ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #6,692 of 9,714
I noticed several Eikon for sale here. Since they have not been available for very long you wonder if there is something wrong with that model.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #6,693 of 9,714
I noticed several Eikon for sale here. Since they have not been available for very long you wonder if there is something wrong with that model

You can rest assured that there is nothing wrong with the ZMF Eikon...it is a great headphone.
It may just not be for some people, or may not fit the rest of their gear.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #6,694 of 9,714
I noticed several Eikon for sale here. Since they have not been available for very long you wonder if there is something wrong with that model.
It's still my favorite zmf headphone. Not a darn thing wrong with it. Verite is a ridiculously close second.

I have a feeling people are selling theirs so they can upgrade/purchase the verite. Same kind of thing happened when the Auteur came out. Worked out well for a few friends of mine who scored used Atticus/Eikons for good prices.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #6,695 of 9,714
I second that. Selling to get new Models of ZMF. For me Eikon is my go to for jazz. I want each instrument to come across the way it should. And layered well.

And the sub bass is very special for all other types if music. The Eikon I have kept but it was my gateway to other ZMF headphones.

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #6,697 of 9,714
Looking forward to Uncle Monty's comparison.
Between the XCs and the Eikons?
The XCs are like standing under a waterfall - an intense, full-on experience with a wide soundstage but not one you can take for too long - whereas the Eikons are like standing under a warm shower - less intense, more closed-in but somewhere you can spend a lot of time. The Eikons initially seem a bit disappointing but they're not. They're better and the longer you listen to them the better they become. Going back to the XCs is a shock. At first you're blown away by their full-on assault but the shrill highs soon begin to grate and before long you need an aspirin. If there is a DIY method to taming these highs I'd like to hear it because in almost every other way the XCs are fantastic phones. They have more bass and more space than the Eikons. However, the ZMFs win the day by being very good at everything and lacking any overbearing characteristics that could spoil the enjoyment. They also isolate much better than the XCs - my wife hasn't once complained, even when I've turned the volume up to 11 - despite them having vents on the cups (are the vents open?). I put the new Dekoni pads on the XCs hoping to stem the leakage but they don't do much better than the standard pads. That said, much of the escaping sound seems to be coming through the wooden ear cup - if you hold the pads together, completely sealing the insides of the cups, noise does come through the backs. Removing the wooden cups reveals some spongy material that doesn't look like it will absorb much and I wonder if I could beef this up with some foam or similar. Also, a foam or rubber gasket under the wooden cup might help but would have to be very thin. I wonder if some of the sound comes directly through the four screws - any ideas? I would, therefore, definitely choose the Eikons over the XCs which would benefit from a bit of a redesign. The Eikons are sweet, detailed and seem to work with a broad spectrum of music.

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #6,698 of 9,714
Can we purchase an Atticus with the fancy black hardware used for the newer model ZMF headphones?

All the current ZMF's have this type hard-ware as stock:
_DSC1022sm.jpg _DSC1030sm.jpg

We can do the magnesium upon request as well - but it's a bit more expensive. We can also do brass or brushed aluminum rods.

We retired the older chunkier chassis with the more "square" look.

IMG_5560sm.png

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 3, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #6,699 of 9,714
All the current ZMF's have this type hard-ware as stock:

We can do the magnesium upon request as well - but it's a bit more expensive. We can also do brass or brushed aluminum rods.

We retired the older chunkier chassis with the more "square" look.

I just updated my Eikon chassis/hard-ware from the old version to the new version. I like the look better, seems lighter, and feels less chunky when wearing.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #6,700 of 9,714
Between the XCs and the Eikons?
The XCs are like standing under a waterfall - an intense, full-on experience with a wide soundstage but not one you can take for too long - whereas the Eikons are like standing under a warm shower - less intense, more closed-in but somewhere you can spend a lot of time. The Eikons initially seem a bit disappointing but they're not. They're better and the longer you listen to them the better they become. Going back to the XCs is a shock. At first you're blown away by their full-on assault but the shrill highs soon begin to grate and before long you need an aspirin. If there is a DIY method to taming these highs I'd like to hear it because in almost every other way the XCs are fantastic phones. They have more bass and more space than the Eikons. However, the ZMFs win the day by being very good at everything and lacking any overbearing characteristics that could spoil the enjoyment. They also isolate much better than the XCs - my wife hasn't once complained, even when I've turned the volume up to 11 - despite them having vents on the cups (are the vents open?). I put the new Dekoni pads on the XCs hoping to stem the leakage but they don't do much better than the standard pads. That said, much of the escaping sound seems to be coming through the wooden ear cup - if you hold the pads together, completely sealing the insides of the cups, noise does come through the backs. Removing the wooden cups reveals some spongy material that doesn't look like it will absorb much and I wonder if I could beef this up with some foam or similar. Also, a foam or rubber gasket under the wooden cup might help but would have to be very thin. I wonder if some of the sound comes directly through the four screws - any ideas? I would, therefore, definitely choose the Eikons over the XCs which would benefit from a bit of a redesign. The Eikons are sweet, detailed and seem to work with a broad spectrum of music.
IIRC Zach has said the Eikon is about 90% closed give or take. I wouldn't trade mine even though I've thought about it (for finding other things [*cough* Verite *cough*]) It ticks all the boxes for me.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #6,701 of 9,714
Looking forward to checking the Eikon and Atticus out at the NYC CanJam in a couple weeks (will Zach be there?). I'm essentially after a closed/semi-closed upgrade for my E-MU Teaks, something with a similar same bass/mid-bass punch but a bit more resolving, a bit smoother/warmer, and a bit wider soundstage (via my Woo WA7). The Atticus look to be it based on FR, but I've still not ruled out the Eikons. Anyone else gone from Fostex TR-X00 or Teaks to Atticus or Eikon?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #6,702 of 9,714
IIRC Zach has said the Eikon is about 90% closed give or take. I wouldn't trade mine even though I've thought about it (for finding other things [*cough* Verite *cough*]) It ticks all the boxes for me.
Think he said 97% in article I read somewhere - probably about right; it hardly leaks at all, which is brilliant.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #6,703 of 9,714
Pretty sure it was 93.45217638226363% closed.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #6,705 of 9,714
Looking forward to checking the Eikon and Atticus out at the NYC CanJam in a couple weeks (will Zach be there?). I'm essentially after a closed/semi-closed upgrade for my E-MU Teaks, something with a similar same bass/mid-bass punch but a bit more resolving, a bit smoother/warmer, and a bit wider soundstage (via my Woo WA7). The Atticus look to be it based on FR, but I've still not ruled out the Eikons. Anyone else gone from Fostex TR-X00 or Teaks to Atticus or Eikon?
If I'm not mistaken it's always Zach (and his lovely bride Bevan) at the shows. He's a wonderful man to chat with....when he has the time.
Enjoy CanJam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back