ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 5, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #6,931 of 9,711
I can only give you my first impressions: the Eikon arrived yesterday afternoon.
My system is slightly different from your 28.38. I don't say worse or better, just a little different
My dac is an R2R1 that I use in NOS mode, while your internal dac I believe is based on a Sabre Chip.
I think the amp is the same for both.
Anyway, imho, great dynamics (music is dynamic, not only but it is), great detail, no harshness at all.
In my opinion an excellent engine for the splendid Eikon, as I am sure it is the 28.38!

Lester Bowie and his trumpet are here with me!

Lu

Very interesting system. I run my Eikon (all headphones) off either an Audio GD DAC-19 (secondary, headphone-only system); or AGD NOS 19 (main system, headphones & speakers+sub). NOS is my favorite digital sound.

What do you hear from your R2R1?

That's the DAC I am so tempted to upgrade to based on its FGPA section.

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #6,932 of 9,711
3UcHJac.jpg

I'm kidding of course! I understand these things take time and I want Zach to take all the time he needs to make the best product possible. I'm just so excited!

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #6,933 of 9,711
3UcHJac.jpg

I'm kidding of course! I understand these things take time and I want Zach to take all the time he needs to make the best product possible. I'm just so excited!
LOL

Aneurysm in three... two... one...

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #6,934 of 9,711
Very interesting system. I run my Eikon (all headphones) off either an Audio GD DAC-19 (secondary, headphone-only system); or AGD NOS 19 (main system, headphones & speakers+sub). NOS is my favorite digital sound.

What do you hear from your R2R1?

That's the DAC I am so tempted to upgrade to based on its FGPA section.

The R2R1 is the previous version of the current R1 that AudioGD produces,
I purchased it from the Dutch AudioGD dealer.
Soon I will send my R2R1 to them to let me upgrade to the R1 version. The upgrade consists of a new FPGA version and the possibility of switching between the 4 NOS modes directly from the front buttons, without having to use internal jumpers. He also has the possibility of working in OS.
Before this I had a Metrum Octave for several years. A great dac nos.
The AudioGD is definitely better. It has certainly more dynamic than the Octave. With the R2R1 I also gained a bit of clarity, the Octave was a bit dark, a little "soft".
I read wonderful reviews of the AudioGD R7. Maybe one day ...

Lu

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #6,935 of 9,711
I know this has been said many times, but for the people who do not like to read through a long thread, I will say it again. :)

For the people considering an OTL amp, and I think OTL amps are a great match for the Atticus & Eikon or any ZMF for that matter.
You really can not go wrong with an amp from Glenn... the tube rolling options are probably the most of any OTL amp,but it is not necessary to roll tubes.
The wait time can be a little painful, but if you have an amp to hold you over it is so much worth the wait.

Glenns amps play nice with ZMF headphones. Earlier this week I was listening to my Atticus with about the cheapest tubes that I have in my OTL amp
and the Atty sings like a Nightingale. The cheapest version of the OTL has the same sound as the most expensive version...just less options.

The GEL3N amp is another wonderful option.

I believe any of Glenns amps and any of Zach's headphones will match up pretty darn nice.

DSC02604.JPG DSC02605.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #6,936 of 9,711
Woo WA2 pairs beautifully with the Atticus.

I'm interested in this pairing. Do you personally use the WA2 with your Atticus? I'm trying to decide between the entry level Feliks OTL ($679) and Woo WA2 OTL ($599). I demoed the Atticus on a higher end Feliks OTL and it was fantastic, so I'm curious how the WA2 would stack up. Any details you can provide would be great.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #6,937 of 9,711
3UcHJac.jpg

As anyone who saw David Cronenberg's SCANNERS can attest, the real problem w/this "protruding head veins" thing is the risk of spontaneous head detonation (a real bitch to clean up).

Worse yet, if one were wearing headphones at the time of detonation, they might well be damaged.

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #6,938 of 9,711
I'm interested in this pairing. Do you personally use the WA2 with your Atticus? I'm trying to decide between the entry level Feliks OTL ($679) and Woo WA2 OTL ($599). I demoed the Atticus on a higher end Feliks OTL and it was fantastic, so I'm curious how the WA2 would stack up. Any details you can provide would be great.

Somewhat confusing post. List price of the WA3 (which I have) is $599. List price of WA2 is $1,199. The latter is bigger, more powerful/more tubes, and said to sound extremely good.

The WA3 sounds great w/any high impedance HP in my experience. Haven't heard Atticus on it, but have heard the Aeolus, HD650, and Eikon, all showing subtle but very worthwhile sonic upgrades over even really good/strong SS amps. And BTW, the WA3 has plenty of power for any headphone I have (tho I admit to not having tried the Ori, a real power-hog...that might be the exception).

I have a WA22, also. May sell that eventually. If that happens, I may give in to the temptation to also sell the WA3 and upgrade to the WA2, about which I hear nothing but good things.
  • Or maybe I'll just get counseling and stop obsessing over new audio gear I really don't need (nah!)

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #6,939 of 9,711
Somewhat confusing post. List price of the WA3 (which I have) is $599. List price of WA2 is $1,199. The latter is bigger, more powerful/more tubes, and said to sound extremely good.

The WA3 sounds great w/any high impedance HP in my experience. Haven't heard Atticus on it, but have heard the Aeolus, HD650, and Eikon, all showing subtle but very worthwhile sonic upgrades over even really good/strong SS amps. And BTW, the WA3 has plenty of power for any headphone I have (tho I admit to not having tried the Ori, a real power-hog...that might be the exception).

I have a WA22, also. May sell that eventually. If that happens, I may give in to the temptation to also sell the WA3 and upgrade to the WA2, about which I hear nothing but good things.
  • Or maybe I'll just get counseling and stop obsessing over new audio gear I really don't need (nah!)

Sorry .. I did mean the W3 .. not W2. I'll probably have to take the 45" drive to the closest Woo dealer and demo the W3 with my Atticus. I also wrote Zach to ask his opinion on the Woo v. Feliks with the Atticus. The Feliks amps have gotten nothing but rave reviews and the one I used to demo the Atticus was superb, so I'm leaning in that direction .. but will wait until I can demo the Woo.

Thanks for response! .. and yes .. counseling (or medication) might be the only cure for audio-itis. :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #6,940 of 9,711
Sorry .. I did mean the W3 .. not W2. I'll probably have to take the 45" drive to the closest Woo dealer and demo the W3 with my Atticus. I also wrote Zach to ask his opinion on the Woo v. Feliks with the Atticus. The Feliks amps have gotten nothing but rave reviews and the one I used to demo the Atticus was superb, so I'm leaning in that direction .. but will wait until I can demo the Woo.

Thanks for response! .. and yes .. counseling (or medication) might be the only cure for audio-itis. :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #6,941 of 9,711

Just got a reply from Zach. He said "In my experience the Feliks stuff pairs better because of the sound sig their stuff imparts, the Woo tends to be warmer IMHO which can be too much for the Atticus at times."

Guess that answers the Feliks v. Woo question. :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #6,942 of 9,711
I know this has been said many times, but for the people who do not like to read through a long thread, I will say it again. :)

For the people considering an OTL amp, and I think OTL amps are a great match for the Atticus & Eikon or any ZMF for that matter.
You really can not go wrong with an amp from Glenn... the tube rolling options are probably the most of any OTL amp,but it is not necessary to roll tubes.
The wait time can be a little painful, but if you have an amp to hold you over it is so much worth the wait.

I believe any of Glenns amps and any of Zach's headphones will match up pretty darn nice.

I tried. We exchanged several emails over several weeks but he must have been too busy at the time. I could never get any traction and get in the queue. I am not bad mouthing him at all. I know this is more a passionate hobby for him than a full business, so I get it.

Glenn was very polite, his communications on this site are helpful and informative, and he makes wonderful amps (by all accounts) that he is proud of. No hard feelings and I may try again in the future. :smile_phones:

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #6,943 of 9,711
Just saw you meant the WA3. Yes, the WA2 is $1,200, and it's a rather warm amp, although that also depend on the tubes. I use Japanese tubes for preamp and French tubes for the rest, which gives a more neutral sound. The Atticus is still warm. I'd assume, it would be pretty close with the WA3.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6,944 of 9,711
Just saw you meant the WA3. Yes, the WA2 is $1,200, and it's a rather warm amp, although that also depend on the tubes. I use Japanese tubes for preamp and French tubes for the rest, which gives a more neutral sound. The Atticus is still warm. I'd assume, it would be pretty close with the WA3.[/QUOTE
I’ve ordered some “brighter” Electro-Harmonix tubes for my Mjolnir amp but I have a feeling it still won’t cut it with the Atticus so there’s a good chance I’ll swing by the North American Feliks amp dealer next week and get the Echo OTL which Zach thinks is a good match. Arghhhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back