Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #496 of 711
  So does anybody know if Audeze is releasing a version 2.0 of these soon? They supposedly had those at a private lounge in a NY show a couple of months ago, and may have had them in CES last week.
Was anybody there? Does anybody know what this version 2.0 is about? And when it's available?

Thats interesting, I was possibly going to order these in the next week or so. Maybe I should wait? Would be good for someone to confirm.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #499 of 711
Thats just what I'm after. I'm down to these or the Opposite PM-3's, I think I need to audition both. Thanks for your help.

I would definitely recommend auditioning both before you buy one if you can. The PM-3 was the headphone I owned before the EL-8C Ti. It's a great headphone but not quite exactly what I was looking for.

The PM-3 is more comfortable, more portable, easier to purchase an aftermarket cable for, comes with a case and most importantly considerably less expensive. ($400 vs $700)

The EL-8C offers convenience if you're an iOS user if you opt for the slightly more expensive Titanium version. Both cans are built very well and look great but my preference is the EL-8C Ti. You can purchase an aftermarket balanced cable for the EL-8C. This thing feels like a tank.

Putting that list together makes me question why I bought an EL-8C but the most important factor is sound. I listen to a lot of electronic music and the first time I listened to Seven Lions or Peter Robinson on the EL-8C was one of those "wow" moments for me. In my opinion, the EL-8C sounds more fun than the PM-3. The bass is more impactful, the highs aren't as rolled off and the larger planar drives help me feel more involved in the music. Also, I love gaming with these headphones.

The PM-3 are probably the more "musically correct" headphone. They sound great for classical, jazz and classic rock. They're also more laid back and more relaxing for extended listening sessions.

Both cans are easy to drive and can be used straight out of your smartphone. Both cans scale well and sound better with an amp. Personally I think the EL-8 benefits more from an amp than the PM-3.

I ended up selling the PM-3 and purchasing a Sennheiser HD 6XX. Nice pairing.

Hope this helped!

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #500 of 711
From what I have read the Oppo's are quite flat is that what you found? 

See I find my current cans too bright (400i's) so I think I would prefer some a bit more neutral, but not too flat that they become boring.

Do you find the EL-8's have plenty of detail? Do instruments sound natural?

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #501 of 711
  From what I have read the Oppo's are quite flat is that what you found? 

See I find my current cans too bright (400i's) so I think I would prefer some a bit more neutral, but not too flat that they become boring.

Do you find the EL-8's have plenty of detail? Do instruments sound natural?

I found the PM-3 to be very flat and somewhat boring. I find that the EL-8 have plenty of detail and that they are bright but not too bright. Our tastes could be different though, so if you get a chance try them out!

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #502 of 711

​Yes, but the two first ones were from the first generation (the one with black boxes). Those first units had all kind of problems, falling cups, cable issues, crinkling, etc etc. At some point in 2016 they started to ship in white boxes ,with also modified improved drivers for a better sound.

Hi mcemce13,
The pair I bought came in a white outer case that contained black packaging.  That black packaging surrounded the headphones, themselves.  Additionally, my manufacturing date was August 29th, 2016.  I assumed this date was after the revision that fixed the aforementioned issues.  However, your post suggests (to me) that my pair may not have the revised drivers.  Could you give me your thoughts?

Thank you.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #505 of 711
So I ended up buying these today and they're awesome!
Inspected on Oct 16, and they have the foam that's obscuring the fazors. Out of the box, treble is very smooth and hardly fatiguing, and I'm expecting this to improve after break in.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #506 of 711
Sounds great :) But foam obscuring the fazors? Do you mind taking a picture or explain? :p

Audeze shipped me a new pair today! Had to return my second hand purchase due to the crackling problem in both cups! So I got to hand it to the Audeze customer service indeed :) It's going to be a long week waiting :p

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #508 of 711
Sure, there you go:

I wasn't surprised by this, I already saw a picture in another thread where someone actually took the earcup apart and took the foam out. It's a change they did in the last few months I think.

BTW, I got no carrying case with these whatsoever, not even the pouch.
I know Audeze's travel case for the EL-8 is a little too snuggly (better for the Sine).
What do you guys use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back