Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,217 of 6,486
Jan 10, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,218 of 6,486
Jan 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,219 of 6,486

Brother of Penelope Cruise?

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,220 of 6,486
Please write to Audeze and tell them what you just wrote here. It's not too late to get this changed.

looks like you're running a campaign man. :wink: i hope they don't change it.

Agreed. Audeze owes a lot of their success, past and future, to the community here. And it's not like they've been shy about making tweaks or offering alternatives before. If enough people email them about the wood grain they might at least sell something else as an option. I wonder if it would be OK to open up a new thread just for discussion of the headphone's looks, so Audeze can readily see the criticism?

Personally I'd prefer all black like the LCD-X, it goes better with the curvy modern look. Can't say I'm all that interested for $699 though.

i ike the use of wood veneer in this design. it's an attractive contrast to all black and a nod to audeze's previous models. it doesn't look at all tacky imo - unlike the hifiman he-560.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,221 of 6,486
  I for one appreciate your enthusiasm Mike. If you don't get excited and/or moved listening to music then you may well be missing the point. Of course what excites each of us will vary from person to person, so it's important when reviewing the gear that makes the magic happens to express it in terms where even someone who does not share your personal preferences about sound can come away having read that review and have some useful information to aid in making a buying decision. We'd all like to have the luxury having an open and closed EL-8 to audition before we spend our hard earned money, but that's just not the reality that most of us live in.

I'm sure that your "official" review will come with a dash of objectivism and put some real perspective on the performance of these hp's. Personally, here is what I'm looking for from the reviewers:

1. How does the EL-8 compare to the rest of the Audeze in terms of bass response, tonality  (of voices and instruments ), sound staging and treble.

2. Since many people are considering their first Audeze headphone, it might be helpful to compare the EL-8 to some of the more popular hp's out there such as the hd6x0...

3. How is comfort, relative to weight and clamp, after an hour...or four hours. 15 minute auditions at a booth don't always tell you what you need to know about long term comfort.

4. How does the EL-8 respond to amp and source. Does it scale well with expensive gear or get to about 95% of it's performance with modest upstream gear?

5. Because the EL-8 is an all new product, I'm concerned about the potential of failure and warranty issues with long term use. Are there any parts and materials that might be an issue down the road. Audeze, in fairness, has not had a great track record here, so the question needs to be asked.

6. Unless I've misunderstood, the EL-8 comes with a four foot cable. Is this possible? Surely the shipping unit would have a six foot cable included, yes?

The community needs reviewers like you Mike. We need your passion and "excitability." As long it comes tempered with a dash of objectivity. I hope that my comments don't come across negatively. I have lot's of respect for the work that you do and what it means to the community.

Matt

Matt:

ThanX - and these are ALL terrific questions!
I'm copying them for my next listening session, which is gonna be tonight  - latenight...
But I gotta do more amp/DAC combos and such for real impressions.

Thus far - the closed EL-8 is such a pleasure - but I'm still in post-CES CRAZED mode!!

I will say this: The closed-back EL-8 is SO captivating AND comfortable when it comes to electronic music.
I'm playing artists like HecQ, Art Department, Reid Speed, Damian Lazarus, Mr. C, Recondite - and especially when mated to my AK240 or Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp (CEntrance) on my AK120 - these combo systems sound like desktop systems in terms of overall dynamic gestalt and soundstaging.

The industrial design (BMW Group - this is no marketing ploy) - I love it - feels like my B&O H6 - which say what you will, its a damn nice headphone - (build-wise and sonically for me) - the band is fantastic for my head - which is small - clamping force is NO issue with me on either model too - VERY nice change!

On closed-back EL-8:

- The highs are crisp, but NOT brittle or bright for me - and quite transparent
 - Terrific mid-range clarity and presence
 - Low-end has solid extension and still haven't experienced any over-hang
 - I would also PREFER A LONGER CABLE!! + I believe the cable and terminations (which can be loose at times, though this is a beat-down floor model - formal review pair coming) are still being finalized - but I'll make a formal inquiry about that.

They also do a great job with singer/songwriter stuff:

Ani DiFranco's "Hearse" (sappy song, one of our songs - me and the wifey - and since she's so sick I play it alot lately) was so airy and open, and her voice was rendered so beautifully, with such nuance and finesse (seen her live over 10X) that it freakin' got to me... Her guitar was so alive and dimensional it felt like it was RIGHT THERE - like playing my old set of Maggie 3.6s! Ani used to use Maggies at home too - so all her stuff sounds terrific on planar speakers...

You keep on rockin', Mr. Excitable!! 
beerchug.gif

CHEERS

Hopefully, I can use EL-8 closedback for walking outside!

I almost got run-over because of the damn things - tempted to share impressions of the EL-8 with a SubPac - not for here you guys think??

Originally Posted by mikemercer   
I just got back from a long midnight hike - using my Glove Audio A1 (CEntrance) and open EL-8 - and usually I use either my Alpha Primes, Mad Dog Pros,Monster DNA Pros (yup) or others depending on my mood at home ....

Dear.... God!!! 
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh, hey, blame Jude for this one 
wink_face.gif
 - was part of the beta-team. I really dig the DNA Pros - I even dig the on-ears (OK OK, off-topic there) - so I was psyched to be part of that!!
looks like you're running a campaign man.
wink.gif
i hope they don't change it.
i ike the use of wood veneer in this design. it's an attractive contrast to all black and a nod to audeze's previous models. it doesn't look at all tacky imo - unlike the hifiman he-560.

I also like the wood complement very much - BUT - I would also LOVE an all black version.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #1,222 of 6,486
If you could compare the bass vs a mad dog pro that would be most helpful. I think the rest of its signature is understood. So far impressions of the bass have been somewhat grey. Do they have less bass than the pro?

I totally forgot to get back at ya on this!!

Got them lined-up  and going through tracks for this A/B for you - and I love the Mad Dog Pro!
Could be my new fave MrSpeakers headphones!

Just during set-up for this test - I can say the bass on the EL-8 had far better detail retrieval while selecting tracks like Hecq's "Bette Noire" off Avenger
or Daft Punks "Get Lucky" - but the Pros may go a bit deeper...
You made this VERY interesting - THX!!!

Results ASAP!!

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,223 of 6,486
On closed-back EL-8:

- The highs are crisp, but NOT brittle or bright for me - and quite transparent
 - Terrific mid-range clarity and presence
 - Low-end has solid extension and still haven't experienced any over-hang
 - I would also PREFER A LONGER CABLE!! + I believe the cable and terminations (which can be loose at times, though this is a beat-down floor model - formal review pair coming) are still being finalized - but I'll make a formal inquiry about that.

Interesting... long is the closed EL-8 cable?
If Audeze you guys are reading this please!! do not spec the closed one with a cable longer than 1.5 meters. Nothing worse than dealing with excess cable on portable headphones!!!

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,225 of 6,486

I'm pretty sure if not Audeze, somebody else will make 4-pin balanced cables for these headphones... they have +/- leads on both sides...so its just a matter of termination...

If it is a proprietory connection at the cups, you can maybe only re-terminate what they have with the retail unit.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,226 of 6,486

If it is a proprietory connection at the cups, you can maybe only re-terminate what they have with the retail unit.

True!

And for the looks of it, it looks as if its propietary. Perhaps Audeze will make their own balanced cables as well. In the end... I'm sure there will be options for those who want to run them balanced.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,227 of 6,486
True!

And for the looks of it, it looks as if its propietary. Perhaps Audeze will make their own balanced cables as well. In the end... I'm sure there will be options for those who want to run them balanced.

True x2!

Hard to believe that Audeze would provide both SE and balanced cables with their LCD's and then not provide a balanced cable (their own and/or vendors) for the EL-ates.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,228 of 6,486
True x2!

Hard to believe that Audeze would provide both SE and balanced cables with their LCD's and then not provide a balanced cable (their own and/or vendors) for the EL-ates.

Different price point = less room for frills.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,229 of 6,486
Different price point = less room for frills.

True, but I didn't say they wouldn't charge for them!

Cheers

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,230 of 6,486
I hope someone compares the EL-8 to the He-400i. I loved the he-400i's and wonder how much better the Audeze EL-8 are?. These cans are seriously tempting me lol. I must be strong and follow the path of the Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back