Jan 12, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #7,621 of 9,716

Attachments

• 388FD7BB-1731-4CA0-A3E6-1303F62D47E6.jpeg
    388FD7BB-1731-4CA0-A3E6-1303F62D47E6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 21, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #7,624 of 9,716
Hi,
New ZMF owner here :)
Went from LCD-XC's through Ethers C Flow an ended up with padauk Eikon's.
They arrived today but so far very happy with the choice I've made :)
Nice....IK your preferences, but I do think you'll enjoy them. Let us know what you think!

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #7,626 of 9,716
Hi,
New ZMF owner here :)
Went from LCD-XC's through Ethers C Flow an ended up with padauk Eikon's.
They arrived today but so far very happy with the choice I've made :)

I have the same padauk Eikon. I do my listening in a fairly dark home office--never any direct sunlight. I owned the Eikon for >1 month, focusing on listening. Finally it occurred to me to look at the earcups under strong light. Damn! That wood is really gorgeous...

It's a most impressive headphone design IMO.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #7,628 of 9,716
Hello, given the warranty on ZMF headphones is non-transferable for second-hand sets, can someone give me some sense on long-term driver reliability?
Most of the the time when we get a driver in to replace its because a tube amp gave it a jolt or a tube arc'd, you definitely went to let your tube amps warm up for a couple minutes before plugging in!

As far as driver failure it's very rare that a driver outright fails, we have sent out a lot of headphones at this point and we don't get very many back for any kind of repair. I will say when burning in your headphones or testing your drivers, keep the volume below 105 dB, anything super loud into dynamic drivers can damage them.

If you're a second hand owner we always try to help and make things as cost effective as possible as well, you will never be turned away because you didn't buy a headphone from us directly.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #7,629 of 9,716
Most of the the time when we get a driver in to replace its because a tube amp gave it a jolt or a tube arc'd, you definitely went to let your tube amps warm up for a couple minutes before plugging in!

As far as driver failure it's very rare that a driver outright fails, we have sent out a lot of headphones at this point and we don't get very many back for any kind of repair. I will say when burning in your headphones or testing your drivers, keep the volume below 105 dB, anything super loud into dynamic drivers can damage them.

If you're a second hand owner we always try to help and make things as cost effective as possible as well, you will never be turned away because you didn't buy a headphone from us directly.
Thank you so much for this info! i've heard great things about you and your customer service, so this is encouraging! Thanks for you time.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #7,630 of 9,716
Nice....IK your preferences, but I do think you'll enjoy them. Let us know what you think!
Hi, have a very bad week for testing, everyone is ill, don't have much time to listen :)
But so far I really like them!
Though that they will be really dark, but they aren't. Bas isn't overwhelming at all rather fast and precise, they are, I would say linear to my ear. Nin fatiguing but with a lot of detail. Very different to the Atticus from what I have heard.
With Eikon pads there is more bass and sub bass and less highs, with Auteur pads there is less bass and more highs and air. Quite a big difference with just 2 min pad change. Not sure which ones I prefer :)
They are much more heavy than the denons or ethers, but ok for me I guess.
Anyway they are good enough to to give them much more time to evaluate, try with otl amp etc.
I was looking for a linear but musical headphones and I think they will be exactly that:)
And I love the wood :) 20200121_095834.jpg

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #7,632 of 9,716
Apologies if this has been answered before, but can someone recommend a mid-tier tube amp for the Eikon that fulfils the following criteria:

1. Is detailed and precise sounding. I would like to avoid anything overly warm or smooth.
2. Doesn't occupy too much space.
3. Available in the EU.
4. Up to around 800 euros.
5. Not too fussed about balanced output, but would prefer balanced input as I find it's much quieter.
7. Pairing with RME-Adi 2, incidentally.

Something like the Espressivo Mark II looks good, though ideally a bit smaller. Otherwise, looking at Valhalla 2.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #7,633 of 9,716
Apologies if this has been answered before, but can someone recommend a mid-tier tube amp for the Eikon that fulfils the following criteria:

1. Is detailed and precise sounding. I would like to avoid anything overly warm or smooth.
2. Doesn't occupy too much space.
3. Available in the EU.
4. Up to around 800 euros.
5. Not too fussed about balanced output, but would prefer balanced input as I find it's much quieter.
7. Pairing with RME-Adi 2, incidentally.

Something like the Espressivo Mark II looks good, though ideally a bit smaller. Otherwise, looking at Valhalla 2.

Many thanks!
Lyr 3.

It has the impact, detail and extension on both ends and it was one of the better amps I've paired my Eikon with.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #7,634 of 9,716
I think we need a better definition of what you mean by "mid-tier"

<edit>, disregard. I failed to read your post in full. I'm baaaad. </edit>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back