Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,882 of 6,486
  A Japanese seller on U.S. Ebay is selling an Audeze LCD3 for just over $3000.  Makes no sense.  That's a 50% premium over the normal price. 

:facepalm

I found it by googling "audeze lcd" to see if anything suspicious came up.  There is also a listing from Ukraine for an LCD 2 described as "Used but in perfect condition!"  It seems like a normal used price, but it'd be smart to set it up that way to avoid suspicion.  The weird (to me) thing is that there is no other description.  And you know how we audiophiles are about details.  We normally over-describe.  There is nothing about whether it's version 2.2, if it has fazor tech, nothing.  I don't know.  Is that suspicious?  Could be totally legitimate, I suppose.

man u are making me laugh, i urge u to watch more scherlock holmes

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #2,883 of 6,486
I would also highly suggest that if anyone thinks they see something suspicious to contact Audeze support instead of posting it here in the forums.  Crowdsourcing has gone terribly wrong when on the hunt for people.  Just look back to the Boston marathon bombings.  Reddit and others thought they "solved" the issue but instead, singled out someone who was completely innocent.  If you do end up finding a sale that looks suspicious, it's better to let Audeze look at it themselves with the help of the FBI.  If they suspect something, they can set up a sting operation and figure this out.  Otherwise, we could run the risk of spooking the thieves if some "well intentioned" individual reaches out and accuses them.  There is nothing wrong with being on the lookout, but try and consider the unintended consequences of accusing any sale that looks suspicious.  I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have issues that come up and need cash quickly who legitimately acquired their gear. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #2,884 of 6,486

where did you hear ? do you have already the production el8 ? 
smile.gif

Comparing them now with AKG K-701. Got them from my dealer for listening a few days ago...

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,886 of 6,486
there must be some production units out in the wild as i know mine have shipped from audeze to the UK, they should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

If they do i will post some pics up and i will try and compare them with the LCD-2 pre fazor that i have here along with the ZMF master V2 and alpha dogs if i get a chance from work.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,887 of 6,486
  there must be some production units out in the wild as i know mine have shipped from audeze to the UK, they should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

If they do i will post some pics up and i will try and compare them with the LCD-2 pre fazor that i have here along with the ZMF master V2 and alpha dogs if i get a chance from work.

Really interested in what you think, not much difference in price between lcd2 and el8. Just about certain to get the lcd2 but don’t know worth the wait for el8.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2,888 of 6,486

Look forward to reading your comparisons!!!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,890 of 6,486
Really looking forward to the first reviews of especially the closed back EL-8's. Been testing the LCD-X the last couple of days and stunned by how beyond anything else it is, even straight from an iPhone. The problem is somewhat the weight (slash comfort due to it, though the ear pads are soft and superb) and, as it turned out, the open design and the resulting collateral disturbance towards the family, which pushes me to look for a closed back model after all. There's the LCD-XC of course, but...

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2,893 of 6,486
I cannot wait to hear what people think of the closed back versions, I love open back headphones but they are going to get me in trouble one of these days.  Doesn't look like anyone has even gotten confirmation of shipping yet?

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,894 of 6,486
  Really looking forward to the first reviews of especially the closed back EL-8's. Been testing the LCD-X the last couple of days and stunned by how beyond anything else it is, even straight from an iPhone. The problem is somewhat the weight (slash comfort due to it, though the ear pads are soft and superb) and, as it turned out, the open design and the resulting collateral disturbance towards the family, which pushes me to look for a closed back model after all. There's the LCD-XC of course, but...

From what I understand and read on multiple places (and ultimately the reason I didn't buy a pair,) the LCD-XC sounds slightly like its own and less like a closed X. The XC is also heavier. From what I've been told and will find out by next week, the ZMF Blackwoods are like a closed LCD-X. Just looking at the frequency charts, the LCD-XC's are not near as smooth as the LCD-X, but they do have thicker bass (which is consistent with most reviews I've read.)

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #2,895 of 6,486

Had LCD-3 on listen but they had significantly more "air" and "sparkle". These EL-8 are not so resolving, and - to be honest - I do not understand why so many people like
this kind of sound. It could be understandable if using a cheap DAC or phone as source...

YES, the EL8 was developed to be used on the go. So a mobile phone is a reasonable source for them. 
Who needs a mobile headphones like the EL8 to be resolving?! I guess that people are taking the EL8 to the wrong direction. The EL8s are not for sit, relax and enjoy afternoon weekend music on your comfy couch. If this is the goal then move to the LCD line. 
Resolving headphones are better to stay at home 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back