Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #4,174 of 6,486
I would wager that the EL-8 is simply revealing the true sound of your desktop system. It seems your party doesn't like how your system "really" sounds. To state that it is because the EL-8 sounds better on an iPod is utter nonsense - sorry.

As for my system being "revealed" by the EL8, I say the EL8 under performs on it.  And for "my party doesn't like how my system "really" sounds" is based on what?  Their majority impression of the EL8 being an "okay" headphone and that it sounds about as good on portable devices like an iphone or S5 or Note3?  I was giving my and some friends impression of a headphone that most of us thinks doesn't scale much with better equipment.  A friend from Japan who just visited the other week who has really high end stuff, like Stax SR009 and SR007 with a Blue Hawaii Amp (heard this pair a few years ago when I went to visit him, saving for this) to drive them along with most of the top headphones and amps like HD-800, T-1, T-90, RS1i, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X, WA7d, WA5, WES, HA-1, HA-501, HDVD800, and a whole bunch of other audio gear liked what I have and said it sounded really good compared to what he has at about 1/100 the price.

There are others who would say the same about the EL8's performance on portable devices and that it didn't seem to scale well with better equipment.

Also, I didn't say that the EL8 sounds better on an iPod, I said it "shines when driven with portable devices" not that it sounds better than when driven by my desktop system.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #4,177 of 6,486
If the el8 sounds really good for its price, not being picky about source components is a big advantage in my books. Why are you guys sounding like this is a negative towards the el8??

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,178 of 6,486
If the el8 sounds really good for its price, not being picky about source components is a big advantage in my books. Why are you guys sounding like this is a negative towards the el8??

Because a headphone can only sound so good on an iPhone. Ideally you would have decent sound out of an iPhone or cheap DAC, but great sound coming out of better source equipment. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #4,179 of 6,486

I think part of the negativity is that when Audeze came out with this headphone many anticipated that it would be like their higher end LCD line.  I think the market segment that the EL8 was designed for are people in the beats/bose camp looking to move up, not those that have been exposed to high end gear.  I think that this headphone is for Audeze to expand their market share by making it more affordable and easily driven by cel phones or similar portable devices.  If you think about it almost everyone has a cel phone these days so if you have gadget that goes well with it you have a large market share already there.  Just my 2 cents 

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4,180 of 6,486

I think part of the negativity is that when Audeze came out with this headphone many anticipated that it would be like their higher end LCD line.  I think the market segment that the EL8 was designed for are people in the beats/bose camp looking to move up, not those that have been exposed to high end gear.  I think that this headphone is for Audeze to expand their market share by making it more affordable and easily driven by cel phones or similar portable devices.  If you think about it almost everyone has a cel phone these days so if you have gadget that goes well with it you have a large market share already there.  Just my 2 cents 

I agree. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #4,181 of 6,486
  You missed the point. He is simply saying on a portable device it was really good (for that purpose), but it didn't sound any better (as one would expect) on his desktop. His experiences matches mine perfectly.

And again...wasn't he one of the people who said it sounded worse on a desktop system? The answer is either yes or no. I can't recall.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #4,182 of 6,486

You missed the point. He is simply saying on a portable device it was really good (for that purpose), but it didn't sound any better (as one would expect) on his desktop. His experiences matches mine perfectly.

And again...wasn't he one of the people who said it sounded worse on a desktop system? The answer is either yes or no. I can't recall.

Do a search.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,184 of 6,486

The fact is, kapanak, DavidA and others, myself included, have actually bought EL-8s and listened to them extensively, using a variety of systems. As I have said before, the cans performed better to my ears when driven by portable devices. They also sounded good on my main system, but they didn't rise to the level of sound quality I expected or wanted.

Very likely, you need to hear these phones for yourself to determine if this holds true for you. Only your ears will tell you how the EL-8 sounds to you. I hope you get to do that soon.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #4,185 of 6,486
  As for my system being "revealed" by the EL8, I say the EL8 under performs on it.  And for "my party doesn't like how my system "really" sounds" is based on what?  Their majority impression of the EL8 being an "okay" headphone and that it sounds about as good on portable devices like an iphone or S5 or Note3?  I was giving my and some friends impression of a headphone that most of us thinks doesn't scale much with better equipment.  A friend from Japan who just visited the other week who has really high end stuff, like Stax SR009 and SR007 with a Blue Hawaii Amp (heard this pair a few years ago when I went to visit him, saving for this) to drive them along with most of the top headphones and amps like HD-800, T-1, T-90, RS1i, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X, WA7d, WA5, WES, HA-1, HA-501, HDVD800, and a whole bunch of other audio gear liked what I have and said it sounded really good compared to what he has at about 1/100 the price.

There are others who would say the same about the EL8's performance on portable devices and that it didn't seem to scale well with better equipment.

Also, I didn't say that the EL8 sounds better on an iPod, I said it "shines when driven with portable devices" not that it sounds better than when driven by my desktop system.

ok i honestly do agree with the bolded here.  For some reason, i like the sound of the EL8 + HA2 + Phone as opposed to my dedicated desktop amp...i know it sounds weird but i totally get where you are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back