Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
May 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #391 of 711
  Can anyone speculate as to why I've never experienced any such audibly occlusion with my MrSpeaker's Ether C?  They seal just as tightly - maybe even more so....

Very interesting challenge for the planar side of the business.

Yes.

Different design.

Remember that it is not the transducer that just does the sound, but the internal design of the headphone around the transducer too (yes, this includes the AKG K 1000 and that weird but cool Sony PFR-V1 that I still want just because reasons).

As most know, Dan Clark pioneered 3D printed earcups with huge internal air pressure area designs, starting with his discontinued Prime series before actually making his own from-the-ground-up Ether series. That extra air pressure relieves the drivers, and less need for heavy magnets.

I love Audeze designs don't get me wrong, but I think Mr Speaker's is onto something with his take on Planar (and electrostatic) technology :wink:

May 27, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #394 of 711
I'm really glad to know that someone has a zero issue crinkle set.  I'm waiting for my third pair to be delivered and I hope I can put this behind me and just listen to music.

May 30, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #395 of 711

This has been discussed numerous times, ever since HiFiMan and Audeze restarted the Planar Headphone Age.

Every single planar driver exhibits this issue, but the degree to how much this is perceivable is different per headphone and per person.

The issue is to do with seal and air pressure between your ears and the planar driver, and is exacerbated with closed back designs predominantly.

Essentially, if the seal is too good, especially on both EL-8 CB (2015 or 2016 models) and EL-8 Titanium, and you lightly touch the earcups, or move your head more than moderately, then you will hear this 'crinkling' sound.

Even Z Reviews mentions this, and he had the Audeze El-8 open back (very likely the 2016 model).

On the EL-8 series, if you don't seal too much (allow some external air to pass between the pads and your head), the crinkling noise should dissipate.

However, in rare cases (from the 2016 versions), if the crinkling occurs with extremely minor movement, or with a poor seal you still hear this noise, contact Audeze customer services immediately.

Here's the video of the Z Reviews review of Audeze EL-8 (I think the 2016 model); watch from around the 6 mins mark and the reviewer will mention the crinkling noise, or as he describes it, "crunch crunch":

This really bothered me at first, then I realized it didn't happen when I wore my glasses.  Problem solved, ha!

I've never noticed the crinkling with my LCD-2, but it's possible that I've never listened to them without my glasses on.

May 31, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #396 of 711

This really bothered me at first, then I realized it didn't happen when I wore my glasses.  Problem solved, ha!

I've never noticed the crinkling with my LCD-2, but it's possible that I've never listened to them without my glasses on.

Maybe this is more of a problem with the open backed EL-8's?

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #400 of 711
I swear, the titanium has become my favorite closed back......Incredible

I keep trying to explain that if you have a non-defective pair of these phones, they're among the best sounding out there..........

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #402 of 711
  The Titanium should sound the same as the current 2016 EL-8 Closed right?

Had them both, yes, they are exactly the same. Cypher cable being the only difference. When you use the same cabling they are exactly the same.... except of course for the sexy ass finish on my titaniums :p

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #403 of 711
  Had them both, yes, they are exactly the same. Cypher cable being the only difference. When you use the same cabling they are exactly the same.... except of course for the sexy ass finish on my titaniums :p

Funny you say that I prefer the tradition finish over the titanium. When I bought 2 months ago I liked the wood grain on the side much better.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #404 of 711
  I swear, the titanium has become my favorite closed back......Incredible

Ditto. I work in a large open space office building where half the staff thinks it's summer camp. I toss these on and perfect seal, perfect sound.
It only gets better at home with the LCD3s but, unfair comparison.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #405 of 711
  Funny you say that I prefer the tradition finish over the titanium. When I bought 2 months ago I liked the wood grain on the side much better.

Personal preference. I think the wood looks 'fancier' so I don't want that at the office or when commuting. The black and silver, most people probably assume they are some Bose or something. :)
At home I have the LCD3s and love their look, which is obviously wood so.. horses for courses I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back