Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Dec 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #271 of 820
Quote:
I thought those QC issues are a thing of the past though? 

Be that as it may, its still a $2000 headphone. One wrong move, one screwdriver in the wrong place... 

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #275 of 820
Quote:

Anyways, back on topic: was the estimation of ~$2.5k for the closed back prototypes just a wild guess?

Most likely. However, since the LCD-3s are already 2k, and then you add the extra manufactured parts and the R&D cost for them on top of that, it's not unreasonable. Alas, these days no company sells more for less $.

Now if the guys at Audeze decide that a closed design will not be able to leverage the LCD-3's Lotus diaphragm's subtle improvements over the regular one anyway, they may base it off the LCD-2 and a lower price is possible.

Or maybe there will be both an LCD-3c(losed) and an LCD-2c...
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #276 of 820
I thought it was fairly clear from the pictures in the OP that these are based off LCD-2 drivers.  Pricing them more than the LCD-3's wouldn't make much sense if that's true. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #277 of 820
Quote:
I thought it was fairly clear from the pictures in the OP that these are based off LCD-2 drivers.  Pricing them more than the LCD-3's wouldn't make much sense if that's true. 

Considering Audez'e's previous pricing history, yknow like jacking the price of the LCD-2 up by $400 when people said it was a good deal, I would expect them to do something like this.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #279 of 820
Seems like nobody here posted this video of one month ago at RMAF, showing Alex Rosson with the new prototype and talking about a mid-2013 release... Wait & see!
http://vimeo.com/51569553

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #280 of 820
Dec 19, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #281 of 820
I finally had a chance to demo the LCD3 at a meet in June and i wasn't really impressed, I felt it was very lacking in bass for my taste. For 2k I gotta say it sounded very hollow to me.

I demoed with an Eddie Current balancing act and a W4S Dac2. Personally I like the HE-6 with the EF-6 amp way better. Maybe I would like the LCD3 better with a good solid state amp like the EF6?

I do have high hope for the new closed design though!

The ECBA is not very good with the LCD3s. I'd recommend the Mjolnir to get the best out of these cans.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #283 of 820
Quote:
Yes, it was. Kinda ****ty of them if you ask me...

It's their product and obviously most people here think it's worth it at $995 so what's the problem? That someone somewhere got a better deal, or that the guys at Audeze want to be able to keep making money so they can make new products?

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #284 of 820
Quote:

It's their product and obviously most people here think it's worth it at $995 so what's the problem? That someone somewhere got a better deal, or that the guys at Audeze want to be able to keep making money so they can make new products?

Simmer down there.  He meant that it's bad form to raise the price four hundred dollars.  I think the LCD-2s are worth the grand you have to drop, but I wouldn't mind $600 for them either.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #285 of 820
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it was. Kinda ****ty of them if you ask me...

From a customer service standpoint, it's not something customers appreciate.

From a business standpoint, the LCD-2 was the first headphone they mass-produced. The starting price was the one they knew they could make enough profit to keep afloat at. They did NOT need to raise the price to stay in business, nor to make a profit. This is why I have a problem with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back