Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,601 of 6,486
I'd say the PM-3s are doing alright considering the fact that they always get compared to headphones at much higher prices.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,602 of 6,486
  switchable backs... that will never happen in a million years from Audeze. guaranteed.

Yes, besides, I think the difference between closed and open EL8 is more that just the backs. I'm sure there is some driver venting differences as well.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,603 of 6,486
Yes, besides, I think the difference between closed and open EL8 is more that just the backs. I'm sure there is some driver venting differences as well.

Heard them both yesterday at the Raleigh/Cary NC meet. The only end are the better sounding to my ears. The opens are closer to the LCD2/3's and the ones closer to the XC.

I don't want to get into specifics at the moment but I will later if I get some time to sit down in front of a keyboard.

Long story short they sound good but I ended up canceling my pre-order for the closed. I want and need closed but looks like I'm just spoiled with the XCs. Was going to get a pair for work but they didn't tickle my fancy like I was hoping.

A quick direct comparison from closed to XC: the closed hit the mark. Great soundstage and detail. It did sound a but more synthetic. When I switched back to the XC it's about the same feeling when Netflix jumps from 480p to 1080p on HD. It's like you didn't realize but once you notice it its hard to go back.

The opens a were much more musical and not as bright. Much closer I'm sound sig of the LCD2's but still a ways off similar to the above comparison.

I'll write more later about it.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,604 of 6,486

Please tell me that the guitar tone is less laid back/polite with the Open-Back EL-8 versus the LCD-2 ? (I'm a Grado guy..)

Do they have enough bite to shine with distorted electric guitars ?

They are like all other Audeze headphones IMO with guitars...fantastic! Great "bite"...the EL-8s have more of that treble "bite" than the LCD-2s to my ears.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,605 of 6,486
I am a little irritated now. My right drivers will lose sound easily with the 3.5mm audio cable. and everytime I readjust it, it will lose sound again. I am curious if this is a manufacturing problem on the the insertion slot of the right audio cable or if it is a problem with the 3.5 audio cable itself.

I notice the 3.5 audio cables tend to slip off easily, where the jacks will disconnect halfway with slight movements. And because they went with the flat, no tangled wiring design, I feel this is a sensitive issue as you really have to be careful with them (such as when you are listening to music from a portable player in your pocket). 

I notice that we had two similar issues earlier in this thread so I am not pleased. Especially since I barely have these for less than two weeks.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,606 of 6,486
  I am a little irritated now. My right drivers will lose sound easily with the 3.5mm audio cable. and everytime I readjust it, it will lose sound again. I am curious if this is a manufacturing problem on the the insertion slot of the right audio cable or if it is a problem with the 3.5 audio cable itself.

I notice the 3.5 audio cables tend to slip off easily, where the jacks will disconnect halfway with slight movements. And because they went with the flat, no tangled wiring design, I feel this is a sensitive issue as you really have to be careful with them (such as when you are listening to music from a portable player in your pocket). 

I notice that we had two similar issues earlier in this thread so I am not pleased. Especially since I barely have these for less than two weeks.

I had a similar issue with a different pair of headphones and the 3.5mm cable...I then tried another player and it went away. My iPod Nano's headphone out, wasn't so "nano". I'd try another player first.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,607 of 6,486
I had a similar issue with a different pair of headphones and the 3.5mm cable...I then tried another player and it went away. My iPod Nano's headphone out, wasn't so "nano". I'd try another player first.

Yeah... It's definitely a issue . I have tried with two different sources with same results (also tried with my MacBook and it's not working) . Theres definitely something wrong with it . I just hate that I got to go through this whole exchange process now

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #3,608 of 6,486

So much for proprietary plugs on the EL-8, Audeze mini xlr's would have been much better!

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,609 of 6,486
So much for proprietary plugs on the EL-8, Audeze mini xlr's would have been much better!

As a general rule proprietary connections suck.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #3,611 of 6,486
It's the amp end that's had problems (at least with the users who've reported issues). The proprietary headphone end shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Problems have been reported with both ends. In general reports of problems seem too high at this stage, we'll see if they remain so as the sample size increases.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #3,614 of 6,486
The problem may be that the interior wiring of the soft 3.5mm connector is easily damaged.  Mine is real flaky - the slightest stress on the cable or tapping on the connector causes the audio to start to disconnect.

The cable issue and the lack of a semi-rigid case for transport are about my only complaints, though.  Otherwise I'm really enjoying listening to my EL-8 closed backs.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3,615 of 6,486
  The problem may be that the interior wiring of the soft 3.5mm connector is easily damaged.  Mine is real flaky - the slightest stress on the cable or tapping on the connector causes the audio to start to disconnect.

The cable issue and the lack of a semi-rigid case for transport are about my only complaints, though.  Otherwise I'm really enjoying listening to my EL-8 closed backs.

The 3.5mm connector needs to be fixed mine is already broken and had to be replaced. It is a simple switch at the factory from soft rubber to ABS. I also expect them to send us the new cables free of charge. And I know Audeze reads these I would like a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back