Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #61 of 6,486
We enthusiasts are craving for new stuff, but I'm a bit lost in Audeze/HifiMan line-up hectic changes 
biggrin.gif

I've tried to understand Audio-GD line-up one day...biggest headache evar.
(And subbed BTW).

Ali

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #62 of 6,486
As some of you may have seen in another thread here, long-time Head-Fi'er arnaud posted an Audeze advertisement (from The Absolute Sound's January 2015 issue) for what looked like a new Audeze headphone called the EL-8:

Audeze hasn't posted any additional information yet.

As the ad mentions, the Audeze EL-8 will be launched at CES 2015, on Tuesday, January 6, 2015. If you are going to be at CES, make sure you stop by Audeze's exhibit at South Hall, Booth #22018. (Click here to see Audeze's exhibit on a floor map.) 

Here are other places at CES you'll be able to audition the EL-8:

• Chord Electronics in Venetian 29-222.
  • Meridian in Venetian 30-335. Meridian will be featuring the Audeze EL-8 (and Audeze's LCD models) for personal audio demonstrations of their MQA technology.
  • Burson Audio in Venetian 31-322.

Though still under embargo, I can say that Audeze will be introducing some compelling patent pending technologies in the EL-8, including a very innovative magnetic circuit, and new diaphragm technology (again, with more details about both to follow).

I've been listening to a pre-production Audeze EL-8, and I think it will easily be among the most significant headphone launches in our community this year. More detailed information (including price info) is still under embargo, but when the embargo lifts, I'll be posting more detailed information here.

As you can see in the photo below, the Audeze EL-8's design is also very striking (and very comfortable):

(Click on the photo to see a larger version.)

I took many other photos, and will post them after the press embargo is lifted.

Again, if you're going to be at CES 2015, make sure to stop by Audeze's exhibit. It will likely be my first stop on Tuesday, so perhaps I'll see you there, too.

1st pic is a closed back, 2nd pic open backed?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #65 of 6,486
looks amazing... let me sell my car first lol...

Audeze don't do cheap, we know this (even though many of us wish they did). New patents? These will be over $1000, I'd bet my first born on it :p

However, doesn't mean they won't be worth it.

They surely don't look cheap, but to me they look smaller, lighter and cheaper than the LCDs. My bet is its specially made for portable use, hence the need for new technology. My guess is around USD500-600.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #66 of 6,486
They surely don't look cheap, but to me they look smaller, lighter and cheaper than the LCDs. My bet is its specially made for portable use, hence the need for new technology. My guess is around USD500-600.

+1, I would guess something like $699-$799, which would still be an excellent value for an Audeze headphone. I would be surprised  to see these over 1k, but you never know.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #69 of 6,486
Thx Jude. Looking forward to more information! Cheers

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #70 of 6,486
Over at http://www.audio360.org/news_n0000015_audeze_el-8_to_debut_at_CES.php (my underline added):

Well, we had Mercer reach out to his friend Alex Rosson, CEO of Audeze, to see what's up. Here's what he had to say:
"Hey Michael. The EL-8 isn't a replacement for the LCD series however it is an outstanding experience featuring new technology and amazing industrial design. I wish I could say more but I urge those to come visit us at CES and experience music on the EL-8. We're really grateful to the personal audio communities such as head-fi and have been listening to you all over the years and we hope this product attracts more enthusiasts that share the same passion as we do for quality and personal audio. See you at CES!"
Audeze will be at Booth #22018, South Hall, CES 2015.

I think the way I'm reading that is that it's targeting a lower price point than the LCD line.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #72 of 6,486
I was hoping it would be a closed-back headphone similar in size to the Oppo PM-3, but from this pic it doesn't appear to be closed. Oh well, I bet I'll want em anyway. 
a good closed back planar headphone is the Alpha Dog or the Alpha Prime, both are less expensive than audeeze LCD-XC.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #75 of 6,486
Color me curious. They only reason that I haven't been able to own an Audeze long term is comfort/weight. I'm hoping for big gains in both departments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back