ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4,036 of 9,748
So since I am a modder, I currently settled on just doing experiments on a cheaper Dennon so I can save.

There currently is no other closed can more balanced and beautiful sounding than the Eikons.
That is certain.
Mostly sellers with other reasons.

None of this was an issue for me at all as they went on well without issue.

LCD2 remains a thick sounding can,
And the XC remains an uneven shouty can with a large but closer stage than Eikon/Atticus.

Yea I can't recommend an XC over the Eikon, I've got one with me on loan, the nature of the Planar drivers makes for excellent bass response, but that's really the only advantage the XC has, and frankly it's not a BIG one at that,

@Maxx134 I feel you on the wifey, I got the Eikon and also chopped my gorgeous wood back collection in half :'(

Non the less, as far as the headband asymmetry goes you need to make sure you've properly balanced/set the gimbals and sliders. @zach915m actually posted a video demonstrating how they should be set, and believe it or not it makes a big difference

Still I'm excited to find a closed back better than the Eikon, I also demo'd a Fostex TH 900 and it too... didn't quite do it for me, with a thicker darker amp is was nice, but it still didn't compare to the sheer resolve/imaging and depth of the Eikon

though comparing it to open backs is a different matter, I still enjoy it alongside my modded HE 4, as the two are voice very differently, but the Eikon is much blacker than my HE 4 so it does resolve a bit better, combined with the isolation I've got better macro detail with the Eikon, so instruments and the sounds intrinsic to them stand out a lot more! Which is wonderful, though my HE 4 still get's micro detail [little noises like foot steps or paper turning/falling] still I prefer the Eikon's presentation of that detail, it puts the Music first and follows with the micro detail, the Eikon let's the instruments them selvs and the music shine thorugh

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,037 of 9,748
Thanks for sharing your opinions folks!

The Wify got on me for having so many headphones,
and I knew the Eikon would sell fast to appease her.
Sold my HD800 and I Still have the HEKV2 up for sale.

I am not replacing them with anything yet,
because nothing else out there currently is trying to take on the Utopia except the Susvara.
I had the unfortunate luck of hearing them lol.
So since I am a modder, I currently settled on just doing experiments on a cheaper Dennon so I can save.

When my wife complains about multiple headphones I tell her as long as I have only one woman she has no reason to complain. :ksc75smile:

Susvara? 18k ... 6 for the phones and 12 for the Jimmy Choos your wife will want as compensation! :ksc75smile:
I'll keep it sane and go with a 1k ZMF and a pair of All-Stars for the missus. :wink:

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #4,038 of 9,748
Thanks. I went for cherry Eikon. I didn't specify a finish. Zach, should I go with lacquer?

I am hoping it will turn out like this.... :)

I wouldn't recommend the lacquer for Cherry if you want it to look like that pic. The lacquer masks a lot of the wood grain detail. More of a muted look. That pic is definitely varnish.

I have a lacquer cherry Eikon. I like it, but it's a completely different look.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4,039 of 9,748
I am not replacing them with anything yet,
because nothing else out there currently is trying to take on the Utopia except the Susvara.
I had the unfortunate luck of hearing them lol.

I've heard both. I heard the HiFiMan Susvara as recently as last Sunday at the Australian HiFi Show.... with a Woo Audio Wa33. This is my thoughts about it and pictures. I was very impressed with Utopia when I heard it earlier this year at a Sydney meet.

However, in the confines and comfort of home, I still find the HD800 astounding with Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. I expect Eikon to give me countless hours of enjoyment too.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-tube-amps.854783/page-33#post-13629836

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,040 of 9,748
I wouldn't recommend the lacquer for Cherry if you want it to look like that pic. The lacquer masks a lot of the wood grain detail. More of a muted look. That pic is definitely varnish.

I have a lacquer cherry Eikon. I like it, but it's a completely different look.

My Eikon is awaiting sanding according to the spreadsheet. :ksc75smile: I won't worry about varnish or lacquer. I will leave it to Zach to do the finish he thinks shows the cherry wood best.

All I want is to hear it ! Can't wait for it to arrive together with the Forza balance cables.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,041 of 9,748
Hey @Maxx134 - I actually think your headphone is Varnish by looking at the pics. I'm glad you like how it turned out regardless! Sorry for any confusion on the finish.

I hope you get your Eikon soon.
What wood and finish did you opt for?

@zach915m
Any other woods coming in the very nesr future?
I do love the camphor but like dark wood as well.

And if I would like something to replace a Fostex/Lawton LA-900 but with more forward mids combined with a HD650, should I go for the Atticus? Or is the Eikon an overall better choice?

I haven't thought about a release date for any other woods aside from what we have listed, I really can't until we are caught up with stock wood orders and we get some other stuff figured out. All I can really say is that at some point we will find a way to do other woods.

Usually when people mention any of the Senn models HD600/50 I typically recommend the Eikon. It's just more similar to that frequency response than the Atticus. Generally they both have significant differences from the HD series of Senns, but they are great compliments.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4,042 of 9,748
Hey @Maxx134 - I actually think your headphone is Varnish by looking at the pics. I'm glad you like how it turned out regardless! Sorry for any confusion on the finish.

I haven't thought about a release date for any other woods aside from what we have listed, I really can't until we are caught up with stock wood orders and we get some other stuff figured out. All I can really say is that at some point we will find a way to do other woods.

Usually when people mention any of the Senn models HD600/50 I typically recommend the Eikon. It's just more similar to that frequency response than the Atticus. Generally they both have significant differences from the HD series of Senns, but they are great compliments.

Thank you for the info Zach!

The Camphor will be fine though, I really like the pics on the website.

The problem is the choice between Eikon and Atticus though, at first I was sure about going for the Eikon but the more I read the more I understood the Atticus could be the better choice for electric guitars and female vocals. Also, I love a slightly warm and slightly forward midrange. I am a big fan of the HD650 and for this you recommend me the Eikon. Tough call! :wink:

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #4,043 of 9,748
Susvara? 18k ... 6 for the phones and 12 for the Jimmy Choos your wife will want as compensation! :ksc75smile:
I'll keep it sane and go with a 1k ZMF and a pair of All-Stars for the missus. :wink:
Ssshh ,
Dont tell.

Hey @Maxx134 - I actually think your headphone is Varnish by looking at the pics. I'm glad you like how it turned out regardless! Sorry for any confusion on the finish
OMG lol .
No wonder it had such dark reddish hues.
:)

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,046 of 9,748
An Atticus should be coming my way at some point, but I'm curious to hear how they compare to any of the following headphones: LCD-3 PF, Nighthawk (with me soon), LCD 2.2 PF, HD-650.

LCD 2.2 PF bass, HD 650 mids and LCD 2.2/HD 650 treble would be my ideal headphone.

I'm particularly interested in how the Atticus compares to the HD650's midrange. For me, no headphone has beaten it due to the way it presents vocals in a romantic, intimate, very rich and full-bodied way. This is key and the way vocals are presented is usually a make or break area.

Anyone care to share their opinion?

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #4,047 of 9,748
An Atticus should be coming my way at some point, but I'm curious to hear how they compare to any of the following headphones: LCD-3 PF, Nighthawk (with me soon), LCD 2.2 PF, HD-650.

LCD 2.2 PF bass, HD 650 mids and LCD 2.2/HD 650 treble would be my ideal headphone.

I'm particularly interested in how the Atticus compares to the HD650's midrange. For me, no headphone has beaten it due to the way it presents vocals in a romantic, intimate, very rich and full-bodied way. This is key and the way vocals are presented is usually a make or break area.

Anyone care to share their opinion?

I'll bite, what I've bolded in your comment, described the Atticus mid range very well, I've only lived with the HD 600 an that was a few years back, I did find it to be very rich sounding throughout the entire mid range, but as a point of refferance, I found that the Atticus had a simmilar vocal presentation as the Focal Elear, though with more presance up top, so thick romantic vocals with a touch of breathy airness. Rich and full bodied for sure,

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,048 of 9,748
I'll bite, what I've bolded in your comment, described the Atticus mid range very well, I've only lived with the HD 600 an that was a few years back, I did find it to be very rich sounding throughout the entire mid range, but as a point of refferance, I found that the Atticus had a simmilar vocal presentation as the Focal Elear, though with more presance up top, so thick romantic vocals with a touch of breathy airness. Rich and full bodied for sure,

I've only had my Atticus for a few days now but the female vocals are blowing me away. I don't know why I was expecting them to be slightly muted (maybe I thought the warmth would push them back) but they are there and they are beautiful. I've never listened to so much Norah Jones & Alison Krauss before.

For example:

"Norah Jones - Come away with Me", her voice is so full and yet so soft, not to mention the clarity, I can almost see her lips moving.
"Alison Krauss - Forget About It", her voice is so light and delicate during the verses and all the detail comes through, it sits perfectly between the other instruments. She also pushes her voice louder on the chorus and it sounds so rich and full.

To explain it better, we would need to invent new English words to do a description justice.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,049 of 9,748
This is certainly what I was hoping to hear.

I actually owned the Elear. I don't remember too much about it due to the fatigue it caused, leaving me no choice to return it after just a few days. I do remember the way in which vocals were presented being one of its strong points, though.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #4,050 of 9,748
I've only had my Atticus for a few days now but the female vocals are blowing me away. I don't know why I was expecting them to be slightly muted (maybe I thought the warmth would push them back) but they are there and they are beautiful. I've never listened to so much Norah Jones & Alison Krauss before.

For example:

"Norah Jones - Come away with Me", her voice is so full and yet so soft, not to mention the clarity, I can almost see her lips moving.
"Alison Krauss - Forget About It", her voice is so light and delicate during the verses and all the detail comes through, it sits perfectly between the other instruments. She also pushes her voice louder on the chorus and it sounds so rich and full.

To explain it better, we would need to invent new English words to do a description justice.

I think the word your looking for is... "there" A few of my friends growing up sang, so fortunatley I got to grow up with a lot of live professionally training vocalists, and while the Atticus vocal's were very real sounding to my ears, reproduces that from the body warmth well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back