Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #302 of 820
This looks very interesting. I'm predicting $1200 -1500 for a for a launch price. And, I'm guessing that performance will come in a hair below the LCD2.2. You can't expect "open" type performance from a closed closed design, imho.

That said, I will likely pass on this one, simply because I have no need for a $1000 plus portable. I will keep my M100 for portable use. My next headphone, to go along with my LCD3, will likely be an electrostatic.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #303 of 820
Quote:
This looks very interesting. I'm predicting $1200 -1500 for a for a launch price. And, I'm guessing that performance will come in a hair below the LCD2.2. You can't expect "open" type performance from a closed closed design, imho.

That said, I will likely pass on this one, simply because I have no need for a $1000 plus portable. I will keep my M100 for portable use. My next headphone, to go along with my LCD3, will likely be an electrostatic.

TH-900 would surely open your ears to the possibility of how good a closed back design can be.

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #307 of 820
Quote:
I got to hear the latest prototypes at the NYC Audio Show on Sunday. Very impressed. I plan to buy a pair (if I can afford them!).

Give us more details.....

popcorn.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #310 of 820
Give us more details.....

I only spent ten minutes with them. They had an excellent seal and a very balanced sound. Unsurprisingly, they sound and look a lot like my LCD 2s. Imagine a pair of LCD 2s with the leather headband and wooden cups. They are not noticeably heavier than the 2s despite the cups. The bass pressure inside the cups was very strong (more than my HD-25 II); I need to spend more time with them to decide if it is a bit too much for my taste.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #311 of 820
The quote below was on the NYC Audio Show thread.  Seems like it's different but the same.

Quote:
Met Alex yesterday who I've corresponded with before. Nice guy, in fact the whole staff is. Today he had not come in as yet.

I did have a good 20 minute listen to the closed back prototype. As I was making my notes one of the team said, "We are going to use different drivers, we are just showing about what it will look like"
We will have an engineer who will be working just on this project"
So I stopped jotting my notes because it probably is not going to sound the same as the prototype on display today.

Two things though I am sure of and I verified with the fellow who was talking to me.

1. It going to have, as this one has, the Audeze sound. Large sound stage, wide range from top to bottom, and detail.
2. It will, as this one does, look like a Audeze headphone.

BTW the set up is......Macbook Air > DACmini > Bryston BH-1 > LCD closed back.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #313 of 820
Quote:
The quote below was on the NYC Audio Show thread.  Seems like it's different but the same.

Quote:
Hope it doesn't look like that.  Quite honestly the very first one that Jude posted has looked best so far.  I wouldn't mind a cherry-wood type color, but I'm not feeling the purplish frame.

Just to get the two versions on the same page; I agree this one looks much better!

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #315 of 820
Quote:
Oh man.  'New Driver' and 'engineer working just for' sounds like a good reason to spike the price on this to me.  

Audeze has never marketed to the consumer or Low-Fi/Mid-Fi crowd. They have and will probably always will be a market towards the enthusiast crowd, and the price will represent that accordingly. I do understand the people who want to believe this headphone will be "affordable" but it just isn't realistic given Audeze's past ventures. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back