ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #5,491 of 9,748
How does atticus fair when it comes to poor recorded music? Does the coloration make things like mediocre edm tracks sound better than, say the eikon (witch is more revealing) ?

The treble extension on the Atticus is pretty good and more than the 650s so some songs like treble boosted trap (Isaiah Rashad, Travis Scott) tend to be a little hard to listen to but not by much. With the Eikon pads the sibilance goes up a bit more but I have a bit of tolerance for that stuff.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #5,492 of 9,748
Personally, I think so. The Eikon does have a beautiful tonality that I do like. But its excellent detail retrieval makes it not as forgiving as the Atticus on less well-recorded material. (For my tastes, I do appreciate the Eikon for well-recorded acoustic/Classical).

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #5,493 of 9,748
That is great to hear! There is so many high end headphones out there that make me never listen to songs i originaly love on my iem's. They're just eating up parts of my library alive, especally when it comes to edm (looking at you, z1r). If atticus is more forgiving with it's beautiful coloration, that is a very solid selling point to me.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #5,494 of 9,748
I've been lurking on head-fi for years, but with my recent purchase, i decide it was time to register.

Just received my Atticus 4 days ago, which i bought to complement my HD800 and HD650.
I've been using the HD800 almost exclusive for about 8 or 9 years now, but since 90% of the music i listen to is metal, I decided it was time to look for cans with more bass (don't know why i haven't done that before now)
At first i wasn't sure what to think , but after some pink noise running for a few days, i'm loving the sound. It's still early, but i don't miss the HD800 on my head at all.

The comfort and built quality are top notch, gotta give it to Zach for the craftmanship (even though he forgot to ship my added OFC cable :yum:)

And now I find myself being really interested in the Auteur as well. From what i've read in the metal thread, it sounds like i need to look into those.

And i should also thank the Danish customs, who only valued the headphones to 150$, so i ended up saving more than 300$ in import tax:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #5,495 of 9,748
I've been lurking on head-fi for years, but with my recent purchase, i decide it was time to register.

Just received some Atticus 4 days ago, which i bought to complement my HD800 and HD650.
I've been using the HD800 almost exclusive for about 8 or 9 years now, but since 90% of the music i listen to is metal, I decided it was time to look for cans with more bass (don't know why i haven't done that before now)
At first i wasn't sure what to think , but after some pink noise running for a few days, i'm loving the sound. It's still early, but i don't miss the HD800 on my head at all.

The comfort and built quality are top notch, gotta give it to Zach for the craftmanship (even though he forgot to ship my added OFC cable :yum:)

And now I find myself being really interested in the Auteur as well. From what i've read in the metal thread, it sounds like i need to look into those.

And i should also thank the Danish customs, who only valued the headphones to 150$, so i ended up saving more than 300$ in import tax:thumbsup:
Lol they were probably like how high do headphones go for in price 150 ? Right ? Yaaa

Ps im interested in how much the cable will be valued at

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,496 of 9,748

Just received some Atticus 4 days ago, which i bought to complement my HD800 and HD650.

Intresting, how do you like atticus for metal? If yes, what type of metal do you enjoy on them? I imagine the full bodied low mids makes some songs sound amazing.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #5,497 of 9,748
Lol they were probably like how high do headphones go for in price 150 ? Right ? Yaaa

Ps im interested in how much the cable will be valued at

I just assumed they could find the real price somehow, so I was really surprised. I already put money aside to pay the full tax, so it felt like winning the lottery.

I hope they decide the cable is below the tax limit, but i'll just have to wait and see. If only i knew if a second pair of headphones could pass like that as well, then I would be more inclined to pull the trigger on a pair of Auteur as well.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #5,498 of 9,748
Intresting, how do you like atticus for metal? If yes, what type of metal do you enjoy on them? I imagine the full bodied low mids makes some songs sound amazing.

Love them for metal. I didn't know what i was missing having only used the HD800 for years, so it's like new life to my metal collection.
I listen to thrash/melodic death/progressive mostly (Metallica, Lamb of God, Gojira, Amon Amarth, Tool, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Kreator, Dream Theater and stuff like that)

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #5,499 of 9,748
Love them for metal. I didn't know what i was missing having only used the HD800 for years, so it's like new life to my metal collection.
I listen to thrash/melodic death/progressive mostly (Metallica, Lamb of God, Gojira, Amon Amarth, Tool, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Kreator, Dream Theater and stuff like that)

Auteur is awesome with all of the above! I have not heard the Atticus unfortunately but it's reputation as a metal headphone seems to be well established.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #5,501 of 9,748
I have not heard the Atticus unfortunately but it's reputation as a metal headphone seems to be well established.

Most definitely.
Little known fact:Zach had Lemmy give him feedback on The Atticus before settling on the final sound sig.

No,he didnt,but makes for a cool story.:L3000:

I will be doing a review on The Atticus on my YouTube channel,with a strong focus on metal music,as usual.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5,502 of 9,748
Very nice, can’t wait to try them out of my mjolnir 2! What amp are you using them with? Hd 800 isn’t appropriete for metal, as it is too cold/analytical, and don’t have enough bass impact.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5,503 of 9,748
Very nice, can’t wait to try them out of my mjolnir 2! What amp are you using them with? Hd 800 isn’t appropriete for metal, as it is too cold/analytical, and don’t have enough bass impact.

I'm using a Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition Dac/Headamp combo. It's been out of production for a few years now, and the successor models is being made under a new company name - Vinnie Rossi.

Yeah HD800 is not ideal, even if i was using EQ. But i kinda enjoyed the analytical aspect as well as the sound stage. It was just time for something new.

You got an Atticus on the way?

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #5,504 of 9,748
I'm using a Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition Dac/Headamp combo. It's been out of production for a few years now, and the successor models is being made under a new company name - Vinnie Rossi.

Yeah HD800 is not ideal, even if i was using EQ. But i kinda enjoyed the analytical aspect as well as the sound stage. It was just time for something new.

You got an Atticus on the way?
I can definetly understand that. i know some people really enjoy hd800s with metal, witch fixes the two shortcomings i mentioned.

Yes i do :) I feel they excel at the things i value most in a headphone (full bodied mids, huge bass impact, tastefully recessed but well extended treble, non fatiguing).

Mar 6, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #5,505 of 9,748
Im curious, any opinions on how the Eikon fares with prog rock/metal or power metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back