Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #556 of 820
Are the cups different sized than Hifiman cans? I am starting to get dastardly DIY ideas of trying to use the Audeze damping wooden cups to close some HE500s and see how they sound (and look!). It could either turn out fantastic or awful depending on how the cups attach or how each driver is made to sound when damped. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #557 of 820
  Got reply from Audeze support,

They currently do not offer the option of selling different wood style cups. However, in the future, their customers (I think those users buy LCD-XC) may be able to purchase them separately.

You guys want custom wood cups for your Audeze phones?   Go to www.martincustomaudio.com and check out what he does.  I have a Denon D5000 of his in Brazilian Rosewood and a D2000 just about ready to ship back to me in Cocobolo Rosewood.  Man is an artist with wood headphone cups. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #558 of 820

You guys want custom wood cups for your Audeze phones?   Go to www.martincustomaudio.com and check out what he does.  I have a Denon D5000 of his in Brazilian Rosewood and a D2000 just about ready to ship back to me in Cocobolo Rosewood.  Man is an artist with wood headphone cups. 

Some pics? 
biggrin.gif

I'm a huge fan of his.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #559 of 820
Stock D7000 on the left and the D5000's with the Brazilnan Rosewood on the right. This pic does not do it justice, as they are gorgeous.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #561 of 820
Thanks.......and they sound as good as they look. Very close to the D7000, almost too close to call.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #562 of 820
  keep in mind, there's more to sound than the driver. The housing for example makes a huge differance [as you've seen with the 3D printed AD houseing] not to mention I have no idea just how much Dan has modded that T50 RP driver, anything from Voice Coil upgrades, to dampening would make a differance to.

Still I to would like to hear a review of the XC outside of the noisy Can Jam setting 

well i was just thinking maybe the driver can be a bottleneck... probably because im not very impressed with the stock t50rp sonically

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #564 of 820

well i was just thinking maybe the driver can be a bottleneck... probably because im not very impressed with the stock t50rp sonically

I think the stock pads and houseing where more of a bottle neck. I was shocked at how... much improvement modding my w1000x netted me, a little dynamat [placed intelligently] and the L3000 pads really made it blossom into a wonderful headphone! 

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #565 of 820
T50RP drivers are fine - just look at all the success the major modders have had with it. The MD, Thunderpants, and Alpha all sound very little like the original headphone. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #569 of 820
  If I ever hit the end of the journey (or get a ginormous pay rise) will be getting an entire set of the Klutz stands. Stunning combination of looks and functionality but they cost more than very good headphones
blink.gif

I don't know, are they that "functional?" Seems like omega stands have a better design philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back