, but sometimes - I have heard about this issue from a friend too.. I would call Audeze and ask them about it, but come back here and tell me why haha I haven't figured it out either.

Hello  

Thanks for your purchase and for your inquiry. Regarding the sound you mentioned: When air is trapped inside the ear cup there is not much space for the air to escape, and as the headphones shift you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is normal and is nothing to be worried about, it's the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the air suction against the driver components. Some listeners have reported that it decreases after some hours of break-in, while others report that it remains. 

Different listeners seem to have different tolerance levels for the sound as well: while it may not bother me, you may find the same sound unacceptable. It's very subjective and due to the handmade nature of our drivers each pair seems to have a slightly different level of "crinkling" and a slightly different pitch to it as well. 

With all that said, if you find the sound is above your tolerance for it we'll be happy to replace your headphones for you under warranty. If you'd like to do that, just let us know and we'll start the RMA process for you.

Best Regards,
--Kim

=============
Kimberly Wright
Audeze LLC

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #6,194 of 6,486
  Hello  

Thanks for your purchase and for your inquiry. Regarding the sound you mentioned: When air is trapped inside the ear cup there is not much space for the air to escape, and as the headphones shift you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is normal and is nothing to be worried about, it's the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the air suction against the driver components. Some listeners have reported that it decreases after some hours of break-in, while others report that it remains. 

Different listeners seem to have different tolerance levels for the sound as well: while it may not bother me, you may find the same sound unacceptable. It's very subjective and due to the handmade nature of our drivers each pair seems to have a slightly different level of "crinkling" and a slightly different pitch to it as well. 

With all that said, if you find the sound is above your tolerance for it we'll be happy to replace your headphones for you under warranty. If you'd like to do that, just let us know and we'll start the RMA process for you.

Best Regards,
--Kim

=============
Kimberly Wright
Audeze LLC

Something tells me it can't be the driver/diaphragm doing that. I mean - If that were the case, wouldn't they encourage you to send back asap? If the diaphragm were being shoved around and pressed up against the other components and being as thin as they are - couldn't that potentially permanently damage them?

I always felt like it was something in the headband or some other part.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #6,195 of 6,486
Something tells me it can't be the driver/diaphragm doing that. I mean - If that were the case, wouldn't they encourage you to send back asap? If the diaphragm were being shoved around and pressed up against the other components and being as thin as they are - couldn't that potentially permanently damage them?

I always felt like it was something in the headband or some other part.

I always felt it was the seal. It happens infrequently for me, but I will let it ride a little longer before taking her up on the offer for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back