Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #3,271 of 6,486
I don't think they were meant to compete with the LCD-XC, which many would probably consider the best closed back headphones on the market, but more comparable closed-backs like the Alpha Dog, PM-3, etc, from what I've heard so far it appears the EL-8 bests them.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,273 of 6,486
Has anyone compared the EL-8 to the Hifiman HE-560 or HE-500 yet?
If so, how do they compare sonically?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #3,274 of 6,486
I had a chance to demo both the open and closed EL-8s today in Ann Arbor at a Head-Fi meet. Jude brought these and they were quite popular. I had a chance to grab both to compare back-to-back. Unfortunately, as meets are generally rather loud, I didn't get great impressions of them. I can say, however, that they are extremely more comfortable than the LCD line. I was quite happy with the comfort after the half hour I spent with them. I was running Foobar > Oppo BDP 105 > Ragnarok > EL-8 and they sounded very good. Personally, I preferred the sound of the open vs. the closed. But, since the conditions weren't optimal, I won't speak too much to the sound. I will say, though, that I am very excited to receive my open EL-8s in the next week or two. I think they should easily dethrone the HD600's that I keep at my desk at work... that is if they make it away from my home rig.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #3,275 of 6,486
  I had a chance to demo both the open and closed EL-8s today in Ann Arbor at a Head-Fi meet. Jude brought these and they were quite popular. I had a chance to grab both to compare back-to-back. Unfortunately, as meets are generally rather loud, I didn't get great impressions of them. I can say, however, that they are extremely more comfortable than the LCD line. I was quite happy with the comfort after the half hour I spent with them. I was running Foobar > Oppo BDP 105 > Ragnarok > EL-8 and they sounded very good. Personally, I preferred the sound of the open vs. the closed. But, since the conditions weren't optimal, I won't speak too much to the sound. I will say, though, that I am very excited to receive my open EL-8s in the next week or two. I think they should easily dethrone the HD600's that I keep at my desk at work... that is if they make it away from my home rig.

I got hyped that you were gonna compare the sound but then you didnt.... :frowning2: 

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,277 of 6,486
Mar 15, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3,278 of 6,486

I think I hate you and love you at the same time!!!!
Can't wait!

ill post impressions tonight.  Ill be running two different setups

1) OPPO Find 7 with HA-2, Running Neutron media player
2) Colorfly C4 going naked.

Will post impressions with both headphones then will most likely travel with the oppo as it is much smaller and lighter.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #3,279 of 6,486

ill post impressions tonight.  Ill be running two different setups

1) OPPO Find 7 with HA-2, Running Neutron media player
2) Colorfly C4 going naked.

Will post impressions with both headphones then will most likely travel with the oppo as it is much smaller and lighter.

Im curious how good the mid range and vocals are. Let me know after some testing :) 

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #3,280 of 6,486
IAMBLEST this is the comparison I've been waiting for! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PM-3 vs closed EL-8, hope it's a real slug fest.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #3,281 of 6,486
+1

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #3,282 of 6,486
IAMBLEST this is the comparison I've been waiting for! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PM-3 vs closed EL-8, hope it's a real slug fest.

+1 What he said:). Definitely looking forward to your keen impressions.

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #3,283 of 6,486
sure guys. Ill write as much as i can tonight and i have a decent amount of very hi-res music to listen to and some bass heavy stuff as well.  Will try on both the oppo HA-2 and colorfly and post as much as i can.  Im more excited about this battle than i was about the HD800 vs LCD3 tbh.

The winner of the battle gets taken with me to China :wink:

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,284 of 6,486
sure guys. Ill write as much as i can tonight and i have a decent amount of very hi-res music to listen to and some bass heavy stuff as well.  Will try on both the oppo HA-2 and colorfly and post as much as i can.  Im more excited about this battle than i was about the HD800 vs LCD3 tbh.

The winner of the battle gets taken with me to China :wink:

That is great to hear, hope you have a good time in China, with whatever can wins.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,285 of 6,486
im leaning towards the oppo so far simply because:

1) they are proper portable
2) They come in a lovely case can be carried around
3) it is ridiculously comfortable

The Audeze is being billed as "portable" is a bit of a joke. It is fairly large and comes with no case beyond the large box it arrived in. i cant see myself carrying this around where as the oppo case is quite small and ill put it in my backpack when i travel.  The Audeze is something maybe you would use around the house on the couch or if you take trip to the office or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back