Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 10, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,202 of 6,486
The < $800 price for an Audeze headphone made me stand up & take notice, gotta admit.  I am fighting the urge to buy blindly based purely on Audeze's great reputation + (relatively) low asking price.  I never thought they'd offer something sub-$1,000 much less $700.  I'm in the market for a new DAP, so I'll just sit on the sidelines for a few months & see how the EL-8 are critiqued.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,204 of 6,486
Personally I don't get the hate for the way these look, imho they look quite nice, though yes I do somewhat prefer the way the LCD-2 etc look. Hopefully they sound nice, might be in for a pair. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,205 of 6,486
  Personally I don't get the hate for the way these look, imho they look quite nice, though yes I do somewhat prefer the way the LCD-2 etc look. Hopefully they sound nice, might be in for a pair. 

The LCD-2s look MUCH better in person, and I think I've heard others say the same about these new beauties. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,206 of 6,486
Any word on a balanced 4 pin xlr cable?

That's not going to happen. he EL-8 uses a new connector which appears smaller and lighter (which is a good thing).

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,209 of 6,486

What does the size and weight of the connector have to do with having a balanced cable?

You asked about XLR. That isn't going to happen. There should be another balanced cable available though.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,211 of 6,486
Jan 10, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,213 of 6,486
  Have to admit, I'm also not a big fan of the way these look. The style looks great, but the wooden looking part around them, imo, looks awful.

Still, looks aren't super important to me so I'm very interested in these.

Please write to Audeze and tell them what you just wrote here. It's not too late to get this changed.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,214 of 6,486

Please write to Audeze and tell them what you just wrote here. It's not too late to get this changed.

Agreed. Audeze owes a lot of their success, past and future, to the community here. And it's not like they've been shy about making tweaks or offering alternatives before. If enough people email them about the wood grain they might at least sell something else as an option. I wonder if it would be OK to open up a new thread just for discussion of the headphone's looks, so Audeze can readily see the criticism?

Personally I'd prefer all black like the LCD-X, it goes better with the curvy modern look. Can't say I'm all that interested for $699 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back