Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #5,026 of 6,486

Planars tend to sag in the upper mids, where energy lies.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #5,027 of 6,486
  The Open EL-8 sound already changes quite a bit depending on how you place them on the head, and the treble behaviour is unpredictable. Today their treble sounds congested and messy, I've played a few games with them on and heard a lot of distortion during complex explosions and laser effects. I've hit the 15 hour mark in terms of burn in time, interested to see how the treble performance is affected over the course of burn-in. I'm switching between my HD800s and Fostex TH900s to compare against their treble, both are my reference for clean, distortion free treble reproduction. I'm pretty much indifferent to the EL-8s in terms of wanting them to sound better because I already have better cans and all planars have never sounded wholly realistic or engaging to me. But I am interested in seeing in how much the EL-8s change over burn in.

I don't think there is any top end distortion at the top end, its just the upper mids and the treble is very forward sound (sort of grado like) well not really but still very forward. the sound still has some space and imaging is excellent (300hz and 30hz square waves are clean and tight) also I think it sound pretty fast although soundstage leaves for a bit to be desired, and also the lower treble is a bit withdrawn (slightly but doesn't bother me)

What bothers me is the soundstage and the comfort the clamping force is too much for my liking

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #5,028 of 6,486

Can anyone (?Audeze) confirm if they burn them in prior to shipping? 

They already have, earlier in this thread, though I don't recall the number of hours.

Anyway, I agree that most or all difference people perceive is in their heads.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #5,029 of 6,486

Hmm, what do you mean by "have never sounded wholly realistic or engaging"? It would be interesting to know how you find the HD800s compared to the EL-8 in more detail

The HD800s portray live music more realistically, instruments are more delineated, spaced properly and have more impact and nuance. For example, listening to Loreena McKennit Live at the Alhambra Caravanserai,
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsQ-VyLuA2w  --crappy youtube version) the EL-8s are enjoyable for sure, separating the instruments, vocals and acoustic ambiance clearly. However the cymbals do not ring out and extend fully, the woodwinds sound coarser and grainier, the hurdy-gurdy doesn't have the snap nor the small volume shifts as it cranked round & round, the violin does not have the keening, emotive quality as the song culminates (again lack of extension), the slap of hands on the drum skins is softer & more like a punch, the stringed instruments, including Loreena's harp, have sharper, more distinct plucks.

The vocals on the HD800 are placed appropriately amongst the instruments, on the EL-8s she is too far forward (notice that she is on the same plane as the violinist and cellist in the video). The biggest difference is how three dimensional the HD800 sound, I really get the "You are there" feel, while the EL-8s sounds like a really good reproduction, a 2D facsimile of a 3D event, because it cannot capture the acoustic space, how the sound radiates out and reflects on surfaces like the HD800 can.

I don't think there is any top end distortion at the top end, its just the upper mids and the treble is very forward sound (sort of grado like) well not really but still very forward. the sound still has some space and imaging is excellent (300hz and 30hz square waves are clean and tight) also I think it sound pretty fast although soundstage leaves for a bit to be desired, and also the lower treble is a bit withdrawn (slightly but doesn't bother me)

The treble isn't forward, its pretty relaxed, but not very smooth or grain-free, this combined with less soundstage depth than high-end dynamics makes it a bit fatiguing so far. I like to listen to explosions to test frequency response linearity and distortion, they are even better than pianos as they excite many frequencies at the same time and they don't evoke particularly strong emotional responses like music can which affects your judgment of their sound quality. So far the EL-8s have sounded fuzzy and indistinct with some explosions,a little "lo-fi" for lack of a better word, while the HD800 and TH900 did not. I made sure to check for clipping too and am pretty certain I know what high THD sounds like, since I have many cheap distortion generating headphones and in-ears.

Everyone should explode their headphones once in a while.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #5,030 of 6,486
So the EL-8 finally landed at HK dealers today. I arrived just as the boxes were being moved into the storeroom. 

1 of each, literally fresh out of the box laid before me ready to be displayed as demo units. "Can I haz" i asked in my best Nyan cat voice. (Nod)

Okay so quick impressions, just out of my 5s, and I did throw on a Dac/Amp for a bit (Venturecraft Soundroid Typhoon)

(Disclosure. These are fresh out of the box with 0 listening time, I got to try even before the guys at the store. The opens passed QC April 6, the closed April 14. I am a believer of burn-in and I have experienced it with the gear I own, but i'm not here to argue whether it exists *YMMV*)

Closed:
- I instantly heard and echo some of the earlier impressions on this thread. The vocals were "weird". There isn't really any other way to put it. They sounded distant as if someone moved my bookshelf speakers from my table to the far side of the room. Also they were grainy, not significantly grainy, but i can't describe it as just a bit either. 
- Bass attack and decay felt a bit tighter and faster than the opens. Slam was slightly less, ever so slightly.
- I didn't experience the treble spikes that some claimed to hear. I ran it through some hip-hop, pop, electronic, typical mediocrely mastered modern recordings, it still didn't seem to be there. 
- No real sibilance, my roxannes are more sibilant on the same tracks.
- Sound stage was okay, better than Pm-3's but nothing to write home about if you come from TOTL's like HD800/ LCD's

Open:
- Out of the box these sounded pretty good actually.
- The vocals were not recessed, and the whole thing was significantly more natural. Not the most intimate, but not the more recessed, but they sounded good.
- Bass felt it had more slam and authority compared to the closed, but slightly slower attack and decay. Note this is only by a very small margin that you will be able to differentiate if you had both to A/B. If I had to sum it up I would say, satisfying. More satisfying than the PM-3 (more slam and thickness). But not as well defined and textured as say an LCD2F. Slam compared to LCD2F? The EL8 doesn't seem to slam as hard (not by much) and is noticeably wobblier when A/Bing.
- Treble on both really didn't leave much of an impression on me, cause i'm not a treble guy to begin with either. What can I say, no spikes, no sibilance, no fatigue during my short session.

Ergonomics and Build
The built felt pretty nice, had a solid and premium feel to it. The headband adjuster was a bit stiff of course out of the box, but I prefer that over it being loose. Earpads nice and comfy, although they are just a tiny bit smaller than the LCD's it felt. 

Wood Veneer (gets its own special section)
It's not as light as the pictures would depict. An acquired taste I have to say. It doesn't look bad or cheap in any way, but I would have preferred a darker wood such as ebony. I say that a polished or buffered wood would improve the overall look more than a change to a darker wood though, imho. 

Closing thoughts:
The opens even out of the box are a good competitor at that price. I'm a lot more hesitant with the closed at this point. But I may go back after 2 weeks or so after the shop runs them in (they leave their new headphones running overnight on their demo amps, burning in the whole setup at once)
At this point, I would have bought the opens if I wasn't there to pick up LCD-2F's I ordered. If you're on a budget these are something to look out for. But let me be clear, these are not LCD killers, and they are a slight departure from the Audeze house sound (I can't put my finger on it, but the shop keeper said the same thing). 

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #5,031 of 6,486
Originally Posted by lamode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anyone (?Audeze) confirm if they burn them in prior to shipping? 

They already have, earlier in this thread, though I don't recall the number of hours.

Anyway, I agree that most or all difference people perceive is in their heads.

@NZtechfreak

I hope people aren't getting the wrong idea about the headphones being "burned-in" prior to shipment. Audeze runs a lot of tests on their headphones prior to shipment to detect driver failure. Audeze is NOT running these tests to specifically 'mechanically burn-in' the headphones, but for those who believe in 'mechanical burn-in,' the testing of the headphones for other issues will inherently 'mechanically burn-in/break-in' the headphones.

For final testing we have added high power tests with sine tones with average SPL over 120dB.  Assembled headphones are being measured with Neumann KU 100 Artificial Head for Frequency Response and Distortion.  Before Shipping we have now added a long burn in test on every headphone with Pink Noise at average level of 95 dB.

https://www.audeze.com/update  

So as to not confuse others, this burn-in is not the burn-in you're referring it. It's a standard test used in high end electronics to capture "infant mortality failures" before the products are shipped out. Plus a spike in these failure rates is a sign of trouble.  
redface.gif

I am very impressed with this level of detail to quality by Audeze.

original source: https://www.audeze.com/lcd-2-update
link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015/3735#post_11441312
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015/3780#post_11442506

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #5,033 of 6,486
I love how $700 headphones are for people "on a budget".

Thanks for the impressions though...can't wait to hear them for myself and compare them and the Oppo PM-2 to my AKG K812s.

Bill 

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,034 of 6,486
I never meant that in a derogatory sense, I'm being perfectly honest if you had the money I would suggest you go for the lcd2 or alpha primes. I had my eyes on the lcd2 for a while and that's how I approached the price justification.

These don't fill any particular niche for me.
- I felt that the lcd2 were a worthy improvement for the price difference.
- I was skeptical if audeze throws out an el8.1 in a few months given their track record
- I prefer all black
- I tend to look for big enough upgrades each time I purchase as long as my budget is reasonable, saves me in the long run from buying less in between
- I would even say pm3s are better for the money, but I do prefer the el8 open sound to them
- above all I prefer the lcd sound

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #5,036 of 6,486
So the EL-8 finally landed at HK dealers today. I arrived just as the boxes were being moved into the storeroom. 

1 of each, literally fresh out of the box laid before me ready to be displayed as demo units. "Can I haz" i asked in my best Nyan cat voice. (Nod)

Okay so quick impressions, just out of my 5s, and I did throw on a Dac/Amp for a bit (Venturecraft Soundroid Typhoon)

(Disclosure. These are fresh out of the box with 0 listening time, I got to try even before the guys at the store. The opens passed QC April 6, the closed April 14. I am a believer of burn-in and I have experienced it with the gear I own, but i'm not here to argue whether it exists *YMMV*)

Closed:
- I instantly heard and echo some of the earlier impressions on this thread. The vocals were "weird". There isn't really any other way to put it. They sounded distant as if someone moved my bookshelf speakers from my table to the far side of the room. Also they were grainy, not significantly grainy, but i can't describe it as just a bit either. 
- Bass attack and decay felt a bit tighter and faster than the opens. Slam was slightly less, ever so slightly.
- I didn't experience the treble spikes that some claimed to hear. I ran it through some hip-hop, pop, electronic, typical mediocrely mastered modern recordings, it still didn't seem to be there. 
- No real sibilance, my roxannes are more sibilant on the same tracks.
- Sound stage was okay, better than Pm-3's but nothing to write home about if you come from TOTL's like HD800/ LCD's

Open:
- Out of the box these sounded pretty good actually.
- The vocals were not recessed, and the whole thing was significantly more natural. Not the most intimate, but not the more recessed, but they sounded good.
- Bass felt it had more slam and authority compared to the closed, but slightly slower attack and decay. Note this is only by a very small margin that you will be able to differentiate if you had both to A/B. If I had to sum it up I would say, satisfying. More satisfying than the PM-3 (more slam and thickness). But not as well defined and textured as say an LCD2F. Slam compared to LCD2F? The EL8 doesn't seem to slam as hard (not by much) and is noticeably wobblier when A/Bing.
- Treble on both really didn't leave much of an impression on me, cause i'm not a treble guy to begin with either. What can I say, no spikes, no sibilance, no fatigue during my short session.

Ergonomics and Build
The built felt pretty nice, had a solid and premium feel to it. The headband adjuster was a bit stiff of course out of the box, but I prefer that over it being loose. Earpads nice and comfy, although they are just a tiny bit smaller than the LCD's it felt. 

Wood Veneer (gets its own special section)
It's not as light as the pictures would depict. An acquired taste I have to say. It doesn't look bad or cheap in any way, but I would have preferred a darker wood such as ebony. I say that a polished or buffered wood would improve the overall look more than a change to a darker wood though, imho. 

Closing thoughts:
The opens even out of the box are a good competitor at that price. I'm a lot more hesitant with the closed at this point. But I may go back after 2 weeks or so after the shop runs them in (they leave their new headphones running overnight on their demo amps, burning in the whole setup at once)
At this point, I would have bought the opens if I wasn't there to pick up LCD-2F's I ordered. If you're on a budget these are something to look out for. But let me be clear, these are not LCD killers, and they are a slight departure from the Audeze house sound (I can't put my finger on it, but the shop keeper said the same thing). 

I think the 8 has a tighter bass than the lcd 2fand very slightly less impact but lcd2 extension is godly

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #5,037 of 6,486
Went to shop today to get my pre-order EL-8 close. I had compared open and close

For close, I don't know how to describe its sound. el-8 close sound weird and not natural. Bass is not real. Mid is worst, singer voice sound like synthesizer

While open version sound very good to my ear. I don't like LCD2, it's too lean, too smooth for me. 8 closes have forward mid and sparkling in treble and I like it a lot

So I ask seller to change from close to open one.

P.S. el-8 open sound very good without any burn in. I don't know whether it will be any improvement after 20-100 hours or not. But it doesn't matter, I already happy now.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #5,038 of 6,486
I never meant that in a derogatory sense, I'm being perfectly honest if you had the money I would suggest you go for the lcd2 or alpha primes. I had my eyes on the lcd2 for a while and that's how I approached the price justification.

I realize that, I just notice a weird general sentiment around here that only $1000+ is a high end can.  While we could all probably agree those might be the best of the best, I think the idea of a can that puts out high quality sound starts much, MUCH lower.

I just laugh when people refer to $700 headphones as MidFi when they didn't even exist 5-10 years ago.  While it's true some at that price point might have sound quality that reflects that, I'd say most don't and offer very good, high fidelity sound.

Bill

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #5,039 of 6,486
I realize that, I just notice a weird general sentiment around here that only $1000+ is a high end can.  While we could all probably agree those might be the best of the best, I think the idea of a can that puts out high quality sound starts much, MUCH lower.

I just laugh when people refer to $700 headphones as MidFi when they didn't even exist 5-10 years ago.  While it's true some at that price point might have sound quality that reflects that, I'd say most don't and offer very good, high fidelity sound.

Bill

Well, basically yes & no. You can find 'high quality' or 'high-fidelity' sound starting at $200-$300. However, generally the whole $200-$500ish price bracket is considered 'mid-fi.' The term mid-fi is more directed towards the target audience/price bracket rather than trying to say that those headphones only having 'middle fidelity' lol. There is no such thing as middle fidelity, as fidelity simply means accuracy to source. Headphones are either accurate or inaccurate. If the headphones are only accurate 'half the time,' they are actually just inaccurate. The term mid-fi relates to a broad category of non-flagship and non-budget level headphones, but does not actually say anything abt their sound quality. You can have terrible mid-fi headphones or high quality mid-fi headphones.

Now, there has been a shift from flagships moving to the $1k+ price point, leaving a weird price hole between what really intense enthusiasts are willing to pay ($1k+) and what normal people think is reasonable ($10-$400). This creates the new price catorgory from $500-$900 that I personally call "the overpriced mid-fi or underpriced flagship".

The majority of headphones in this new $500-900 price bracket are basically overpriced mid-fi headphones with similiar sonic performance as the good options in the $200-$300 bracket. They are sold to people who don't know any better and think there is a linear relationship between price tag and sound quality. There isn't.

Then, there are a few gems in this weird new price bracket with performance is actually compareable to other current flagship headphones, but with a price tag under $1k.

The reason flagships cost $1k+ nowadays doesn't have anything to do with manufactoring costs. The reason flagships are priced like that is because that is where you get the largest profit margins currently. Market prices are balanced out by demand. There are enough people willing to spend that much money that they can afford to keep the prices for flagships above $1k.

Just fun side info. The current Beats type $300ish premium headphones can be made for <$20/each. The final MSRP of audiophile brand headphones requires additional mark up for dealers to make a profit.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #5,040 of 6,486
Well, to put things into perspective: Take a look at car options. Specific metallic color - $1,000-$1,500 (some manufacturers even more) - sport seats?, sports steering wheel? B&O, Burmester, etc. sound system, etc. all these options cost more than flagship headphones. 

Fashion? Dress for $10,000 dollars no problem - it's not the material you pay for but the design. 

Overpriced - has nothing to do with manufacturing costs. Otherwise software should cost nothing, since selling you a copy costs next to nothing...

Headphones really need a healthy margin, so the manufacturer can afford R&D, distribution costs, dealer margins, marketing, sales support, technical support, warranty, trade shows, and whatnot.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back