ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #6,706 of 9,714
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #6,707 of 9,714
I noticed several Eikon for sale here. Since they have not been available for very long you wonder if there is something wrong with that model.

I seriously doubt that, especially given the praise and popularity of that model. There are a lot of FOTM types that will buy and sell every new hot item that comes out. In my experience, many are never quite content with what they have, always chasing something else that could possibly bring them nirvana.

The Eikon was/is very popular and sold very well, not surprising it has a healthy used market (It came out just over two years ago). Used HD800s show up a couple times a week but I don't think anyone assumes the headphone has a problem.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #6,708 of 9,714
All the current ZMF's have this type hard-ware as stock:

We can do the magnesium upon request as well - but it's a bit more expensive. We can also do brass or brushed aluminum rods.

We retired the older chunkier chassis with the more "square" look.

How much extra is Eikon with black magnesium chassis? Is there going to be a different wood available soon?

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #6,709 of 9,714
How much extra is Eikon with black magnesium chassis? Is there going to be a different wood available soon?
I don't believe there is a black magnesium, but i could be wrong. I thing magnesium comes in the normal greyish silver color. . .

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #6,710 of 9,714
I don't believe there is a black magnesium, but i could be wrong. I thing magnesium comes in the normal greyish silver color. . .

Magnesium chassis comes in Black and Charcoal Bronze (which is the grey/silver).

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #6,711 of 9,714

We will be releasing a new LTD wood around CanJam - it should be on the site in a week or so! The magnesium Chassis can be added to any headphone - if you don't see it as an option on the headphone you're ordering and want it - send us an email or leave a note at checkout and we can add it. The magnesium Chassis is a $250 upgrade.

We do have both black and the "Charcoal Bronze" colors available in the magnesium. For Aluminum it's just black.

Black Magnesium

_DSC1769.JPG

Charcoal Bronze Magnesium

_DSC1681-2.JPG

No pics with the other models yet, a few orders were made for Aeolus with Magnesium.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #6,712 of 9,714
I love the black magnesium! Thanks for the pics and info!

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #6,713 of 9,714
It's still my favorite zmf headphone. Not a darn thing wrong with it. Verite is a ridiculously close second.

I have a feeling people are selling theirs so they can upgrade/purchase the verite. Same kind of thing happened when the Auteur came out. Worked out well for a few friends of mine who scored used Atticus/Eikons for good prices.

Verite comes in second behind the Eikon? That's an interesting comment.

My favorite ZMF headphone is the Ori. But the Eikon is extremely impressive in other ways. First one is impressed by the size & heft of it, then the gorgeous wood (big earcups = big stage for wood to strut its stuff), then the arresting sound, so dynamic & impactful w/big headstage. The Eikon is a real thrill ride.

One of the reasons I need to hear the Verite is to compare its voicing to the Ori & Eikon, which IMO represent 2 poles of the ZMF sound: from warm/euphonic/ear-friendly to slightly-warm/accurate/slamming sound.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #6,714 of 9,714
Looking forward to checking the Eikon and Atticus out at the NYC CanJam in a couple weeks (will Zach be there?). I'm essentially after a closed/semi-closed upgrade for my E-MU Teaks, something with a similar same bass/mid-bass punch but a bit more resolving, a bit smoother/warmer, and a bit wider soundstage (via my Woo WA7). The Atticus look to be it based on FR, but I've still not ruled out the Eikons. Anyone else gone from Fostex TR-X00 or Teaks to Atticus or Eikon?

I had mahogany TX-00s ~3 yrs ago & sold them due to tiring, grainy treble. But that was the 1st time I heard real-sub bass, which the TX-00 has in spades.

~2 years ago I got the E-MU Teaks and found them to be sonic cousin to the TX-00, but IMO a real upgrade in every way that matters. Far more ear-friendly, pleasing sonic profile...a little less sub-bass and a little more mid-bass. A slightly warm, organic, bouncy sound. I would still own the Teaks if not for those uncomfortable earpads. Another Head-Fi'er and I tested a bunch of earpad alternatives and found just about every one increased comfort but degraded that good sound.

I ended up getting a padauk Eikon last year, and IMO it wipes the floor w/either Fostex. But it really should: it's bigger,much prettier, more expensive, and IMO way more thought-out/planned as a sonic profile. I regard it as a major upgrade to the Teaks: slightly warm but more resolving & accurate, even more sub-bass plus way more slam, dynamics & epic soundstaging. The Eikon plays very nicely w/SS amps, but also gives interesting sonic perspective on an OTL.

Recently heard my friend's Aeolus. Now there's a fascinating headphone. It's clearly on the warm side with a very cushy, expansive sound. If the X2s and the Teaks has a baby, it would be named "Aeolus" -- but physically it's more solid, handsome & impressive than either.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #6,715 of 9,714
~2 years ago I got the E-MU Teaks and found them to be sonic cousin to the TX-00, but IMO a real upgrade in every way that matters. Far more ear-friendly, pleasing sonic profile...a little less sub-bass and a little more mid-bass. A slightly warm, organic, bouncy sound. I would still own the Teaks if not for those uncomfortable earpads. Another Head-Fi'er and I tested a bunch of earpad alternatives and found just about every one increased comfort but degraded that good sound.

I ended up getting a padauk Eikon last year, and IMO it wipes the floor w/either Fostex. But it really should: it's bigger,much prettier, more expensive, and IMO way more thought-out/planned as a sonic profile. I regard it as a major upgrade to the Teaks: slightly warm but more resolving & accurate, even more sub-bass plus way more slam, dynamics & epic soundstaging. The Eikon plays very nicely w/SS amps, but also gives interesting sonic perspective on an OTL.

Thanks for the insight. One reservation I have with the Eikon vs the Atticus is the mid-bass, which is one of the things I love about the Teaks -- they bring alive rock music that was mastered on the lean side and add that extra bit of slam to EDM. Did you find yourself missing any mid-bass with the Eikons? Also curious about the comfort of the Eikons, especially the overall weight for longer (multi-hour) listening. I've never found the Teaks too uncomfortable, but it would be nice to have a little bit more space for my big ears.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #6,716 of 9,714
The Eikons have plenty of bass and don't appear to lack anything so far as I can tell. Comfort is spot-on too. There is a bit of weight to them but the headband's comfortable and you don't really notice.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #6,717 of 9,714
Have to agree with @Pharmaboy here. I got the TH-X00 Mahogany 6 months ago and sold 'em within 1 week. I couldn't keep up with that treble. The bass was definitely better than my then DT770 Pro 80Ohms - more quantity which made it feel like they extended more than DT770s but that treble just killed my ears - vocals are alright! A week ago I got my Eikons and I found my office endgames (yes truly my true office endgame headphones, gosh!!). Regarding the weight, they distribute it better than Audezes - my only comparison was LCD-2C. And surprisingly comfortable after adjusting the headband. Also I drive around with my 1.65kg motorcycle helmet on pretty much everyday so take my words with a grain of salt.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #6,718 of 9,714
Thanks for the insight. One reservation I have with the Eikon vs the Atticus is the mid-bass, which is one of the things I love about the Teaks -- they bring alive rock music that was mastered on the lean side and add that extra bit of slam to EDM. Did you find yourself missing any mid-bass with the Eikons? Also curious about the comfort of the Eikons, especially the overall weight for longer (multi-hour) listening. I've never found the Teaks too uncomfortable, but it would be nice to have a little bit more space for my big ears.

The Atticus bass lift is centered in the mid bass while the Eikon bass lift is in the sub bass. The Atticus is my favorite headphone for metal while the Eikon is one of the best headphones I've used for electronic, which really benefits from good sub bass.

While I prefer the Atticus for metal, the Eikon is very good in this regard too. They both have plenty of bass to go around.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #6,719 of 9,714

It's true the Eikon is voiced to be relatively flat through the entire bass range...but that entire bass range goes so deep and hits so hard with such accurate timbre that simple frequency comps almost miss the point. So no, I never missed any mid-bass...there's so much else to pay attention to on this HP.

Not to mention, perched just above that entire bass range is one of the biggest, most detailed midranges I've ever heard (considerably bigger/better than the Teaks)...and it seems unaffected by all that quality bass. IMO the Eikon is a rather different headphone concept vs the Teak: physically largee w/an accordingly larger-scale, more nuanced sonic profile.
  • Just read a very descriptive post in the Verite thread...it touches on "The Eikon Effect" (emphasis mine):
"I brought the Eikon with me on a trip...6 hour flight, and yeah, it was a quiet flight in terms of engine noise and crying babies, but I had a whole concert in my ears the whole time"

(that says it all)

I personally find the Eikon to be very comfortable. The pads are plush w/large (~105-110mm) external diameter, as befits the large earcups. It's a heavy headphone, but I find it sits more easily/squarely on my head than the equally heavy LCDs. I admit to being unaffected by weight of headphones in general--no matter how huge/heavy they are, I never get a stiff neck or any of that (just lucky, I guess). But it's important to note that when a headphone is large and relatively heavy, as the Eikon is, and yet is also physically comfortable and centered-feeling, the weight is less perceived than it otherwise would be.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #6,720 of 9,714
I definitely don't miss any bass with my Eikons...it has plenty of heft in the mid bass. I'm constantly wowed by it...I'd be surprised if there were a lot of people that would think there's not enough.

I totally understand some people prefer the Atty...it is a different presentation to be sure. I never disliked it, I just prefer the Eikon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back