Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #1,006 of 1,904
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,007 of 1,904
Shangri-la Jr
Oof. Yah. That could 100% play a role in that crbn vs lcd-5 impression when he uses a v590 for classic transducers

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #1,008 of 1,904
Comparing the CRBN to the VOCE or the Shangri-la Jr, I have found the CRBN suffer much more from STAX Distortion (Farts) when the headphone moves a bit on my head. I spoke with Audeze about this and they claim its a necessary evil to get more bottom end out of the headphones. has anyone else experienced this?

It's normal for this headphone. I do think this should've been avoided, as it does happen far more than any other stat, but it has gotten less intrusive over time. I've likely just adjusted and stopped moving as much lol

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #1,009 of 1,904
The Voce is even worse for this. But once I have them seated where I want I don't really notice it with either one.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,010 of 1,904
The Voce is even worse for this. But once I have them seated where I want I don't really notice it with either one.
I disagree, unless my CRBN are super sensitive, but I have a lot more of it with my CRBN... And none with my Shangri-La Jr. Does anyone have experience with the STAX-009s, and farting.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,011 of 1,904
I disagree, unless my CRBN are super sensitive, but I have a lot more of it with my CRBN... And none with my Shangri-La Jr. Does anyone have experience with the STAX-009s, and farting.
it happens all the time with the CRBNs. If I touch either cup again a pillow or anything it happens, sometimes to such an extent that I need to unplug the phones, touch the connector prongs with my finger and plug them back in. I must say that this is quite a nuisance. It means I can't use these at night while reclining. It really is annoying to me.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,013 of 1,904
certainly sounds like an aggravation for sure....

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,015 of 1,904
it happens all the time with the CRBNs. If I touch either cup again a pillow or anything it happens, sometimes to such an extent that I need to unplug the phones, touch the connector prongs with my finger and plug them back in. I must say that this is quite a nuisance. It means I can't use these at night while reclining. It really is annoying to me.
I'm not experiencing that. I only get the sound when I adjust the headphones and break the seal. I've never had the diaphragm stick to the stator; which I think is what you are describing with needing to discharge them. That is different than the "STAX Fart."

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,016 of 1,904
Same with mine. Only if I break seal to adjust. Otherwise it doesn't happen. The Voce will do it if I try to eat something while listening, must be enough movement from chewing. The 009s rarely ever did it.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,017 of 1,904
I'm not experiencing that. I only get the sound when I adjust the headphones and break the seal. I've never had the diaphragm stick to the stator; which I think is what you are describing with needing to discharge them. That is different than the "STAX Fart."
Thanks for the clarification. In my case the diaphragm must be sticking to the stator as you say because the L/R balance gets out of whack until I discharge with my finger. I had no idea that this can so easily happen. Greatly diminishes my satisfaction with these headphones.

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #1,018 of 1,904
Thanks for the clarification. In my case the diaphragm must be sticking to the stator as you say because the L/R balance gets out of whack until I discharge with my finger. I had no idea that this can so easily happen. Greatly diminishes my satisfaction with these headphones.
I think estats are higher maintenance in general than other classes of headphones. The right driver of my Shangri-la Junior started making intermittent hissing/spitting noises and was recently sent back for service.

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,019 of 1,904
I think estats are higher maintenance in general than other classes of headphones. The right driver of my Shangri-la Junior started making intermittent hissing/spitting noises and was recently sent back for service.
Hissing and spitting? Are they so wonderful that you're willing to endure these sorts of problems? I never heard of a planar hissing and spitting!

Jan 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #1,020 of 1,904
Hissing and spitting? Are they so wonderful that you're willing to endure these sorts of problems? I never heard of a planar hissing and spitting!
Yea, instead you must worry about the Audeze drivers in the LCD-1,2,3,4,5 failing at an amazing rate. Or you worry about the 1266 driver sleeping because it's tired. LOL

Or you could buy an HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back