Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #811 of 6,486
  On that front, it seems something is up w.r.t. the sensitivity of the (updated?) LCD3, it is now quoted at 102 dB/mW instead of 93 db/mW (for reference the X'es are 103 db/mW). 
(http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-3)

The rest of the specs seem the same, the 110ohms etc., I would say they are just measuring the sensitivity a different way now.  I remember when the OPPO was released with sensitivity in the 100+ range, a rep from Audeze mentioned that they measure it a different way (closer to the hp) and if Audeze used that way they would be a lot higher too. But I don't really know, just a guess.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #812 of 6,486
OMG, you're a brave man! Such a post on this thread! You are looking for trouble! :wink:

Now, seriously, l'm still looking for those terrible and dangerous (life-risking) treble spikes... Maybe we both are lucky enough that we don't hear them, and can enjoy the rest of the sound frequency :smile:  l don't give my LCD-2s more time than l give my HD-700. The more l listen to them, the more l like them.

Anyway, just to come back to topic, l am very interested in the EL-8 close-back... Had the XCs in mind but... no way, they are too heavy (l mean, heavier than the LCD-2? Not for me). Also, l like the fact that they seem to be quite portable, 1.2m cable... Tempting! 

Haha!!! What can I say:wink:

Yes.. I'm tempted to try both the closed back and open.... Should be an interesting listen:) but it'll have to sound good with my HDVA:wink:

But I'm very happy with what I've got...

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #813 of 6,486
So exactly what kind of connectors are these or are they brand new?

Yea for some reason that's the only thing that stood out to me. 
o2smile.gif
 Look almost like lightning connectors. Was kinda disappointed to see a proprietary system like that. 

Finding useful impressions in this thread is going to be a mother.

I'm excited that jude mentioned it as sounding the possibly the most open of all of the audezes. Fingers crossed as well for a slight bass bump but I doubt it.

Yea, unfortunately, that's the way these threads go. Wish there was a way to have a 'sidebar' or some kind of system when useful posts get tagged. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #814 of 6,486
  This will be my first planar magnetic headphones... Let's see what all the planar magnetic being different than dynamic headphones fuss is about. Hifiman headphones are ugly as hell, and Audeze's other headphones seem to be overpriced. This looks like it hits the sweet spot in many ways, one being the rather affordable price, making it a good choice to try a planar magnetic.

Obviously it doesn't hurt it looks amazing and is designed by BMW design team. I have a 420d and love the BMW brand.

Personally I'd rather have a $500 "ugly" headphone that sounds as good as a $1000 headphone that looks amazing.  The only person who's going to see me wearing them is my wife and it's too late for her to care about how I accessorize!  lol

They're expensive, not overpriced.  They cost about as much as other TOTL headphones.

This is a fallacious argument.  Maybe the other TOTL headphones are also overpriced?  I know some die-hard HiFiMAN fans who believe the Audeze are indeed overpriced.  At the end of the day, "overpriced" is subjective.  Everyone is entitled to make a profit and fair pricing will be dictated by the market.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #815 of 6,486
  This is a fallacious argument.  Maybe the other TOTL headphones are also overpriced?  I know some die-hard HiFiMAN fans who believe the Audeze are indeed overpriced.  At the end of the day, "overpriced" is subjective.  Everyone is entitled to make a profit and fair pricing will be dictated by the market.

I see it this way - are they expensive? Yes. Objectively. Are they overpriced? I think - probably yes, but that's subjective.

Is Ferrari expensive? For sure. But is it overpriced? For some people yes, for some - no..

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #816 of 6,486

I have a better idea for ya...pick up a little ZOfs from Digizoid. They synergy with the LCD-X is ridiculously good, so I'm sure it'll be the same with these new EL8s. 

I have one of those...................and incredible vintage amps that bring all the bass I could want....................but still want a good starting point. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #817 of 6,486

I see it this way - are they expensive? Yes. Objectively. Are they overpriced? I think - probably yes, but that's subjective.

Is Ferrari expensive? For sure. But is it overpriced? For some people yes, for some - no..

Just to say, IMO, both 'expensive' and 'overpriced' could be measured 'objectively. There are different ways to set the price of a product, one being based on production cost (and the consequent benefit a company has to make, which can also be a small/large percentage). lf making an LCD-2 cost $600, then, objectively, l would say they are 'expensive'. Now, if making the LCDs cost $400, you could say they are overpriced. That is how l see it
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #818 of 6,486
  Just to say, IMO, both 'expensive' and 'overpriced' could be measured 'objectively. There are different ways to set the price of a product, one being based on production cost (and the consequent benefit a company has to make, which can also be a small/large percentage). lf making an LCD-2 cost $600, then, objectively, l would say they are 'expensive'. Now, if making the LCDs cost $400, you could say they are overpriced. That is how l see it
smile.gif

The product is only overpriced if people ain't buying it. There's nothing wrong in setting a fat margin as long as there's a buyer. Think Apple. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #819 of 6,486
Been off-line for a few days and now there's a new Audeze can announced and already this thread has 55 pages.
Wow, just wow.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #820 of 6,486

The product is only overpriced if people ain't buying it. There's nothing wrong in setting a fat margin as long as there's a buyer. Think Apple. 
rolleyes.gif

This is exactly what's wrong with Apple and others... That's the way of thinking we don't need and I hope will die.
Some profit margin is necessary obviously, but what some companies do is bordering scum & stealing IMO.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #821 of 6,486

rolleyes.gif

Sure, there is nothing wrong with asking whatever you want for a product you sell. Offer and demand.

l just wanted to say 'expensive' and 'overpriced' can be measured objectively. Are the LCD-3 overpriced? Yes. Are people buying them? Yes. Do you think making the LCD-3 incurs in a $1000 greater cost than LCD-2s? l don't think so. Anyway, as l said, just "the way l see it".

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #822 of 6,486
  This is exactly what's wrong with Apple and others... That's the way of thinking we don't need and I hope will die.
Some profit margin is necessary obviously, but what some companies do is bordering scum & stealing IMO.

As much as I don't like Apple (subjectively), I don't see anything inherently wrong in their way of doing business. They're for-profit organization, not a charity.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #823 of 6,486

Some companies yes.. but if you made a product and sold it for $5.. the demand was so great and people were willing to buy it for $12, you would continue to sell it for $5? If that were me, and I could make that much more to support my family and grow my business, Im doing it without hesitation.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #824 of 6,486

How about recouping R&D expenses? Development of some of these products takes years and large amounts of resources. 

I'm more of a market-focused person. Offer a product at a price. If it's bought in sufficient volume and the company makes money and customers are happy then it's a win. If it's "overpriced" to enough people and too few people buy it, then the company loses. 

However, if there's an illegal monopoly and prices are artificially inflated and do real damage to people (thing price-fixing on commodities/necessities) then that's clearly bad. Hard to argue that TOTL headphones are a necessity though...

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #825 of 6,486

Some companies yes.. but if you made a product and sold it for $5.. the demand was so great and people were willing to buy it for $12, you would continue to sell it for $5? If that were me, and I could make that much more to support my family and grow my business, Im doing it without hesitation.

You could even take it a step further:  What if demand at $5 was so great that you couldn't possibly supply everyone?  People start getting angry about delays, etc.  Raise the price, demand goes down and you can meet expectations.  Sometimes companies will raise prices to purposely price people out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back