ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #5,476 of 9,763
The leather or suede Eikon pads?

I have the Eikon suede pads on my Atticus. I believe the Eikons come with the leather pads as stock? Perhaps thats why they sound as neutral as they've been described?

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #5,477 of 9,763
I have the Eikon suede pads on my Atticus. I believe the Eikons come with the leather pads as stock? Perhaps thats why they sound as neutral as they've been described?
I just got the suede Ori pads for my Atticus, now I want to try the Eikon Suede pads :p

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #5,478 of 9,763
I just got the suede Ori pads for my Atticus, now I want to try the Eikon Suede pads :p

Zach described those as more neutral across the spectrum. What I enjoy about the Eikon suede pads on the Atticus is the sense of air - I feel like the entire can, can breathe more and the treble gets some sparkle that sounds natural. This is what I feel most Eikon owners must feel and enjoy as well as really helping out the subbass and cleaning up the mid-bass which can encroach on the mids. The beauty of the suede pads is the forward mids stay forward without going overboard in any given direction - they maintain the timber of the Atticus which is lush without any downsides. They're totally worth their money - the only downside I'd have to say is they cut into the microdetail that I was getting used to hearing with the stock lambskin Ori pads of the Atticus. Put another way, the microdetail transfers to the lower regions and not the treble for some reason. Little scratches, adjustments, etc. aren't heard but you hear different detail because the Atticus becomes a bit more airy so it's pick your flavor.

I'm trying to bring back the micro-detail of the stock Ori pads by getting better amplification (just placed my order for the Dragon Inspire) and using neutral to bright Sylvania's. All this has gotten me super curious about the Eikon - that sense of air really helps out with things like Jazz and detail buried in the upper registers.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #5,479 of 9,763
You didn't find it too warm? I've heard the WA2 is the most warm and gooey sounding of the bunch.

Speaking of which, I like the Eikon pads so much and what they do to the Atticus that they've definently gotten me interested in the Eikons myself specifically for rap music. My main concern is for mid clarity. I like forward mids that are smooth and detailed. It seems like the Eikons are a home run for Hip-Hop except I've heard them described as neutral. That's my only dealbreaker - can anyone who listens to these genres with their Eikons chime in?

The WA2 can change it's sound by quite a lot depending on the tubes you use. Mostly I run really warm 6080WA GEC tubes, which are super lush. And you know what, they sound AMAZING with the Atticus. Dunno why, but they pair extremely well. I'm not the only one who's found this. Just look what @Hansotek wrote last year: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...dphones-from-zmf.821782/page-88#post-13102381

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #5,480 of 9,763
The WA2 can change it's sound by quite a lot depending on the tubes you use. Mostly I run really warm 6080WA GEC tubes, which are super lush. And you know what, they sound AMAZING with the Atticus. Dunno why, but they pair extremely well. I'm not the only one who's found this. Just look what @Hansotek wrote last year: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/att...dphones-from-zmf.821782/page-88#post-13102381

Hmm that's interesting. What did you find improved with those warm tubes? When I tried a pair of JJ Gold Pins I felt suffocated by the lack of air and glossing over of details. They did slightly help out with slam though.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #5,481 of 9,763
Hmm that's interesting. What did you find improved with those warm tubes? When I tried a pair of JJ Gold Pins I felt suffocated by the lack of air and glossing over of details. They did slightly help out with slam though.

You wouldn’t have that problem with the GECs he mentioned, those are are extremely airy. They cost a pretty penny though. Probably a good $400/pr.

I usually use a pair of GEC 6080s as well, or I’ll run a dual 6BL7/6BX7 to 6AS7 adaptor for each power tube slot. Lately, I’ve been running Atticus with four RCA 6BX7s.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #5,482 of 9,763
You wouldn’t have that problem with the GECs he mentioned, those are are extremely airy. They cost a pretty penny though. Probably a good $400/pr.

I usually use a pair of GEC 6080s as well, or I’ll run a dual 6BL7/6BX7 to 6AS7 adaptor for each power tube slot. Lately, I’ve been running Atticus with four RCA 6BX7s.

Yea, those GECs do have great air and soundstage. One of the main reasons I like them with the Atticus. Seems to really open them up!

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #5,483 of 9,763
Hey guys, one question and one observation.

First, anyone used/is using the Atticus with an Audio-GD NFB-28.38? I’m specifically looking at the 28.38 because it has different characteristics to the 28.28 and original 28. My concerns are purely synergy, and that it doesn’t detract from the slam and midrange purity of the Atticus.

Second, have just swapped out the stock Ori leather pads with the Ori suede (vegan) pads, and, wow! So much more air, the bass bloom is nicely tamed (it could get too much sometimes), no apparent loss in detail, and the sound just feels more ‘open’. Slam is still there - maybe even a touch more because the sub bass isn’t masked as much behind the mid bass hump. And as of now these are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn, bar none.

Seriously, if you haven’t tried them yet, do yourself a favour and do so. Best $60 or so you’re likely to spend improving an already outstanding headphone. You can always switch back to the leather for the extra boom and bang.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #5,484 of 9,763
I just wanna jump in here and comment on the pads. I was in the process of packing/moving/unpacking cross country for the last ~3 weeks, and so I was away from my headphones for a while (except my travel setup, Mojo+ER4XR). I got the Ori suede pads just before I moved for the Atticus, and I waited until I was settled to try to put them on. It took some wrangling to get them on but I did it. I was kinda hoping the process would be a little easier, but I also think some of my struggles were user-error.

First things first, man oh man it is SO good to have my headphones back! And I live in a place where I don't have to split my setups between living room (vinyl and good speakers, no headphones) and bedroom/office (good headphones, decent speakers in a corner, digital only). That's great.

The suede pads I don't think are coming off anytime soon. They do as people describe: tame the bass and bring out the treble a little. It doesn't change the character of the Atticus overall, just adds a little tilt in the 'right' direction (entirely subjective, some may prefer the darker/bassier tuning). Listening impressions are light and done out of a Magni 3, my Crack's inductor mounting solution didn't survive the move and I don't feel like just stuffing everything under the chassis and hoping nothing's crossed/shorted when I turn it on like I usually do, so I'm going to bring it into the lab I work in now one of these days and try to do a better job with tapped metal standoffs. On another unrelated note, the only thing stopping me from ordering a ZMF Classic for my office is the lack of a proper amplifier. I have considered a Vali 2 at home as a backup amp to the Crack, then taking the Magni 3 into the office with me to power some Classics.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #5,485 of 9,763
With about 20 hours on the tube, the MCTH + Atticus combo is the real deal. For $250 it is a no-brainer purchase if one is looking for synergy.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #5,486 of 9,763
Thanks for all the input. I was thinking of getting some RCA Black Plates myself.

So, to anyone who owns the Eikon can anyone describe the Eikons mids to me? Are they similar to the 650s in tonality? Can tube rolling bring them to some of the mid-forwardness of either the Atticus or 650s?

Mar 5, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #5,487 of 9,763
I know some people really like the Eikon--I can understand the appeal-- but it's too problematic for me. Essentially, to my ears, there is a kind of presence suck-out that, although more linear and sub-bass capable, paradoxically makes it sound too thin, even tinny. (Stretched too wide?) At its worst, like a transistor radio. And alas, the top end is too sharp for my ears. The overall presentation is not tonally 'thick' enough. But in case anyone thinks I'm a ZMF hater, I'm not-- I love the Atticus, and really like the Ori. I might even get second pairs of both (does anyone want to trade their Atticus or Ori for a Padauk Eikon in excellent shape? PM me). That said, I do love how the Eikon renders Classical/Opera female voices. Something about that bio-cellulose driver that remains, well, more organic than many alternative materials...

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #5,488 of 9,763
With about 20 hours on the tube, the MCTH + Atticus combo is the real deal. For $250 it is a no-brainer purchase if one is looking for synergy.

I totally agree. Synergy between the two is absolutely phenomenal.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5,489 of 9,763
Thanks for all the input. I was thinking of getting some RCA Black Plates myself.

So, to anyone who owns the Eikon can anyone describe the Eikons mids to me? Are they similar to the 650s in tonality? Can tube rolling bring them to some of the mid-forwardness of either the Atticus or 650s?

Tubes can bring the mids further forward on the Eikon, but based on your last couple of posts here, I think you might prefer the Auteur. Because it’s an open back, it has a more feathery natural midrange like the Atticus and HD650. Eikon and Auteur are both great headphones, I just get the feeling that Auteur is the one you’re truly looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back