Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Dec 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #286 of 820
Quote:
From a customer service standpoint, it's not something customers appreciate.

From a business standpoint, the LCD-2 was the first headphone they mass-produced. The starting price was the one they knew they could make enough profit to keep afloat at. They did NOT need to raise the price to stay in business, nor to make a profit. This is why I have a problem with it. 

The LCD-1 had a limited run under 30 (IIRC) and was priced at $400. The LCD-2 was protyped at $600-650 (can't exactly recall),
but they were released at $945.

Regardless, is it not to be expected. Takato, do you actually know they did NOT need to raise the price for any reason other than being greedy men?
It kind of feels like you're just being presumptuous.

Sure, you can dislike the price, but don't act like you know what their reasons for business decisions are.

Now correct me if I'm wrong with anything aforementioned.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #287 of 820
Quote:
Simmer down there.  He meant that it's bad form to raise the price four hundred dollars.  I think the LCD-2s are worth the grand you have to drop, but I wouldn't mind $600 for them either.

Heh, not angry but it does rub me the wrong way. Obviously I wouldn't mind if I had gotten them for $400 less either but it seems sort of silly to complain about a business doing business.

Oh, and I didn't initially mention it since I'm not positive of my pricing history, but with paradoxper chiming in, yeah, I don't think they ever were $600 to begin with. I believe the only time they were less than the release price of $945 was if you were an LCD-1 owner.

If you've got anything that actually shows them for $600 then I'd be quite interested in seeing it; but even if they were initially announced at that price I don't think they were ever sold anywhere near it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #288 of 820
Quote:

Heh, not angry but it does rub me the wrong way. Obviously I wouldn't mind if I had gotten them for $400 less either but it seems sort of silly to complain about a business doing business.

Oh, and I didn't initially mention it since I'm not positive of my pricing history, but with paradoxper chiming in, yeah, I don't think they ever were $600 to begin with. I believe the only time they were less than the release price of $945 was if you were an LCD-1 owner.

If you've got anything that actually shows them for $600 then I'd be quite interested in seeing it; but even if they were initially announced at that price I don't think they were ever sold anywhere near it.

I never heard of it being $600 and I'm rather dubious myself.  The Wikiphonia article on the LCD-1s doesn't list an initial price but $600 for them mightn't be so far-fetched.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #289 of 820
Quote:

I never said they were sold at that price. While in prototype the LCD-2's were said to be for $650.
However they were released for $995.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #290 of 820
Quote:
I never said they were sold at that price. While in prototype the LCD-2's were said to be for $650.
However they were released for $995.

Sorry for the confusion, asking for a link/more info actually wasn't directed at you since you weren't the one claiming they were ever sold at $600 :)

From what I thought I had heard, before being released they were rumored to be around $600-ish but were then released at their current price (or at least very close to). I also recall hearing that owners of the LCD-1 were offered a discount on the LCD-2, but it's always possible I'm mistaken on that.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #291 of 820
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, asking for a link/more info actually wasn't directed at you since you weren't the one claiming they were ever sold at $600 :)

From what I thought I had heard, before being released they were rumored to be around $600-ish but were then released at their current price (or at least very close to). I also recall hearing that owners of the LCD-1 were offered a discount on the LCD-2, but it's always possible I'm mistaken on that.

It's alright. I thought mentioning a resource for where you could find the info would be useful (it was asked of), but I got in trouble.

I think this is back when the LCD-2 was still in prototype, I can't be certain either way. I think it makes sense that LCD-1 owners
would get some discount considering the LCD-1 were limited to under 30 runs. Early adopters reward.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #293 of 820
Rather than a full sized, I'd really like to see them develop a portable... 

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #294 of 820
Quote:
Rather than a full sized, I'd really like to see them develop a portable... 

Agreed. Then I'd like to see them not price it at over $1000. Something in the $500-600 range would be nice.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #296 of 820
Quote:
It's alright. I thought mentioning a resource for where you could find the info would be useful (it was asked of), but I got in trouble.

I think this is back when the LCD-2 was still in prototype, I can't be certain either way. I think it makes sense that LCD-1 owners
would get some discount considering the LCD-1 were limited to under 30 runs. Early adopters reward.

It was not just an early adopters reward. It was an upgrade path that was promised when they sold the LCD-1. (After having the LCD-1, the LCD-2 was impossible to resist. Despite the superior bass and more attractive headset of the LCD-2 I am still very very happy that the upgrade path included keeping the LCD-1.)

I would also like to see a new portable orthodynamic.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #297 of 820
Quote:

It was not just an early adopters reward. It was an upgrade path that was promised when they sold the LCD-1. (After having the LCD-1, the LCD-2 was impossible to resist. Despite the superior bass and more attractive headset of the LCD-2 I am still very very happy that the upgrade path included keeping the LCD-1.)

I would also like to see a new portable orthodynamic.

What do you mean by this? The LCD-1 was more of a proof of concept and those early adopters were promised an LCD-2
as a definitive improvement?

Also, can you recall/confirm those early adopters got a discount? If so, how much?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #299 of 820
Quote:
What do you mean by this? The LCD-1 was more of a proof of concept and those early adopters were promised an LCD-2
as a definitive improvement?

Also, can you recall/confirm those early adopters got a discount? If so, how much?

A bit late perhaps, but yes, there was a discount. Not quite the entire amount of the LCD-1 but it was close ( I have the paperwork somewhere around but I can't find it at the moment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back