ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 30, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,023 of 9,721
Damn, and I was almost convinced varnish looked better, Thore were really great looking!
Me too ,
At first I selected varnish,
But then switched to laquer as I took an educated guess of maybe a thicker seal on the wood.
Here is closer pic:
20170626_164940.jpg
:)
20170626_164819.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #4,025 of 9,721
Hmm, I'm getting very interested in both of these cans.
What I would like to know is the reasons people are selling them.
Where did they not meet your expectations? What closed cans did you like better?
Could give me an indication if I will like these better than other closed cans of which I had quite a few.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #4,026 of 9,721
Where did they not meet your expectations? What closed cans did you like better?
Could give me an indication if I will like these better than other closed cans of which I had quite a few.
Their faults imho:
• headband asymmetry
• potentially their weight for some users
• earpad seal depending on head shape/size
• the headband sliders(?)

I'm being hyper critical of them though. I don't think the majority of folks will notice the first or third point. I really enjoyed the weight distribution, clamp, SQ, signature, isolation, staging, connectors, etc. The sliders worked fine for me, but I think most folks like predetermined spacing with indents.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #4,027 of 9,721
Thank you for the info. None of that worries me too much though. I'm the kind that prefers heavy cans with a snug fit to loose featherweights.
It's more why people would be selling them for sonical reasons hat I'm interested in and that will tell if these can be keepers for me.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #4,028 of 9,721
Thank you for the info. None of that worries me too much though. I'm the kind that prefers heavy cans with a snug fit to loose featherweights.
It's more why people would be selling them for sonical reasons hat I'm interested in and that will tell if these can be keepers for me.

There's only one way to find out. Try it out for yourself. Which is what I am going to do. I have already placed my order for a cherry Eikon.

I heard the Audeze LCD2.2 for the first time on Sunday when auditioning for Ragnarok and I was very impressed with the LCD2.2. If only the top end has a bit more sparkle..... and this is where I think Eikon comes in. I pay attention to reviews of Eikon and Atticus and listen to key words that reviewers used to described them. I think I have a fair idea...... but nothing like hearing it for yourself. Which is what I am going to do.

My expectation of the Eikon isn't one of a analytical sounding benchmark headphone. Rather I think it will be a fun and musical sound signature, with enough clarity to satisfy a details lover like me. If it does all that, then it's a keeper for me.

Ps... the Audeze LCD2.2 is a heavy ass headphone too.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #4,029 of 9,721
There's only one way to find out. Try it out for yourself. Which is what I am going to do. I have already placed my order for a cherry Eikon.

I heard the Audeze LCD2.2 for the first time on Sunday when auditioning for Ragnarok and I was very impressed with the LCD2.2. If only the top end has a bit more sparkle..... and this is where I think Eikon comes in. I pay attention to reviews of Eikon and Atticus and listen to key words that reviewers used to described them. I think I have a fair idea...... but nothing like hearing it for yourself. Which is what I am going to do.

My expectation of the Eikon isn't one of a analytical sounding benchmark headphone. Rather I think it will be a fun and musical sound signature, with enough clarity to satisfy a details lover like me. If it does all that, then it's a keeper for me.

Ps... the Audeze LCD2.2 is a heavy ass headphone too.

Well, I didn't like my LCD2 at all and had an XC I liked more but niot as much as dynamic cans. Tried a few other Audezes and a couple of Hifiman as well but the ortho sound just isn't my thing. Each to his own of course.

I read about all there is to read on the Atticus and Eikon from various sources. I think I will like them both and appreciate their different flavors. From reading the Atticus is the more appealing one to me.

Of course, one needs to try for himself. Expensive venture though, both together would cost me $2450 shipped + about 33% import and taxes ...
And if I don't like them I wonder how much these sell for used here ...

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #4,030 of 9,721
I read about all there is to read on the Atticus and Eikon from various sources. I think I will like them both and appreciate their different flavors. From reading the Atticus is the more appealing one to me.

Of course, one needs to try for himself. Expensive venture though, both together would cost me $2450 shipped + about 33% import and taxes ...
And if I don't like them I wonder how much these sell for used here ...

If you are going to commit to both Eikon and Atticus, you must have a fairly good idea of keeping them both because selling it will bear some heavy losses. When I buy something, I don't expect to sell it. :)

I was in your shoes until recently. I wanted to get both and almost did but in 2 months, I bought HD800, Yggy, Rggy, some expensive tubes, 2 balanced cables and I had to choose between one of the 2 headphones. I love the HD800 with the Schiit combo. It's killer. So it's natural that I gravitate towards Eikon.

I'm rarely wrong with my instinct. I think you will like these headphones.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #4,031 of 9,721
If you are going to commit to both Eikon and Atticus, you must have a fairly good idea of keeping them both because selling it will bear some heavy losses. When I buy something, I don't expect to sell it. :)

I was in your shoes until recently. I wanted to get both and almost did but in 2 months, I bought HD800, Yggy, Rggy, some expensive tubes, 2 balanced cables and I had to choose between one of the 2 headphones. I love the HD800 with the Schiit combo. It's killer. So it's natural that I gravitate towards Eikon.

I'm rarely wrong with my instinct. I think you will like these headphones.

Yup, and that's the problem: huge losses when selling and can't be sure if you like them until you heard them. Add to that the uncertainty of the choice between Atticus and Eikon ... can't be sure until you heard them both ...

I'm more of a HD650 than a HD800 fan although I have a HD800S incoming that I traded for one of my other cans. Just giving it another try and might be nice with the Realiser.
I love the HD650 paired with a natural, slightly warm amp. Think Zana, BW, V281.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #4,032 of 9,721
I love the HD650 paired with a natural, slightly warm amp. Think Zana, BW, V281.

I have the modified HD650 too and enjoyed it with both Euforia tube amp and Ragnarok. I also have the T1 which I love. Incidentally I audition both Ragnarok and Violectric v281 on Sunday and bought Rag at the end of it.

Well good luck with your choice of the ZMF headphones. I know mine is getting closer with each passing day.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #4,033 of 9,721
I hope you get your Eikon soon.
What wood and finish did you opt for?

@zach915m
Any other woods coming in the very nesr future?
I do love the camphor but like dark wood as well.

And if I woul lik something to replace a Fostex/Lawton LA-900 but with more forward mids combined with a HD650, should I go for the Atticus? Or is the Eikon an overall better choice?

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #4,035 of 9,721
Really beautiful finish.
Why did you en up selling them Maxx?
The Wify got on me for having so many headphones,
and I knew the Eikon would sell fast to appease her.
Sold my HD800 and I Still have the HEKV2 up for sale.

I am not replacing them with anything yet,
because nothing else out there currently is trying to take on the Utopia except the Susvara.
I had the unfortunate luck of hearing them lol.
So since I am a modder, I currently settled on just doing experiments on a cheaper Dennon so I can save.

There currently is no other closed can more balanced and beautiful sounding than the Eikons (IMHO).

Mostly sellers with other reasons.

Their faults imho:
• headband asymmetry
• potentially their weight for some users
• earpad seal depending on head shape/size
• the headband sliders(?)
... The sliders worked fine for me, but I think most folks like predetermined spacing with indents.
None of this was an issue for me at all as they went on well without issue.

, I didn't like my LCD2 at all and had an XC I liked more but niot as much as dynamic cans
LCD2 remains a thick sounding can,
And the XC remains an uneven shouty can with a large but closer stage than Eikon/Atticus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back