Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,166 of 6,486
Just got my EL-8 Closed.... they are soon much fun!

first of all, the packaging is soon much better than my LCD-3 (pre Fazor).

Secondly, the construction is simply amazing, great feel, very study. The wood is not a problem although I would have loved to have it darker (side comment).

Thirdly, the sound is not what you would expect from an LCD 3, BUT, yes BUT it is so much fun, the music is punchy, and although the soundstage is surely not as wide, it is satisfying. Bass is exactly what I was hoping it would be, present, clear and very precise. I feel, and I might be mistaken, but the bass seems more present on the EL-8 Closed. I need to give a lot more listening to have my mind clear as for now I simply have been enjoying it all around the place.

I want to add :
it is correctly positioned as far as R&D / Price ration goes. By this I mean, you feel that enough work went into this headphone to justify the price point.
Also, I have no clue how, but they seem a lot lighter than the LCD 3. 

The EL8 must be lighter, EL8 closed 480gm vs LCD3 Fazor 630gm!

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,167 of 6,486
I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but if anyone reading the thread has purchased either model of the EL-8A AND owns both a Pono and a pair Senn 600s, I'd love to hear if you feel the combo justifies the increased cost over the HD600s...thanks!

I have the el8's (closed back), HD600s and a pono.
I use the HD600s with a balanced cable.
LOVE my pono.
IMHO,
The el-8s blow away the HD600 in every way
At least thru a PONO with no external amp.
I'm so happy with the el8s and the pono together, I'm going to go back and listen now.
BTW,
Linda Rondstad's What's New on the PONO in DSD through the el8s is sublime.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,168 of 6,486
Where are these coming from? Who has the EL-8 (open or closed) available ? Cant find them anywhere .

I'm not associated with RazorDogAudio or anything and don't mean to knock any other sites that may be doing ads here or whatever but they should still have some pre-order slots open.

Link: http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/audeze

That's where I got mine pre-ordered from. They said they should be shipping next week hopefully. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,169 of 6,486
I have the el8's (closed back), HD600s and a pono.
I use the HD600s with a balanced cable.
LOVE my pono.
IMHO,
The el-8s blow away the HD600 in every way
At least thru a PONO with no external amp.
I'm so happy with the el8s and the pono together, I'm going to go back and listen now.
BTW,
Linda Rondstad's What's New on the PONO in DSD through the el8s is sublime.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I have a set of Venus Audio balanced cables for my 600s, specifically for use with the Pono.  I absolutely love the balanced output on my Pono and think it's truly one of the best values in audio..

I don't want to distract you from the joy of listening, but, when you have time, you think the EL-8 closed in a single-ended configuration bests the HD600 in balanced mode?  I couldn't imagine much better than I have now, so I'm excited!
What would you say you are hearing in terms of improvements?

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #3,172 of 6,486
This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I have a set of Venus Audio balanced cables for my 600s, specifically for use with the Pono.  I absolutely love the balanced output on my Pono and think it's truly one of the best values in audio..

I don't want to distract you from the joy of listening, but, when you have time, you think the EL-8 closed in a single-ended configuration bests the HD600 in balanced mode?  I couldn't imagine much better than I have now, so I'm excited!
What would you say you are hearing in terms of improvements?

IMHO, EL-8s better in every way.
The only way I can describe it is, the el-8s give you everything in the recording.
It a broadband improvement.
I've always thought the HD600 roll off too quickly at both the extreme low and high end.
The HD600 give you they're version of the recording.
I also have the Venus Audio cable for the HD600s and loved it.
I didn't get to bed until 5am because I couldn't take off the EL-8s.
That hasn't happend in a long time.
I'm on Billie Holiday's Lady In Satin in DSD.
"I'm A Fool To Want You" is devastating.
I thought the wood color was a little too light for my taste, so I rubbed in some lemon oil and I love the look now as well.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,174 of 6,486
IMHO, EL-8s better in every way.
The only way I can describe it is, the el-8s give you everything in the recording.
It a broadband improvement.
I've always thought the HD600 roll off too quickly at both the extreme low and high end.
The HD600 give you they're version of the recording.
I also have the Venus Audio cable for the HD600s and loved it.
I didn't get to bed until 5am because I couldn't take off the EL-8s.
That hasn't happend in a long time.
I'm on Billie Holiday's Lady In Satin in DSD.
"I'm A Fool To Want You" is devastating.
I thought the wood color was a little too light for my taste, so I rubbed in some lemon oil and I love the look now as well.

You are talking about the open backed right? 

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,178 of 6,486
  Anybody have impressions of the EL-8 Open/Close vs. the LCD-2F?  Still deciding on which one to get. 

LCD-2F is more open bigger sound stage.  I'm new to the 2F (mine were 2.1 before) but I think the 2f is quite a bit better then the EL-8 Closed.  Better in imaging. Better instrument placement and separation.  If you can use the open nature of them then 2f is the better choice.  If you need isolation or to not disturb others the EL-8 Closed is great.    

1. mikemercer rated them this way the LCD-3f >LCD-2F > LCD-XC > EL-8 open.  I agree with his findings.   

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,179 of 6,486
Carmen, I love that little nook you've got there...Everything from the table to the statuette to the Stones book, to what looks like it could be either a lamp or a hookah...very stylish!

Thanx.
It's a lamp, and the headphone stand is a ten dollar banana holder from Bed Bath & Beyond.
My wife knows once the phones are on, I'm not movin'

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3,180 of 6,486
  LCD-2F is more open bigger sound stage.  I'm new to the 2F (mine were 2.1 before) but I think the 2f is quite a bit better then the EL-8 Closed.  Better in imaging. Better instrument placement and separation.  If you can use the open nature of them then 2f is the better choice.  If you need isolation or to not disturb others the EL-8 Closed is great.    

1. mikemercer rated them this way the LCD-3f >LCD-2F > LCD-XC > EL-8 open.  I agree with his findings.   

Thanks for the impression!  Ya, looking at the open ones since I'm usually too afraid to bring them out so it will be use at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back