Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 23, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #2,701 of 6,486
Im surprised no one has said it yet, but here is the quote from the email.

Greetings,
Thank you for your interest in our new EL-8 headphones- we are now ready to ship! We will start shipping this Wednesday, February 25th, so you can place your orders now. Please note that we are shipping by oldest order first, new orders may take a week or so to fulfill.
Kind Regards,
Audeze

Audeze just sent out this email to their subscribers.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2,702 of 6,486
I have yet to read through this whole thread (just skimmed) but I just want to add that I agree with everyone who prefers black over the veneer. I don't have an issue with veneers per se (if its a real wood veneer) but sometimes it looks fake/cheap. Perhaps if the grain ran the other direction or if it was a wood with less contrast, like quarter sawn white oak, mahogany, cherry, walnut, etc. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see them in person at CanJam. That said (about wood and veneer), I think the LCD-X are the best looking Audeze, and some of the best looking headphones out there.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,703 of 6,486
lol... we'll finally be getting some real impressions of production products with direct comparisons against other equipment. hope some unbiased & good reviewers get their hands on these! :)

looking forwarding to hearing more about these.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,704 of 6,486

Regarding the cables... we're still not able to tell you what's coming, awaiting various approvals, will spill the beans as soon as possible. 

So if I understand correctly, there's an 'easter egg' that is hidden somewhere inside of the cable ? 
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #2,706 of 6,486
  Im surprised no one has said it yet, but here is the quote from the email.

Greetings,
Thank you for your interest in our new EL-8 headphones- we are now ready to ship! We will start shipping this Wednesday, February 25th, so you can place your orders now. Please note that we are shipping by oldest order first, new orders may take a week or so to fulfill.
Kind Regards,
Audeze

Audeze just sent out this email to their subscribers.

Good news!!!, I ordered mine early this month, hope that I will get it soon

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #2,709 of 6,486
  Can't wait to hear people's impressions and read some more reviews.

The closed back look nice for when my girlfriend is asleep and I am still listening late at night.

SO sorry I haven't been back w/ more impressions fellas (Alexandra had a procedure late last week, just got home - and THANKS for ALL the positive messages on that front).

I've got tons of new notes I'll be sharing tonight!
Good to be home - getting back to work!!

Found a surprising amp that I've been enjoying w/ the open-back EL-8s - the NuForce HA-200!
I used to use this amp often - so I know it well - Impressions coming.

I've also been breaking in the new Burson Conductor Virtuoso - and have had some terrific sessions w/ that and the EL-8

I'll be back ASAP with detailed impressions!!
Well - I can safely say I know the EL-8s quite well now - so I'm nearing posting a review here on Head-Fi before publishing one elsewhere
biggrin.gif

Playing catch-up!!!! Four days DOWN..
Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be back tonight - or this afternoon if I can manage it!! 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #2,711 of 6,486
I just read your review on Enjoythemusic and am very excited to hear some more after getting even more excited reading through that post.

Those NuForce and Burson amps are gorgeous, now I need even more money to test out new products haha.

Will be interested to see your thoughts on the open versus closed back when you get those EL 8's in since I love my HD 650s but need a better pair of closed back.

Quote:

SO sorry I haven't been back w/ more impressions fellas (Alexandra had a procedure late last week, just got home - and THANKS for ALL the positive messages on that front).

I've got tons of new notes I'll be sharing tonight!
Good to be home - getting back to work!!

Found a surprising amp that I've been enjoying w/ the open-back EL-8s - the NuForce HA-200!
I used to use this amp often - so I know it well - Impressions coming.

I've also been breaking in the new Burson Conductor Virtuoso - and have had some terrific sessions w/ that and the EL-8

I'll be back ASAP with detailed impressions!!
Well - I can safely say I know the EL-8s quite well now - so I'm nearing posting a review here on Head-Fi before publishing one elsewhere
biggrin.gif

Playing catch-up!!!! Four days DOWN..
Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be back tonight - or this afternoon if I can manage it!! 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,712 of 6,486
I just called audio concepts in Dallas, they said they have some on order and should be available soon. I will for sure need to go down there and hear it in person once available. Looking forward to peoples impressions when they get their hands on the first wave of shipments.

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,714 of 6,486

Clearly 4 pins. My point was having 4 pins on the new connectors isn't anything new, whether each pin is being used or not.

All 4 Pins are connected to the cable. Each one has a signal going thru it.

I haven't pulled out a multimeter but I'd be willing to bet money that all 4 pins are used whether it be connected to SE or Balanced. More than likely it's related to being double sided vs single sided.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,715 of 6,486
Just the open in fact. Can't believe I didn't mention that. Apologies all for any confusion.

I tried them on a variety of tracks and genres - Tool, Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, GnR, Alanis Morissette, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, Kyuss, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Bruce Springsteen, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, Down, Skindred, probably a few others that escape me right now.

Definite no-go for metal for me, my tastes there are very specific though and not necessarily generalisable to all metal listeners (for example I really disliked my LCD-2 pre-fazor for metal and some loved it). There is such heterogeneity amongst metal subgenres though that preferences can vary wildly and all are valid - for example listeners of Black Metal may very well enjoy a less transparent/more forgiving headphone than others.

The official metal headphone thread here on headfi shows the LCD-X below par for metal compared to the LCD2 & LCD3. I personally prefer the X much more than the 2 or 3. It's cleaner sounding and the extended upper end makes for better enjoyment to my ears. Since the X I've gotten the XC which are leaner and lighter sounding by comparison but I like them even more.

Like I said before tho I have no quams about any LCD headphone and would gladly take any if it were my only option and be very happy. Call me a fanboy but I really love the house sound and detail of any Audeze. If the EL8 can extend their line while reducing the entry level price I'm all for it. I doubt they'd release a product that doesn't sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back