ATTN Grado lovers! Need a hand making a decision.
Apr 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 26

I would go with the SR80i and a few tweaks posted http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod <here. iPod should be able to power any grado just fine. If you want to upgrade later I would skip the 125i, 225i, and get the 325is. I prefer them over the SR225i.
Quote:
How comes people always suggest that the 225 are the best value for money in the Grado range?  From what you are saying, wouldn't it be the SR80 then?

It offers about the same clarity as the 325 and RS2 and can sound pretty darn close with a few simple mods. That's my take on it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 26
Damn really?  I listened to the 225 and was really impressed by it whilst the 60 I was completely underwhelmed.  I did think the 225 was on the border tho, fun in ya face but little less to equal clear as my Ultrasone.  Thought if I go any lower, I wouldn't like it.  Might go for the 80 and mod instead then.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 26
Thanks for the great feedback so far! If when I listen to the 125's the difference is minor I think I'll just mod out a set of 80i's =)

Planning on re-cabling and doing the amp/LOD route for home use. Woody cups are gonna be tough to do right the first time but I'm up for the challenge. And then a black leather headband for them from JMoney would just top it off nicely while making them more comfy I'm sure. 

http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/headbands.php pretty cool stuff

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 26
if you don't want to do the wood cups yerself, there's people who'll do it for you.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 26

I can say his products and service is stellar. I ordered a dark brown headband from him and due to my partial color blindness it appeared to be black. I contacted him about it and he was ready to send another ASAP without me sending the brown one back first. My wife told me it was indeed dark brown so I didn't need to switch LOL. I currently use one on my pair of 325is. The headband is way better than stock! It works well with the heavy cups on the metal grados since it distributes the weight better on top of the head due to being a wider headband. The lambskin is softer and more comfortable than the vinyl ones it comes with. The only qualm I've had with it is the fitting in the blocks. You have to tilt the metal piece in the band slightly forward in the blocks or the adjustment rods will rub against the headband which could be a spot for potential wear over time. Stitching is very heavy duty and I expect it to last longer than my grados. I feel the headband that comes with the plastic shelled grados is good enough since they aren't very heavy. The headband kinda floats on your head with those. If you do buy one and go with the SR80 the good thing is you can take it off and put it on your new set. I secured mine with white school glue in case I ever decide to upgrade to the RS1 or higher BUT I would more than likely buy another headband since they are so darn good.
Quote:

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
How comes people always suggest that the 225 are the best value for money in the Grado range?  From what you are saying, wouldn't it be the SR80 then?

I said the 80, 125, and 225 all sound similar with the same set of pads,  I didn't say that they sound the same. 
smile_phones.gif
  I think there is added refinement and definition and resolution as you move up the ladder.  More impact.  Plus you get the better cable with the 125 and 225, and you get better driver matching with the 225's.

Personally, I didn't like the SR325is's.  Too bright.  I much prefer the Alessandro version: the MS2i.  Do a search.  The SR325i's seem to be an odd duck within their line.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback so far! If when I listen to the 125's the difference is minor I think I'll just mod out a set of 80i's =)

Planning on re-cabling and doing the amp/LOD route for home use. Woody cups are gonna be tough to do right the first time but I'm up for the challenge. And then a black leather headband for them from JMoney would just top it off nicely while making them more comfy I'm sure. 

http://www.jmoneyaudio.com/headbands.php pretty cool stuff

In your shoes, I'd get the SR80 & do costless mods if you want to.  But when you are ready to spend money on cables (which will not change the sound) wooden cups & headband, put that money instead towards a cheap dac (e.g. uDac) or sell the SR80 and upgrade to HF-1, HF-2 or RS-1, which will deliver very tangible improvements in sound.

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #23 of 26
Just want to update to say I got the 80i's.  

Sound BETTER to my ears than the 125i's. Slightly rolled off high's seemed like. 
The 125's had a tiny touch more shine and detail but I listen to a lot more than just classical so the 80's fit with most of my tunes a little better.

75 listening hours later, I seriously couldn't be happier with my decision.

Already put them on someone's head who thought they were cheap cans...He was wearing beats. 
Needless to say he said they sounded awesome! (doesn't think there's enough bass haha)

Looking at a uDac and possibly an lod of some sort.

Thanks for all the great advice to all who posted =D

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Already put them on someone's head who thought they were cheap cans...He was wearing beats. 
Needless to say he said they sounded awesome! (doesn't think there's enough bass haha)

The poor guy probably doesn't know what real bass should sound like.  If he's got the Beats, then he's probably pretty heavy into Hip-Hop, which usually means an overwhelming amount of bloated bass.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
iPod should be able to power any grado just fine.

To me, there's a big difference between "just fine" and "absolute bliss".  Portable music devices can drive the Grados just fine - yes, that's true.  However, to achieve all that they're capable of, one has to consider amplifying the source.  After realizing how much of a difference there actually was, I just jumped ship and purchased a pair of Klipsch Image S4 ear buds to use with my portable players.  I keep the Grados for use connected to better amplification, etc. - to get the most enjoyment out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back