Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #661 of 711
Wohoo! Audezee is the best! They definitely went above and beyond in taking care of my driver issue. Now my EL-8s are working great. These have risen to the top as my preferred closed back. Do these sound to anyone else like the closed back version of the HE-500? Not as wide or open sounding, but the impact, energy & sound signature is very similar to me.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #662 of 711
Wohoo! Audezee is the best! They definitely went above and beyond in taking care of my driver issue. Now my EL-8s are working great. These have risen to the top as my preferred closed back. Do these sound to anyone else like the closed back version of the HE-500? Not as wide or open sounding, but the impact, energy & sound signature is very similar to me.

I thought the HE-5SE sounded a bit like the EL-8, for whatever that's worth, though I think I'd take the Audeze for its better mids and sub-bass. They're in the same ballpark for sure. Overall, I'd say the EL-8 has a HiFiMan house sound going.

Apr 2, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #663 of 711
Hi !

I have a rather interesting question for you all regarding a difficult purchase decision. I've loved my EL-8C thus far and I'm looking to invest in a proper Dac/Amp for it. Either the Lightning Cipher Cable or the Ifi Hip-Dac. Other than how the Ifi dac can be used for my desktop they're more or less functionally what I've been looking to use with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. The question is simply which is the better buy in terms of pure audio?

Follow up question pertaining to this is weather not its worth also buying a Balanced Cable for it to. Total cost to get such a cable and cut my own using the Moon Audio DIY cable tips would be about $90. Given how I haven't heard much on if Balanced Audio makes a grand difference I thought this thread would be the best place to ask

Apr 2, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #664 of 711
Do these sound to anyone else like the closed back version of the HE-500? Not as wide or open sounding, but the impact, energy & sound signature is very similar to me.
I don't think any headphone sounds like the HE-500 except maybe the HD650. A lot may disagree with me, but I think the HE-500 is the enhanced version of the HD650 in almost all aspects - especially the liquid mids that they present which are not replicated by any other hifimans from what I've read (only other one I owned is the HE-400i).

I have the Audeze Sines and while they are almost technically as capable minus the soundstage as the HE-500, I woudn't say it captures the same signature. The Sines I feel have more energy - thereby making them sound more fun and not missing out on the details.

I have a rather interesting question for you all regarding a difficult purchase decision. I've loved my EL-8C thus far and I'm looking to invest in a proper Dac/Amp for it. Either the Lightning Cipher Cable or the Ifi Hip-Dac. Other than how the Ifi dac can be used for my desktop they're more or less functionally what I've been looking to use with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. The question is simply which is the better buy in terms of pure audio?

Follow up question pertaining to this is weather not its worth also buying a Balanced Cable for it to. Total cost to get such a cable and cut my own using the Moon Audio DIY cable tips would be about $90. Given how I haven't heard much on if Balanced Audio makes a grand difference I thought this thread would be the best place to ask

The cipher cable is a good dac/amp solution if you mainly have an iOS device with a lightning port as your source of music majority of the time.

I haven't seen measurements for the iFi Hip-dac so I cannot say whether they're performing great objectively, but if you have multiple sources than iOS device, I would say that the iFi Hip-Dac would be the better choice in this case purely on functionality. They have the added bass boost which is a great feature if you wanted more bass in your music.

I have the cipher cable for my Sine and it makes the listening experience from my iPad a lot better. There is a +3db bass boost already in place and the Audeze EQ app is a nice addition. The only inconvenience for me is that my iPad is the only device that has a lightning port.

Regarding your last question about balanced cable, there is no benefit to use it for the EL-8 since any good performing app that uses single-ended 6.3mm is enough to play it to its full extent.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #665 of 711
Hi !

I have an Audio-GD 10.33, a balanced dac/amp. I love my hifiman with it, especially balanced. While I'm certainly interested in hearing a balanced El-8c, I don't think it really needs it. They are pretty easy to drive and don't really need much power, though the bass really opens up on my Audio-GD.

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #666 of 711
Hi !

I have the EL-8 and the ifi hip dac. Amazing combo. Especially portable, headphone benefit from the added power of balanced. But... I think the hip dac has the same power single ended. Try it single ended. You’ll probable be fine. Also, if you like bass the bass boost turns the EL8 into some of the hardest hitting headphones I’ve heard. It was surprising.

To me the hip dac is a no brainer with the el8.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #667 of 711
Unfortunately i had the same experience as funkle, on my El8 Titanium the left drivers sound goes off as soon as i move myself a little. For music if you stay firm they make sound but, i find them unusable most of the Times as i play games etc. sound goes too often. I bought them on Adorama on Ebay and with taxes etc, i'm sorry that this is the second time i have a problem with them, i really like their sound and low leakage.. But it's not a driver problem because they do work, and i think they still sound ok, and as i have 3 Cables, and try swap ping L/R, issue seems to be on left driver connection.. I'm trying to contacting Audeze :frowning2:
Do someone had it, or have a way to fix it?

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #668 of 711
Unfortunately i had the same experience as funkle, on my El8 Titanium the left drivers sound goes off as soon as i move myself a little. For music if you stay firm they make sound but, i find them unusable most of the Times as i play games etc. sound goes too often. I bought them on Adorama on Ebay and with taxes etc, i'm sorry that this is the second time i have a problem with them, i really like their sound and low leakage.. But it's not a driver problem because they do work, and i think they still sound ok, and as i have 3 Cables, and try swap ping L/R, issue seems to be on left driver connection.. I'm trying to contacting Audeze :frowning2:
Do someone had it, or have a way to fix it?

I had some left channel cut-out (weird that it's always left) and cleaned the contacts on the cable with a microfiber cloth. Months later, it hasn't come back after maybe 20 hours listening time. I know you've ruled out the cables, but maybe there is something on the female port contacts.

May 30, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #670 of 711
Hi !

I would absolutely opt for the Cipher cable.

It's so convenient to use in context with an iPhone, the built-in graphic equalizer is almost unique and will give you a better sound experience than anything else could.
Plus, it looks just like a cable.
It will have much more use than a separate amplifier.

May 30, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #671 of 711
I had some left channel cut-out (weird that it's always left) and cleaned the contacts on the cable with a microfiber cloth. Months later, it hasn't come back after maybe 20 hours listening time. I know you've ruled out the cables, but maybe there is something on the female port contacts.
Try Teslanol T6 contact cleaner.
A tiny amount applied (NOT SPRAYED ! PLEASE!) will likely do the job.
Teslanol T6 will not eat the coating from the contacts, desoxy stuff certainly does.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #672 of 711
I just picked up a pair of EL-8 Ti. I have no idea if they're different from the 8C aside from the aesthetic changes and the fact that the Ti ships with a special dac/amp/lightening connector, which mine did not come with and I wouldn't use anyway, being an Android guy.

Anyway, the sound is terrific. It's a major step up from my other closed cans, my DT770s, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the sound. Clear and detailed. It's relatively neutral but, compared to my Sennheisers, offers a bit more and better bass, which makes things just a bit more fun. I like.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #673 of 711
Yes, i really love EL8 Titanium, It's a superb closed back in my opinion. I have one, but left driver got some issues, i think it is on the connectors, because it plays nicely but when i move my head sometimes sounds goes off and the connectors have to be adjusted, so that's annoying. Fortunately Audeze has been very kind to me offering me a free replacement even tho wasn't under their condition, because i purchased from an unauthorized dealer from Ebay - Adorama, even tho warranty was ended, they said as it was 'broken' in short time they offers it. But I have to pay for shipping, and since i'm really in crisis right now, with no work, unfortunately I can't afford to spend the shipping and sell them with new drivers and in eccellent conditions. So if someone is interested in an EL8 to be sent to Audeze, wait a little and then receive it like it was a new pair, i'm selling it, cause really out of money right now. (Even if you would like a new and unopened Cipher cable)
:)

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #674 of 711
Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to get these used for around 270$ (when calculated from GBP to USD), lightly used with a little pad scuffing, but otherwise in perfect condition.
I would say that's a pretty good deal but would like a second opinion on that one, I've also found a place to get a spare cable for 50$ and now I'm interested if anyone has experience in swapping the pads?
If I'm not mistaken they are glued on, has anyone tried anything apart from the Audeze replacement kit?

I'm in search of decent closed-backs, pairing with the Topping E30 DAC and A50 amp and for say 400$ with a spare cable and new pads these seem to be the best deal.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #675 of 711
Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to get these used for around 270$ (when calculated from GBP to USD), lightly used with a little pad scuffing, but otherwise in perfect condition.
I would say that's a pretty good deal but would like a second opinion on that one, I've also found a place to get a spare cable for 50$ and now I'm interested if anyone has experience in swapping the pads?
If I'm not mistaken they are glued on, has anyone tried anything apart from the Audeze replacement kit?

I'm in search of decent closed-backs, pairing with the Topping E30 DAC and A50 amp and for say 400$ with a spare cable and new pads these seem to be the best deal.

That's a good deal. I got my EL-8 Ti new for the lowest price I've ever seen, which was $225. That was probably 3 years ago though, when there was more stock. If the pads need to be replaced, that obviously complicates things. At $400, you have some more options to look at like the LCD-1 Closed (which is coming soon) or the Focal Elegia (which is frequently on sale for $400 through Adorama). You could also probably find some MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed (the first gen) for around $400 used. Of course, all that is based on availability in the US. But, the point is: if you think you will need new pads on the EL-8C, best to look at all the options.

Personally, I think these are some very underrated headphones, and I suspect that is because they're Audeze headphones with HiFiMan house sound. Still, they've got top-notch build and aesthetics and the objectively best isolation out of any headphone I've ever heard. Nothing leaks from them. If I didn't baby mine so much, they'd be my go-to for travel and commute.

I've never swapped the pads, but after 3 years, they still seem good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back