Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #5,056 of 6,486
  As per your definition, you will be judging headphones primarily by frequency response curve & sound signature rather than sound quality aspects. Therefore, headphones like the Sony Z7 (bass-emphasis), HE-500 (mid-centric), TH900 (v-shaped), Audeze LCD-2 (dark), Beyer T1 (slightly v-shaped), Grado PS1000 (sub-bass roll-off), JPS Abyss (treble response measures poorly) would all be considered mid-fi as they offer a non-neutral coloration to their sound signature, but they still may actually have better sound quality performance than other more neutral headphones such as the MDR-V6, ATH MSR7, HD600, or K712.

I said nothing of the sort. Sound quality and accuracy are basically the same thing. And rolled-off or v-shaped or any other non-flat responses are also not hi-fi, by your own definition.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,057 of 6,486

I said nothing of the sort. Sound quality and accuracy are basically the same thing. And rolled-off or v-shaped or any other non-flat responses are also not hi-fi, by your own definition.

off-topic, but I disagree. Sound quality refers to things like sound stage, imaging, instrument separation, speed, tightness of notes, transient response, dynamic range, micro-detail retrieval, and resolution. These are the more objective features that everyone can hear and come to agreement about the relative improvements/differences between headphones in these aspects.

Sound signature refers to the tonal balance, relative differences between bass, mids, and treble. The sound signature can impact aspects of the sound quality, but sound signature preferences and the definition of a 'neutral/natural sound signature' is dependent on the subjective perspective of each individual listener. We have reference points for what are considered a "well-balanced frequency responses" with calibrations of an absolutely flat references speakers in a listening room and ideal headphone target responses. However, these two frequency responses curves are actually different. The preferred or 'neutral/natural' frequency response on headphones is actually EQed away from 'neutral' and varies per individual listener preference. It would be difficult to define fidelity based on frequency response as everyone has a different reference point for neutral and there are many different targets for an ideal headphone FR. For example, some people think the HD800 is the epitome of neutral while others think that it is too bright. Same with the LCD-3, some people think its sound signature is too dark while others think it is neutral. A colored sound signature can still be considered to have high sound quality. What different people consider to be an accurate frequency response can extremely variable.

imo. feel free to disagree.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #5,058 of 6,486
  off-topic, but I disagree. Sound quality refers to things like sound stage, imaging, instrument separation, speed, tightness of notes, transient response, dynamic range, micro-detail retrieval, and resolution. These are the more objective features that everyone can hear and come to agreement about the relative improvements/differences between headphones in these aspects.

Sound signature refers to the tonal balance, relative differences between bass, mids, and treble. The sound signature can impact aspects of the sound quality, but sound signature preferences and the definition of a 'neutral/natural sound signature' is dependent on the subjective perspective of each individual listener. We have reference points for what are considered a "well-balanced frequency responses" with calibrations of an absolutely flat references speakers in a listening room and ideal headphone target responses. However, these two frequency responses curves are actually different. The preferred or 'neutral/natural' frequency response on headphones is actually EQed away from 'neutral' and varies per individual listener preference. There is no way to define fidelity based on frequency response as everyone has a different reference point for neutral. For example, some people think the HD800 is the epitome of neutral while others think that it is too bright. Same with the LCD-3, some people think its sound signature is too dark while others think it is neutral. A colored sound signature can still be considered to have high sound quality. What different people consider to be an accurate frequency response is extremely variable.

Every attribute you listed falls under accuracy but is also a matter of taste.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #5,059 of 6,486
I'm on vacation in Orlando Florida and I found out that there was a dealer called Live Soundwave who had both the open and the closed version in stock. I listened to both of them for about an hour. These are two VERY different headphones. The closed version has a bit tighter bass and more treble energy. And they isolate very well. Almost as much as noise cancelling Bose. The open ones has obvioulsly a much bigger soundstage. And they have a softer feeling across the whole spectrum. I listen mostly to jazz and classical music, and the open verison excels in both. Especially in classical music. I was quite impressed.

I walked out of the store with a pair of open EL-8s. When I returend to my hotel and put some music on, my wife and kid immediately complained. They where hearing the music almost as loud as I was. It's like having a small radio playing... I was underestimatint how much sound leakage there was. It was unusuble for my situation. I'm going to use my EL-8s in an open office environment, so I had to return to the store and switch them to the closed version.

Now I'v had the closed version for a couple of days. They are quite good for jazz I must admit. Good bass. I'm listening to them with my Chord Hugo and Ak120. After I EQed the treble a couple og dB down, they sound more relaxed and not fatiguing at all. I'v tried them with some vocal and I don't hear any weird things others are writing about. But I mostly listen to instrumental music and they are at least quite good at that.

I have a pair of Fostex TH900 at home. I'm looking forward to compare them when I get home.

PS. I wanna thank the people at Live Soundwave in Orlando for great customer service. (They are a brand new company starting up with high end headphones.)

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #5,060 of 6,486
On second thought... I might actually buy the open version also for home use. The two headphones are surprisingly different.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #5,061 of 6,486
On second thought... I might actually buy the open version also for home use. The two headphones are surprisingly different.

That's the Head Fi spirit! :)

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #5,062 of 6,486

That's the Head Fi spirit!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, indeed!! Many thanks for getting both and please do share your experiences!

Cheers,
K

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #5,065 of 6,486
  anybody tryed to close (hands)   the backss of the open el8 ?
what happen to tthe sound ? what change ?

thanks

it sounds exactly like the closed EL-8!!! =O ...omg two for the price of one!!!

hahah ...just joking. cldn't help myself.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #5,066 of 6,486
 Therefore, the term 'high fidelity' does not really have any real meaning

Fidelity is the degree of exactness with which something is copied or reproduced. High = relative term, not absolute. All it means in the context of audio is that its greater than what is below it, e.g mid or low fidelity. Summit-Fi does not have any real meaning, unless you believe the highest fidelity has already been reached and no further improvements can be made, whether audible or not.

Therefore, headphones like the Sony Z7 (bass-emphasis), HE-500 (mid-centric), TH900 (v-shaped), Audeze LCD-2 (dark), Beyer T1 (slightly v-shaped), Grado PS1000 (sub-bass roll-off), JPS Abyss (treble response measures poorly) would all be considered mid-fi as they offer a non-neutral coloration to their sound signature, but they still may actually have better sound quality performance than other more neutral headphones such as the MDR-V6, ATH MSR7, HD600, or K712.

The PS1000 cannot be said to have high fidelity because it has massive distortion which is both measurable and audible next to a headphone like the HD600, a "mid-fi" headphone. The T1 also, to a lesser extent, suffers from this next to a cheaper headphone like the K7xx/K712. Lower THD produces a more accurate reproduction of an audio recording because less is being added to the signal. A headphone with much lower distortion than the PS1000 like the TH900 can be EQ'd/ matched with suitable upstream components to present a more "neutral" sound (whatever your ears tell you it is) because it is less susceptible to degrading the original signal. Therefore the TH900 is a true high-fidelity headphone next to its peers

Neutrality isn't fidelity.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,067 of 6,486
  anybody tryed to close (hands)   the backss of the open el8 ?
what happen to tthe sound ? what change ?

thanks

I did it last night because my wife watch movies at very high volume, it didn't sound good
frown.gif

Yesterday, I leave el8 play with Isotek burn in disc for 28 hours. I think that sound is just the same, may be a little better in mid, just a very little. 

It sound very good with WA7, really happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back