Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #4,158 of 6,486

I have yet to see any believable explanation for why it would sound worse on a desktop amp than a portable player.

Theoretically, the electric and mechanical damping of the headphone may be close to critical damping before being connected to an amp. The further damping of a low output impedance amplifier could push the phone into overdamping, which people may not like as much. As I said, this is theoretical. I haven't seen the numbers.

This might help to understand: http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=61841

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,159 of 6,486
  Theoretically, the electric and mechanical damping of the headphone may be close to critical damping before being connected to an amp. The further damping of a low output impedance amplifier could push the phone into overdamping, which people may not like as much. As I said, this is theoretical. I haven't seen the numbers.

This might help to understand: http://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=61841

That is certainly an interesting theory. Wish things were easier to find out in this perplexing hobby/lifestyle of ours.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #4,160 of 6,486
Not trying to bring up the whole portability discussion again; just looking for info to determine whether they might be portable *for me*.  Can someone tell me the dimensions of the EL8s (interested in closed, but whatever) lying down flat, as they come in the box?  I currently travel with some closed cans in a case; they also lie flat and the case works out to 11"H x 9"W x 2.75"D.  If the EL8s are close to that, I'd consider throwing them in a bag inside my travel bag -- without the box, of course.  Maybe.  

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4,161 of 6,486
Re: output impedance and damping - it would be an interesting experiment to run a listening test at different impedances by inserting resistors in the output circuit. Obviously you need to start with a low impedance amp and increase in small steps. This should be pretty simple for DIY'ers. I believe some have done a similer exercise with the HD800 and found a sweet spot.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #4,162 of 6,486
  Not trying to bring up the whole portability discussion again; just looking for info to determine whether they might be portable *for me*.  Can someone tell me the dimensions of the EL8s (interested in closed, but whatever) lying down flat, as they come in the box?  I currently travel with some closed cans in a case; they also lie flat and the case works out to 11"H x 9"W x 2.75"D.  If the EL8s are close to that, I'd consider throwing them in a bag inside my travel bag -- without the box, of course.  Maybe.  

measured mine: 9-1/4" w by 9" h by 2-1/4" depth

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #4,164 of 6,486

I like it, but it doesn't blow me away, and I really want to try the EL-8.

I think you may be disappointed with the EL8 based on what you have been asking in these threads.  IMO the HD-700 has a much more interesting sound signature than the EL8.  My girlfriend and all of those who have tried my EL8, HD-700, HD=650, LCD-2, RS2e, SRH-1840 on my desktop DACs and AMPs have been really underwhelmed with the EL8 even when they didn't know the price and more so when they found out the price.  The only time they think the EL8 is good is when using a portable source (iphone/Fiio X3/Galaxy S5, Note3, ipad) where its easy to drive nature shines.  Another thing I noticed is that most of the females that tried the EL8 don't like the weight and fit, their hair gets caught in the joint between the pad and metal headband.
Anyway, hope you get to try a EL8 soon and it blows you away, off to the driving range......

I would wager that the EL-8 is simply revealing the true sound of your desktop system. It seems your party doesn't like how your system "really" sounds. To state that it is because the EL-8 sounds better on an iPod is utter nonsense - sorry.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #4,165 of 6,486
I would wager that the EL-8 is simply revealing the true sound of your system. It seems your party doesn't like how your system "really" sounds.
To state that it is because the EL-8 sounds better on an iPod is utter nonsense - sorry.

I totally agree with you. Trying to figure out how I could get my hands on an EL-8 sooner rather than later.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #4,170 of 6,486
I found a perfect hardcover case for it.  CaseBudi fits it perfectly snug.
Quote:

Those pics are helpful; thank you.  I just figure that portable for me means can I get them in my on-airplane bag in the same space that my current headphones currently occupy.  Answer for that seems to be yes.  By every other measure -- yeah, they're huge.  Still debating  . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back