ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 2, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #9,451 of 9,711
Finally got around to trying out Caldera Suede pads with the Eikon and very glad I did! Given they're one of the stock pad options on the Atrium Closed I figured they might also sound good on the Eikon. I normally use the Eikon suede (closed) pads. It seems like that solid inner part works well to keep the amazing Eikon sub-bass, while making them a bit more airy. They're actually a lot more similar to my Auteur OG which I always use perforated Eikon suede pads. My Eikons get less use than my other ZMFs and occasionally think about selling them, especially since I'll be getting the Atrium Closed at some point this year. Then I spend a little more time with them and think no way am I ever letting these go!

I actually bought the extra set of Caldera Suedes after loving them on the VO, but I think they're even a better match with the Eikons. I've not heard any other Caldera pads but imagine they're all worth a try with the Eikons if one has them. IMG_9815D.jpeg
I just received my Caldera Suede pads today, having ordered them thanks to your post.

Will have to try them on my Atticus and Eikon and report back in a few days on how they sound. Might even try them on my Sony 7506 and T50 mods, seems like a versatile pad.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #9,452 of 9,711
I just received my Caldera Suede pads today, having ordered them thanks to your post.

Will have to try them on my Atticus and Eikon and report back in a few days on how they sound. Might even try them on my Sony 7506 and T50 mods, seems like a versatile pad.
They really change the Eikon, and not necessarily better, just different. I also tried them on the Aeolus since someone enjoyed them on that, but they made everything seem muffled, definitely with more bass though. I loved them on the Verite Open at first, but less so now. I find it so interesting how all their pads can make such a difference. The Atticus is the only model I've never enjoyed an alternate pad on. Also the thickness of the Ori pads is just so gratifyingly comfortable.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #9,453 of 9,711
I've been interested in hearing the Ori suedes on the Atticus. If anyone has a pair they may want to let go I might be interested.

I have my buddies liquid platinum amp as I was super interested in hearing it with Atticus. I had a LP for 3 years but kind of foolishly sold it last summer before I ever had Atticus. What a pairing I like it better than crack and all my other amps I think. I loved the LP but I grew bored as the HD650 basically became my only headphone and there's better amps for that headphone IMO like crack.

This is a fantastic pairing IMO liquid platinum bifrost 2 and Cherry Atticus. Just the correct amount of bass, Atticus can get muddy sometimes but the mids are perfect and better extension in the highs. Everything lives and sounds like it's in its correct space and tonal balances are spot on to my ears.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #9,454 of 9,711
I have my buddies liquid platinum amp as I was super interested in hearing it with Atticus. I had a LP for 3 years but kind of foolishly sold it last summer before I ever had Atticus. What a pairing I like it better than crack and all my other amps I think.

This is a fantastic pairing IMO liquid platinum bifrost 2 and Cherry Atticus. Just the correct amount of bass, Atticus can get muddy sometimes but the mids are perfect and better extension in the highs. Everything lives and sounds like it's in its correct space and tonal balances are spot on to my ears.
Then feast on this!
EA428FEB-D5FD-4C89-BA59-21A11D12CDB9.jpeg
When ‘tubed’ with a Sylvania ‘yellow print, long plate’ 12AU7 pair on Pulse Tube Store adapters, LP is divine with Atticus (LTD Bocote).

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #9,456 of 9,711
Haha nice. How hard is it to get those adapters out ? Do you need the adapters to run 12AU7 tubes or is it just for more clearance?
It is a pain to get them out without scuffing them up. I unscrew the LP back panel & work the adapters up/out slowly with a narrow flathead screwdriver. The 12A**—> E88CC adapters are needed to run 12AU7 tubes in LP. [I own two LPs - one with / one without adapters.]

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #9,457 of 9,711
Haha nice. How hard is it to get those adapters out ? Do you need the adapters to run 12AU7 tubes or is it just for more clearance?

Alternatively, you can insert a pair of tube savers first - that way the adapters stick up further and are easy to switch out.

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #9,458 of 9,711
Update on my cable upgrade:

I grabbed a silver XLR cable off of Aliexpress. After about 100 hours of listening, it sounds fantastic and is an upgrade in every way.

I can't speak to the quality of the metallurgy ("99% Pure Silver" 🤔) , but the twisted pair configuration is perfectly wound.

The only caveat is that I hoped it would thin out the midbass, and it didn't do that. But it did add clarity and expand the soundstage - and without changing the timber or frequency balance. No harshness either. Highly recommended - especially for the price.

US $60.00 75%OFF | 99% Pure Silver + Graphene Silver Plated Shield Earphone Cable For Audeze LCD-24 Open Back Planar Magnetic headphone
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMtMRVe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604-074630.png
    Screenshot_20230604-074630.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #9,459 of 9,711
This is a bit off topic and I am sorry. But has anyone heard a loudspeaker that sounds like the Atticus?

Right now I think its my all time favorite headphone and I've heard a lot. Now I want atticus sound in my speakers. Obviously electronics are a big factor but as you guys know Atticus has a bold, rich, dark, 3d liquid presentation with incredible full bass and prominent mids. What speaker sounds like that?

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #9,460 of 9,711
This is a bit off topic and I am sorry. But has anyone heard a loudspeaker that sounds like the Atticus?

Right now I think its my all time favorite headphone and I've heard a lot. Now I want atticus sound in my speakers. Obviously electronics are a big factor but as you guys know Atticus has a bold, rich, dark, 3d liquid presentation with incredible full bass and prominent mids. What speaker sounds like that?

Thanks.
Maybe a Vandersteen 2C...?

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #9,461 of 9,711

Thanks.
You should read about the Devore O/96 speakers which seem extremely similar to the tonality of Atticus

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #9,462 of 9,711
Jun 17, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #9,463 of 9,711
It's large and expensive, but a pair of speakers I'd love to try (based on glorious reviews) is the Harbeth 30.1s.

The things people say about them fall roughly in line with reviews/comments about the Atticus.

BTW, I had an Atticus but sold it (because it didn't get along with any of my amps). After that I got a blackwood Aeolus, and that headphone gets along with absolutely every other component. So I'm kind of basing my speaker vs Atticus comments on the Aeolus.

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #9,464 of 9,711
It's large and expensive, but a pair of speakers I'd love to try (based on glorious reviews) is the Harbeth 30.1s.

The things people say about them fall roughly in line with reviews/comments about the Atticus.

BTW, I had an Atticus but sold it (because it didn't get along with any of my amps). After that I got a blackwood Aeolus, and that headphone gets along with absolutely every other component. So I'm kind of basing my speaker vs Atticus comments on the Aeolus.

What do you mean by didn't get along ? And which pads were you using ?

I thought about aeolus but im worried it would lose the dark bassy character.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #9,465 of 9,711
What do you mean by didn't get along ? And which pads were you using ?

I thought about aeolus but im worried it would lose the dark bassy character.
I used the stock pad installed by ZMF (I forget what the name was). After burning in my new Atticus for 150+ hours, I tried it with each one of my amps (4 x SS; 1 x OTL/tube). It didn't sound very good on any of them, something that had never happened. It didn't sound awful, or broken, or compromised. But I never heard that glorious Atticus sound others here rave about to this day.

This took weeks and totally bummed me out. So I finally sold them. As far as I know the buyer was very happy with them. I had no choice but to chalk up what felt like a personal loss, to the Atticus being amp-picky.

Ironically, the Aeolus (same driver but different, open-design earcups) was a raging success from day-1 IMS. The Aeolus loves every amp. I can make it sound less than amazing on this or that amp, but it always sounds at least very good. I've found that choice of pads is the biggest factor with the Aeolus: the stock pads were too bassy & warm (IMHO); I switched to the perforated Universe suedes and loved that sound for 3 years. Only recently did I start thinking I needed more resolution & a bit less fun out of the Aeolus, so switched to the Verite pads. Bingo! I tried this >3 years ago, when I first had them. The Verite pads flatten out that exuberant mid-bass just enough to bring out the most resolution I've heard from the Aeolus. But it always sounds musical and fun as can be, no matter which pads are on.

I can't recommend the Aeolus highly enough. If it lost "the dark bassy character," you sure can't prove it by me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back