Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #796 of 6,486
I was just about to buy an he-560...looking for a more comfortable planar I can wear all day while working (have not found the LCD 2 a viable choice for this function, no matter how much I love them). He-560 is still lighter, but there is a lot of talk about comfort here and from everyone who has experienced the EL-8. Can't wait to find out just how improved the comfort is...assume usability/ user comfort is an area where BMW Design dedicated a lot of expertise. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #797 of 6,486
This will be my first planar magnetic headphones... Let's see what all the planar magnetic being different than dynamic headphones fuss is about. Hifiman headphones are ugly as hell, and Audeze's other headphones seem to be overpriced. This looks like it hits the sweet spot in many ways, one being the rather affordable price, making it a good choice to try a planar magnetic.

Obviously it doesn't hurt it looks amazing and is designed by BMW design team. I have a 420d and love the BMW brand.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #799 of 6,486
  This will be my first planar magnetic headphones... Let's see what all the planar magnetic being different than dynamic headphones fuss is about. Hifiman headphones are ugly as hell, and Audeze's other headphones seem to be overpriced. This looks like it hits the sweet spot in many ways, one being the rather affordable price, making it a good choice to try a planar magnetic.

Obviously it doesn't hurt it looks amazing and is designed by BMW design team. I have a 420d and love the BMW brand.

I just got into planar's about 2 years ago with my first pair of LCD-2's. Since then I've picked up a pair of LCD-3F's, Alpha Dogs, HE-560's and now most likely this EL-8. Needless to say most people, once they go to planars, don't go back.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #801 of 6,486

I'm glad to see that people are citing the efficiency/"driveability" of these headphones. It's a point I've been emphasizing about the LCD-X since I first bought them. I don't do a lot of traveling, but having a headphone I love that can respond to nearly any source is really a massive selling point. I'm still amazed every time I plug the Xs into something like the Kindle Fire. The audio is just far, far better than I ever would have expected to be able to attain. While I still love something like the Beyer T1s, the portability/flexibility factor is something that I feel is too often overlooked. 

On that front, it seems something is up w.r.t. the sensitivity of the (updated?) LCD3, it is now quoted at 102 dB/mW instead of 93 db/mW (for reference the X'es are 103 db/mW). 
(http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-3)

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #803 of 6,486
Finding useful impressions in this thread is going to be a mother.

I'm excited that jude mentioned it as sounding the possibly the most open of all of the audezes. Fingers crossed as well for a slight bass bump but I doubt it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #804 of 6,486
  I don't think it's impossible for closed headphones (closed back and baffle) to be good. There are several out there that are - LFF's T50RP mods, Mr Speakers T50RP, NAD Visio HP50, Focal Pro and Classic. I have heard, and indeed modded for myself, any number of closed vintage planars to sound really pretty good.

High end? I haven't heard the new LFF or the Alpha Prime yet... but in the cases I have heard, not high end, no.

There have been attempts, like the T5P and XC, and while I haven't personally heard the XC from what I hear on this thread it has its issues just like the T5P does.

I actually believe it is perfectly possible for completely closed headphones to be high end (I have some ideas I'm not going to share in case I ever get to develop them) but the issue is that a lot of manufacturers don't design every part of the headphone with acoustic concerns in mind.

They make a chassis they think will look good, serve its ergonomic and functional purpose, then they set about tweaking the driver arrangement and damping the back chamber of the chassis until it sounds as good as it can. 

The T5P chassis is a T1 with the back closed and damped. The XC is an X with a bit of wood screwed to the back and damped.

When I heard the headset for the EL8 was designed by a third party I did have a little pang of worry. Were they given a strict set of parameters which had been arrived at for acoustic reasons and then asked to add some aesthetic flourish? Or were they asked to design something that looked cool and then worry about damping them as well as they can later? I hope not the latter, because that is never going to get ideal results. 

But I do believe it is possible as I said, and R&D needs to be poured into it as that is surely the end game of headphones. 

Sennheiser invented open backed headphones to solve a problem, which was cool. But I feel since the advent of open headphones the industry has stopped putting any effort into solving that problem, seeing an open back as a permanent solution. It's not a perfect solution though. Sound leaks out, sound leaks in. They are essentially like speakers but a bit quieter; not suitable for listening with others in the room who don't want to hear as well, impossible to take outside the house into a busy area. 

The true potential of headphones is a set that sounds as good as an Orpheus/009/pick your favourite, can be powered by a mobile device, and has perfect isolation from the outside world. We aren't going to get there without tackling the issues seriously.

Good reflection. What do you think of the JVC DX-1000 ear-cups? 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #805 of 6,486
I just got into planar's about 2 years ago with my first pair of LCD-2's. Since then I've picked up a pair of LCD-3F's, Alpha Dogs, HE-560's and now most likely this EL-8. Needless to say most people, once they go to planars, don't go back.

I LOVED my LCD-X/2's.. Seriously brilliant. I had to sell mine due to the weight,(damn my skinny neck:wink:) and was dissatisfied with every dynamic I tried afterwards.. Till I bought a HD700.. (Which, funny enough, is a polarising phone in itself) .. I then proceeded to read a review on Headphonia, which liked the tonality to the Audeze... Then it made sense!! As a footnote, everyone keeps going on about a treble spike, I can't hear it...

SO, if anyone likes planars, but can't stand the weight, give a HD700 a go:wink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #806 of 6,486

I'm excited that jude mentioned it as sounding the possibly the most open of all of the audezes. Fingers crossed as well for a slight bass bump but I doubt it.

I'm with you buddy.  We want to know what the BASS response is like, both for the open back and closed....................then we will BUY, right? 

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #807 of 6,486

I'm with you buddy.  We want to know what the BASS response is like, both for the open back and closed....................then we will BUY, right? 

I have a better idea for ya...pick up a little ZOfs from Digizoid. They synergy with the LCD-X is ridiculously good, so I'm sure it'll be the same with these new EL8s. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #808 of 6,486

Yes. I have been relying on eq a bit too much lately. If Audeze is trying to reach a larger crowd, some good solid bass will do it!

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #809 of 6,486
If this hp has stock Audeze house sound, then it will certainly have nice tight and extended bass. Audeze does bass as good or better than anybody in the business.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #810 of 6,486
I LOVED my LCD-X/2's.. Seriously brilliant. I had to sell mine due to the weight,(damn my skinny neck:wink:) and was dissatisfied with every dynamic I tried afterwards.. Till I bought a HD700.. (Which, funny enough, is a polarising phone in itself) .. I then proceeded to read a review on Headphonia, which liked the tonality to the Audeze... Then it made sense!! As a footnote, everyone keeps going on about a treble spike, I can't hear it...

SO, if anyone likes planars, but can't stand the weight, give a HD700 a go:wink:

OMG, you're a brave man! Such a post on this thread! You are looking for trouble! 
wink.gif

Now, seriously, l'm still looking for those terrible and dangerous (life-risking) treble spikes... Maybe we both are lucky enough that we don't hear them, and can enjoy the rest of the sound frequency 
smile.gif
 l don't give my LCD-2s more time than l give my HD-700. The more l listen to them, the more l like them.

Anyway, just to come back to topic, l am very interested in the EL-8 close-back... Had the XCs in mind but... no way, they are too heavy (l mean, heavier than the LCD-2? Not for me). Also, l like the fact that they seem to be quite portable, 1.2m cable... Tempting! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back