ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #5,746 of 9,748
DACs are the most flavor-of-the-month-prone of audio equipment, mainly because very few people really understand the technology. IME some of the best DACs ever made are 90s and early 00s vintage. (My 20yo Audio Note DAC3 is one of the best DACs I’ve ever heard.)

Dunc

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #5,747 of 9,748
Just a continuing shout out for the Atticus/WA2 combo. Totally euphonic. Sweet. Probably a little too lush for some though. Yet still detailed enough and punchy. Full-bodied, satisfying, and non-fatiguing.

Also a continuing shout out for Kennerton headphones. I love them so much I own two pairs of the Odin's, and two pairs of the Vali's. Very underrated indeed. I can see people who like ZMF headphones liking Kennerton as well, in that they both put a high priority on build quality/craftsmanship, and most important, musicality. Satisfying listenability in the long run. I've never had anything better. Even traded my Focal Utopia for another pair of Kennerton's. ZMF and Kennerton is where it's at for me.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #5,750 of 9,748
Just a continuing shout out for the Atticus/WA2 combo. Totally euphonic. Sweet. Probably a little too lush for some though. Yet still detailed enough and punchy. Full-bodied, satisfying, and non-fatiguing.

Also a continuing shout out for Kennerton headphones. I love them so much I own two pairs of the Odin's, and two pairs of the Vali's. Very underrated indeed. I can see people who like ZMF headphones liking Kennerton as well, in that they both put a high priority on build quality/craftsmanship, and most important, musicality. Satisfying listenability in the long run. I've never had anything better. Even traded my Focal Utopia for another pair of Kennerton's. ZMF and Kennerton is where it's at for me.

Both my wife and me have our own odins before auditioning for closed cans. During auditioning, only the atticus hits the spot for her and she owns the padauk. Now i'm on the way to have my own zebra.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #5,751 of 9,748
Despite not being my top choice for EDM or gaming, the Atticus overall is my favorite headphone I've ever used. Any real instrument (acoustic or electric) sounds incredible. The darkness is surprisingly detailed. Crank up it up a few db from 20-60 hz and it's perfection (the sub bass technical ability is there, so I am wondering why it was rolled off).

Seriously, this headphone rocks. Lucky is the person who snatched up the $800 dollar one that was on B stock.

Unfortunately my right driver failed after a few weeks so it's back for repairs now. Fingers crossed.

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #5,752 of 9,748
Unfortunately my right driver failed after a few weeks so it's back for repairs now. Fingers crossed.

I had a driver fail on mine as well.Dont worry,Zach's customer service is second to none.

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #5,753 of 9,748
any chance you've run the atticus from the Jot or Valhalla 2? I'd be curious to know when the Atticus likes better between the three ...

I'll give it a go with my "revised" Jot and report back.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #5,754 of 9,748
If anyone is looking to give their headphones a little extra shine, I highly recommended polishing them with wood wax. It’s a fairly simple process that I did for all my headphones. The wax can be applied every couple months to keep the wood looking like new. The color contrasts and grain really pop out

20180414_133211_HDR.jpg 20180414_140222_HDR.jpg 20180414_140342_HDR.jpg20180414_140435_HDR (1).jpg

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #5,757 of 9,748
@BaseRobber , any particular brand of wood wax do you recommend?

Only one I’ve tried is Howard Feed-N-Wax, which is a combination of beeswax and orange oil. It’s the highest rated wood care kit on Amazon. I used it with a soft microfiber cloth that’s similar in texture to eye glass cloths. I’m also interested in seeing how wax affects barnyard cherry or rusted zebrawood

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW001...=UTF8&qid=1523815903&sr=8-3&keywords=Wood+wax

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #5,759 of 9,748
Well, even though the Magni3 has more power...the R2R-11 kicks the snot out of the Mimby/Magni3 combo. Feels more clear and authoritative.

Okay, it's only a small difference but for audiophiles small differences are big differences.

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #5,760 of 9,748
Well, even though the Magni3 has more power...the R2R-11 kicks the snot out of the Mimby/Magni3 combo. Feels more clear and authoritative.

Okay, it's only a small difference but for audiophiles small differences are big differences.
R2R-11 has the best synergy of any amp/dac I’ve heard with the Atticus or LCD-3 so far. So far... I certainly don’t think there’s anything under $800 that comes close. Once you’re at 800 and up there’s plenty of juicy options I’d like to try, but I still reckon the R2R will hold its own in that company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back