Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
May 7, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #378 of 711
I wouldn't call the Mojo "magical" but it is very good and extremely powerful for a portable. 

May 7, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #379 of 711
  I wouldn't call the Mojo "magical" but it is very good and extremely powerful for a portable. 

Yeah I am getting use to it. Might try to use it to feed my Deckard and see how it does when I get back home. I literally opened it from the box charged and got on a plane for week of travel so it will give me some good time to see how I like it. Was really stuck between this and the Sony PHA -3, only went with this because of one day delivery lol.

May 7, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #380 of 711
I've got the crinkling noise in both ears that many people have reported in my 2nd pair of EL-8Cs. I bought the first one from the Apple Store, had the problem but decided that I liked the headphones enough that I'd work with Audeze rather than simply returning them (oh, hindsight).
After a month of waiting I got a fresh pair that had been made, according to the included card, a week before (April 26th, I believe). Within a few days the crinkling started again.
Does it ever go away? Will the drivers settle enough to make it not happen?

Observations. If I play the music loud enough there is no crinkling when I move my head or gently touch the headphones.
If I rotate the cups so that there is a slight gap between the ear pads and my head at the front the crinkling goes away.

I think this is a design flaw (I don't know how they could have passed on this design). I have kept them too long to return them, so I'm pretty frustrated. Especially frustrated because they come so close to a great headphone.

What think ye all?

May 8, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #381 of 711
My first 2015 pair had the same problem. I couldn't move my head or my ears without that most irritating crinkling noise. I changed it for free for a 2016 batch one. The sound is much more open than the first pair. The cracking noise is still in my right ear, but now onty sometimes when I move my ear. I finally can move my head! So it really seems a  design flaw. Some have it, some don't or less. I hesitate to change it again, what if the next pear is worse? The sound of the new 2016 pair is wonderful, but for this price this cracking noise fault is terrible.

May 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #382 of 711
Hello Everyone,

I bought the Audeze Sign and love how they sound. However they are very uncomfortable to wear, and I will probably return them.

I have been looking at he EL-8 Closed back as alternative and wanted to know if it is worth the additional $200.
Do they improve upon the sound quality when compared to the sine?

Any other recommendations in the 500 price range for a over ear closed back that sound similar to the sine?

Also an Apple Store near me carries the EL-8. Since Audeze revised the el8 for 2016,  Is there a way to verify if the EL8 they carry is the new one or old?

May 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #385 of 711
Just received my pair today, and straight out of the box they very clearly have the same problem in the right ear cup and/or driver that I hear lots of others complaining about.  Crinking sound when I move and a 90% drop out in sound when I turn my head to the right?  Bizarre.  Sad....the weight still feels like I've strapped 2 bricks to my head.

May 26, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #386 of 711
Is it white box or black box version?

May 26, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #387 of 711
  Just received my pair today, and straight out of the box they very clearly have the same problem in the right ear cup and/or driver that I hear lots of others complaining about.  Crinking sound when I move and a 90% drop out in sound when I turn my head to the right?  Bizarre.  Sad....the weight still feels like I've strapped 2 bricks to my head.

This has been discussed numerous times, ever since HiFiMan and Audeze restarted the Planar Headphone Age.

Every single planar driver exhibits this issue, but the degree to how much this is perceivable is different per headphone and per person.

The issue is to do with seal and air pressure between your ears and the planar driver, and is exacerbated with closed back designs predominantly.

Essentially, if the seal is too good, especially on both EL-8 CB (2015 or 2016 models) and EL-8 Titanium, and you lightly touch the earcups, or move your head more than moderately, then you will hear this 'crinkling' sound.

Even Z Reviews mentions this, and he had the Audeze El-8 open back (very likely the 2016 model).

On the EL-8 series, if you don't seal too much (allow some external air to pass between the pads and your head), the crinkling noise should dissipate.

However, in rare cases (from the 2016 versions), if the crinkling occurs with extremely minor movement, or with a poor seal you still hear this noise, contact Audeze customer services immediately.

Here's the video of the Z Reviews review of Audeze EL-8 (I think the 2016 model); watch from around the 6 mins mark and the reviewer will mention the crinkling noise, or as he describes it, "crunch crunch":

May 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #389 of 711
Thank you!

No problem! :D

I should make clear that this crinkling noise can be near non-existent on some planar headphones (Oppo), or very prominent (Audeze).

I just hope yours is just a typical high-seal issue and nothing more.

Keep us posted! ^^

May 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #390 of 711
Can anyone speculate as to why I've never experienced any such audibly occlusion with my MrSpeaker's Ether C?  They seal just as tightly - maybe even more so....

Very interesting challenge for the planar side of the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back