ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #9,572 of 9,714
Hi!

I`ve been searching for my "perfect closed back " since I started listening to headphones seriously, back in 2018. I`ve had Fostex TH 610, Denon AHD 7200, Aeon Flow Closed, Beyer DT1770, etc... but none of them really have convinced me.

Only a month ago I pulled the trigger on these ZMF Eikon camphor and I couldn`t be happier. They sound so sweet and musical with any genre you throw at them and they give me the isolation I need when I`m listening upstairs with my noisy daughters :)

Eikon.JPG

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #9,574 of 9,714
Finally got some Ori Suedes for my cherry Atticus. These really make this headphone perfect for me IMO. I shouldn't have waited !
These are my favorite pads for the Atticus.

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #9,576 of 9,714
Eikons: LTD Camphor Burl / LTD Cocobolo …
170AA7F4-1AF1-4D49-A3BF-70E1ECF563CC.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #9,577 of 9,714
With all these great pictures, thought I'd share my Cherry Eikons. They are based on one of the original prototypes for Eikons. @zach915m found them in the shop and finished them for me earlier this year.

Cherry Eikons.jpg
I love those early Cherry sets - my favorite Eikon of all time is the Rustic barnyard Cherry they did around that time - I've got a bass guitar my father handbuilt for me out of 80+ yr old Cherry wood and it looks exactly like the Rustic Barnyard Cherry eikons in terms of color/grain and whatnot. Would be awesome to have a matched set someday.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #9,578 of 9,714
I love those early Cherry sets - my favorite Eikon of all time is the Rustic barnyard Cherry they did around that time - I've got a bass guitar my father handbuilt for me out of 80+ yr old Cherry wood and it looks exactly like the Rustic Barnyard Cherry eikons in terms of color/grain and whatnot. Would be awesome to have a matched set someday.
I have one of those rare beauties! :) It was my first ZMF and still gets a ton of listening time even with the Atriums and other headphones in my stable. I love the rustic brown hue it has.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #9,579 of 9,714
Since we're on the subject of Cherry Eikon, here's my early production Cherry Atticus:
20220310_150933.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #9,580 of 9,714
My Eikon is rusted Zebrawood:
20220713_215236_HDR.jpg

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #9,581 of 9,714
Hi,

I am a few years too late, but I am about to take the plunge on getting my first ZMF headphones: ZMF Atticus stabilized for pairing with JDS Labs Element III Mk2 (ESS-based DAC) and xDuoo TA-26 (OTL tube amp with Mullard 6SN7 and 6AS7). My other favorite pairings are iFi xDSD Gryphon x Focal Clear MG and Hifiman EF400 x Hifiman Arya SE with Effect Audio CODE 23 cables. My preferred sound signature is warm and musical, midbass punch.

Thoughts? Is the Atticus too warm and muddy if paired with OTL amp?

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #9,582 of 9,714
Hi,

I am a few years too late, but I am about to take the plunge on getting my first ZMF headphones: ZMF Atticus stabilized for pairing with JDS Labs Element III Mk2 (ESS-based DAC) and xDuoo TA-26 (OTL tube amp with Mullard 6SN7 and 6AS7). My other favorite pairings are iFi xDSD Gryphon x Focal Clear MG and Hifiman EF400 x Hifiman Arya SE with Effect Audio CODE 23 cables. My preferred sound signature is warm and musical, midbass punch.

The Atticus is exactly what you are looking for.

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #9,583 of 9,714
The Atticus is exactly what you are looking for.
Thanks - also forgot to say, I am currently using xDuoo TA-26 with the Sennheiser HD800S, just looking for confirmation that the pairing with Atticus will be alright and provides a different flavour.

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #9,584 of 9,714
Thanks - also forgot to say, I am currently using xDuoo TA-26 with the Sennheiser HD800S, just looking for confirmation that the pairing with Atticus will be alright and provides a different flavour.
No prob, I remember when I first got my Atticus, and I was pleasantly surprised how capable and balanced it was for being a warmish headphone. There is definitely a middbass hump, but it is very tastefully done to give it just enough bloom to makes thing very organic and natural sounding. The Atticus was made for tube amps.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #9,585 of 9,714
Hi,

Not at all. Excels on OTLs as do all the ZMF dynamics. The few stabilized pics so far are amazing, so go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back