Audeo PFE012 vs Shure SE215
Sep 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CowB

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi people...

For unknown reasons I am looking at purchasing a sub $100 IEM. I only have SM3 and I do quite like them for listening to trance, techno and some pop/rock.

I've read through most of the SE215 thread but the Phonak one will have to wait until maybe tomorrow....

If i like the SM3, which of the above 2 IEM would I like more...? I use a clip+

Thanks in advance.

//edit - I've had the SM3 since.... 2 years ago I think? or more and the only other "sound system" I have are Aktimate bookshelf speakers.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 12
Im listening to trance on the SE215, I find they lack treble for some of the higher frequencies in trance (cymbals and other sparkly sounds). I miss the treble as it really makes certain tracks shine.

The bass on these things on the other hand feels incredible, full, strong and has great presence. 

So far the most enjoyable music on these has been progressive house, which is similar to minimalist techno as the tracks are clear. Listening to John Digweed's Transitions V3 is amazing.

If you dont mind the missing sparkle, go for them as they sound great otherwise.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 12
I agree the SE215 lack the energy and sparkle on the high end making some tracks dull. The bass is plentiful and has nice impact.

Another thing to consider may be the fit. I have never tried the PFE but the SE215's cord is very hard. I find it almost impossible to stay in place behind my ear as it is very thick. I also find it bothersome where the cord connects to the housings as it swivels a lot. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 12
PFE. Tried the SE215 and the treble came across as harsh and undefined. PFEs are very neutral across the entire range; gray filters will make them sound even better.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Is the PFE any similar to the Re0?

I had a chance to listen to a pair of re0 yesterday and I hated it. The whole thing felt muddy and slow? to me. Maybe I just won't like dynamic driver IEMs ?

I'll likely pickup a pair of PFE in the very very near future :)

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Buy shure se215 if you crave bass and nothing else.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 12
I haven't tried any of these, but all of the Shure products I have heard have a treble roll-off. I, however, do enjoy the e-q5, which sounds like a "upgraded PFE" apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back