Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,996 of 6,486
While we're waiting for impression. Talking about "young women advertising" seem to be better than "portable/non-portable"
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,998 of 6,486
Had a brief listen. It has the same problem with all the Audeze headphones to me : Sound spectacular, but the weight/clamping force is too much. I heard TO ME minimal differences between the open and the closed, safe for a slightly more muffled highs in the closed (really slight, quite astonished how similar they sounded)

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,999 of 6,486
Had a brief listen. It has the same problem with all the Audeze headphones to me : Sound spectacular, but the weight/clamping force is too much. I heard TO ME minimal differences between the open and the closed, safe for a slightly more muffled highs in the closed (really slight, quite astonished how similar they sounded)

ur sonic impressions r pretty encouraging!

ya idunno tho. kinda hard to imagine a pair of headphones heavier than the he400 for practical portable use. but for ppl just nterestd n at home listening, i dont think itll b tat big of a problem

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,000 of 6,486
  but the weight/clamping force is too much. 

I was really disappointed when I heard about the weight of the EL-8.  (480g)

I'm sure that they will be very comfortable but the problem for me with the Audeze headphones has never been the comfort but the weight after 15/20 minutes.

We'll see...

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,001 of 6,486

This would indeed be excellent.  I tried a pair of AD Primes (converted) and they were okay, but sounded more veiled and muffled than the HD650s that cost half as much, never mind LCD-2 or 3 which are in a completely different league.  The AD Primes also had WAY too much bass, but that can be adjusted (I didn't, as I don't think the owner would have appreciated that).  A pair of closed cans that sound anything like LCDs???  Where do I send my money!!!

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,006 of 6,486
  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CES_2015/Mercer/

Wow great report Mike!

ThanX!!!

Was such a nice surprise to see that here!
I go into my experience w/ the EL-8s and the Deckard in the CES article above fellaz - for now!

It's called Gear and Roaming In Las Vegas
Just a backpack and headphone rigs

and it was a BLAST to write that sort of report - a diary-like adventure.
NOT just pix and commentary on the gear - I wanted to take the readers along w/ me,
and I got a PM from a reader this morning that MADE MY DAY:

"You know what i love about your show reports? You bring the reader into your world, and it's like getting on a ride at the carnival or at Disneyworld. The reader gets to live vicariously through your story, and that kind of thing creates a connection between them and you - and that really drives reader loyalty, IMHO. This is good stuff, as always!"

I was SO psyched it translated!! Took a chance with that one!

So - even IF they ship Ground - if Steve gets my EL-8s out today,
I might have em tomorrow - most likely Monday

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2,007 of 6,486
I was really disappointed when I heard about the weight of the EL-8.  (480g)

I'm sure that they will be very comfortable but the problem for me with the Audeze headphones has never been the comfort but the weight after 15/20 minutes.

We'll see...

My fostex th900 are 400g....and feel light and comfortable for hours...I'd describe them as medium weight....but more than acceptable for high end headphones using quality materials....they are nothing like the LCD range from Audeze to live with. I found the LCD xc a real animal to wear....the th900 isn't portable on the go as they are a little large and clamp lightly, so would fall off. If the el8's get the clamp force just right, as in firm but comfortable, along with their sleek low profile lines, then I think the closed back will travel very well....great sound will seal the deal!

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #2,008 of 6,486
This would indeed be excellent.  I tried a pair of AD Primes (converted) and they were okay, but sounded more veiled and muffled than the HD650s that cost half as much, never mind LCD-2 or 3 which are in a completely different league.  The AD Primes also had WAY too much bass, but that can be adjusted (I didn't, as I don't think the owner would have appreciated that).  A pair of closed cans that sound anything like LCDs???  Where do I send my money!!!

My demo and ownership experience says only the lcd3 edges the fostex th900....not heard lcdx though.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #2,010 of 6,486
[COLOR=141823]So - even IF they ship Ground - if Steve gets my EL-8s out today,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=141823]I might have em tomorrow - most likely Monday[/COLOR]

Sounds mighty iffy to me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back