Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #406 of 820
Quote:
I would consider the prototype to be portable for me. Well transportable is probably the better word, but it's definitely better than the open back LCD-2/3. I will be using them at Starbucks and on commutes if I get them.

I'll bet you'll get some goofy looks with two coconut shells on your ears 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #407 of 820
Quote:
I'll bet you'll get some goofy looks with two coconut shells on your ears 
tongue_smile.gif

No doubt, but a small price to pay to have that kind of quality outside. Who knows maybe in the end I will consider it "not worth it" and just go back to using my MDR-7520. The cool thing about the Sony is that it's pretty nondescript. It looks like a $30 can, but sounds like $300 dollars.

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #410 of 820
Quote:
No doubt, but a small price to pay to have that kind of quality outside. Who knows maybe in the end I will consider it "not worth it" and just go back to using my MDR-7520. The cool thing about the Sony is that it's pretty nondescript. It looks like a $30 can, but sounds like $300 dollars.

That's the huge redeeming feature of Sony's high-end stuff. No matter if you have a 7520, a Z1000, or and EX1000, nobody thinks it's worth more than fifty bucks. They're utterly fantastic for portable use in high-crime areas by that virtue.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #411 of 820
Quote:
That's the huge redeeming feature of Sony's high-end stuff. No matter if you have a 7520, a Z1000, or and EX1000, nobody thinks it's worth more than fifty bucks. They're utterly fantastic for portable use in high-crime areas by that virtue.

yes, my friend asked me how much my z1000 costs and then said I was ripped off. it probably didn't look like a very expensive headphone to him... but actually I think it looks pretty nice, simple, classy, classic... I may be a bit biased as im the owner and I like sony as a brand. however, I can say it looks better in person than in pictures. ok, back to audeze closed back, hopefully the price tag isn't too hefty...

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #413 of 820
Jul 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #414 of 820
Quote:
Well we have portable amps that can supposedly drive the HE-6. Multiple entries from Ray Samuals, Ibasso, and ALO Audio, not to mention Triad Audio Lisa + others I'm forgetting. Now whether this is true or not is debatable. So if Audeze manages to make a planar headphone that is at least as efficient as the HE-400 in a closed form, then I think there will be quite a number of portable amps that can drive them to okay potential.if not outright excellent potential. I think the biggest hurdle to them being truly portable is the form factor. My feeling is that they'll be huge and not robust given the wooden cups. I'll probably have to baby them when I'm outside and get really paranoid on the subways/buses/cafes. In the end it might not be worth it and I might as well get something like the FitEar 334 or Shure 846.

I will by trying out my Thunderpants with the AK100 tomorrow.
Supposedly people have gotten good results with this DAP driving the current Audezes

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #415 of 820
Quote:
I will by trying out my Thunderpants with the AK100 tomorrow.
Supposedly people have gotten good results with this DAP driving the current Audezes

I'm almost 100% positive the AK100 will not have sufficient power for the Thunderpants. It has a pretty week amp stage. One of the major flaws of the device. If you use it as a transport, that's a different story. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #416 of 820
Quote:

I'm almost 100% positive the AK100 will not have sufficient power for the Thunderpants. It has a pretty week amp stage. One of the major flaws of the device. If you use it as a transport, that's a different story. 

well then its a pretty pricy transport then dont you think? 

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #417 of 820
Quote:

Yep, that's why the Red Wine modded AK100 is so popular.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #418 of 820
Quote:

Hmm... value depends on the individual. There aren't many DAPs that measure as well as the AK100 as far as what matter in a transport. It is small, good battery life, fluid GUI, and plays Hi-Res with multiple formats. There are quite a few people that use the AK100 as a transport alone. There isn't many DAPs that come close to its feature set. Also the price, has dropped significantly since the release, you can readily find them used in mint condition for 400-500. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #419 of 820

Unfortunately you are correct. The AK100 wasn't enen close to having enough drive. So either the LCDs are much easier to drive than the TPs and based on experience with numerous meets this isn't the case, or the reviewers that said the LCDs worked well with the AK100 were satisfied with very low volumes.
I tried the AK with Sennheiser Momentums and while a much better match, didn't quite do it for me. Maybe the AK with one of the high efficiency Beyer Teslas?
For now I am sticking with my Colorfly C4 which does have enough drive.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #420 of 820
Quote:
Unfortunately you are correct. The AK100 wasn't enen close to having enough drive. So either the LCDs are much easier to drive than the TPs and based on experience with numerous meets this isn't the case, or the reviewers that said the LCDs worked well with the AK100 were satisfied with very low volumes.
I tried the AK with Sennheiser Momentums and while a much better match, didn't quite do it for me. Maybe the AK with one of the high efficiency Beyer Teslas?
For now I am sticking with my Colorfly C4 which does have enough drive.

Yea, its amp stage just doesn't pack enough power for many full-sized headphones. It will do fine with lower impedance phones in regards to volume/gain, but the high output impedance will alter your sound. This was the #1 flaw of the device, and is why many people won't consider it without getting it modded by RWA, MS, etc. It just really isn't a good AIO unit for most headphones/earphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back