ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,236 of 9,748

I'm pretty sure he was joking...

The only driver material I've ever heard any safety comments about was beryllium (supposedly you shouldn't touch the actual drivers). Same for speakers that use it in tweeters.

I'd love to hear a comparison of both the Eikon & Atticus to E-MU Teak. There really aren't many wooden earcup headphones to compare them to -- beyond the much discussed TH-X00's, which aren't in the league of the E/A, from what I can tell (I sold my TH-X00's months ago).

I've been jonesing on-and-off for the E MU Teak for months; and more recently, really got interested in the Atticus.

Yes E-MU seems to be punching above what its asking, but i'm not sure if that's due to Chan's magic tuning or the woods. But from what I read here, the Eikons are getting compared to some beefy cans, which is great! If in fact the E-MU is a th900 worthy opponent, then thats a bargain alright! :D

Will get more info up soon, but in short, if you have Varnish cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/BW-Casey-Stock-Sheen-Conditioner/dp/B0009TNNYC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540485&sr=8-3&keywords=tru+oil+conditioner

If you have Lacquer cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Professional-Guitar-Polish-Cleaner/dp/B01HOTB5LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540518&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+guitar+cleaner

The driver membrane is a polyurethane + bio-cellulose hybrid material, a small amount of polyurethane was added after I noted that the sound was a touch too "nodal" in the early drivers as we really wanted a more "planar hybrid" type sound that comes from the entire driver working as a unit.  That's how we ended up with this material and the rubber surround.

Thank You for the info.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,238 of 9,748
Will get more info up soon, but in short, if you have Varnish cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/BW-Casey-Stock-Sheen-Conditioner/dp/B0009TNNYC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540485&sr=8-3&keywords=tru+oil+conditioner

If you have Lacquer cups use this and ONLY this:  https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Professional-Guitar-Polish-Cleaner/dp/B01HOTB5LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487540518&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+guitar+cleaner

The driver membrane is a polyurethane + bio-cellulose hybrid material, a small amount of polyurethane was added after I noted that the sound was a touch too "nodal" in the early drivers as we really wanted a more "planar hybrid" type sound that comes from the entire driver working as a unit.  That's how we ended up with this material and the rubber surround.

Thanks! I added your recommended product for varnish finish to my Amazon list, so it will be added to my next Amazon order.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,239 of 9,748
Any comparisons to Hifiman Edition X?

I can give some thoughts in the next day or two, but the Eikons are basically closed headphones and the X's are open. So not a really fair comparison.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,240 of 9,748
I can give some thoughts in the next day or two, but the Eikons are basically closed headphones and the X's are open. So not a really fair comparison.

I realize that. However, I am really want a closed back right now. I am trying to complete my rig. I want something similar to my IEM 64 Audio U12 ADEL. I heard that HEX resembles U12 in the open scene. I was thinking maybe Atticus would do that in the closed back scene

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #2,241 of 9,748
I realize that. However, I am really want a closed back right now. I am trying to complete my rig. I want something similar to my IEM 64 Audio U12 ADEL. I heard that HEX resembles U12 in the open scene. I was thinking maybe Atticus would do that in the closed back scene

Gotcha. You meant more of a similar sound sig. I'll give them a quick compare when I have a chance. The Eikon will definitely be closer to the HEX's sound than the Atticus.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,242 of 9,748

They sound a lot different. 

The Atticus is a little darker and has more bass and better dynamics. The HEX has an even midrange all throughout. The Atticus is a lot more thick and full. The HEX is very compressed, has no dynamics but is tons more open sounding and relaxed. The only similarities is that they are not bright and have good bass presence. Otherwise they are opposites in almost every aspect. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,243 of 9,748
I wrote some "final thoughts" on my Eikon as I've had it for 3 weeks now.  Please keep in mind that I have heard them exclusively through a chain of Gumby > Zana Deux (12ohm OI) > Cherry Eikon

Bass
  1. Good extension deep, with nice subbass rumble. I could be temporarily fooled Eikon was another planar based on these characteristics
  2. Slight midbass hump, with great impact
  3. Overall bass is a tasteful bit "north of neutral" . However, for a high end closed back it is NOT "north of average". Most higher end closed backs like t50p mods, Fostex TH whatevers, Atticus, K872, Sony Z1R are certainly bassier, with Ether-C and maybe Oppo PM3 being the only leaner ones I've heard.
  4. Very cohesive with the rest of the spectrum, no "bass AND midrange" that I often hear with some bassier headphones
Midrange
  1. Lower midrange starts off a tad thick, but then stays fairly even throughout. Mids are smooth, well detailed, with a nice euphonic decay
  2. Mids have a great presence, up front a bit, but not to the extent of something like Andromeda, or the "cute" mids presentation of many AudioTechnica headphones (like AD2000).
  3. There's a seemingly large emphasis around 2.5-3khz, which can sound overly shrill if a female singer hits that note, or there's a particularly up front guitar passage...etc This may be my only significant complaint of the Eikon
Treble
  1. Other than the upper mid/lower treble shrillness above, treble is fantastic. Great extension and air for a closed back
  2. Not laid back, but also not peaky or fatiguing, my holy-grail especially as an HD800 main user
General Observations
  1. Overall a sortof neutral presentation, with some fullness and warmth, with a bit unwelcome emphasis in upper mid/lower treble region. Great extension at both extremes, and a slower decay which especially gives great body and tonality to many acoustic instruments.
  2. Does really well at loud volumes (can be dangerous), doesn't fall apart or distrort, gets really slamming and involving.
  3. Resolution is decent. It's much better at picking out detail than many of the aforemention closed planars, however it's still a step behind many resolving open backs.
  4. Soundstage is very wide for a closed back, with great layering. I have forgotten sometimes I'm wearing an isolating headphone when someone needs to talk to me. However this is where I would like to emphasize the ZanaDeux excels here and may be exaggerated.
  5. Isolation is really good both in and out, despite the visible vents I would consider this a straight up closed headphone. Certainly better than TH-whatevers and in the same ballpark with many closed t50 mods, Oppo PM3...etc.
  6. Weight is weight, but otherwise it's very comfortable. The pads are roomy, yet hug the head well. The dual headband distributes the weight well across the skull, and teh cups have full swivel and a large range of adjustment.

Conclusion:
I stand by my earlier assertion that this is the best closed back (for me) by a decent margin. I became more cynical/critical in the last year+ as I grew more into this hobby, and it feels good to be so smitten and excited by a transducer again. It doesn't have the treble problems, and is overall a more refined signature, than much of the higher priced closed competition. It's biggest flaw IMO, the uppermid/lower treble emphasis leads to some shrillness, but it is nowhere close to a dealbreaker, and I only notice it at louder volumes.

$1300+ is a big ask, but considering the market, I think it's fair. Preorder price of $1k was a relative steal, and I'm glad I took the chance on ZMF with dynamics after liking many aspects of the Blackwood. It's a really good all-arounder that has few compromises and does not beckon a second complimentary closed set for me.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,244 of 9,748
@PoochZag, how you say Eikon compared to Z1R?  which one does female vocal better? which has wider sound stage?

Thanks

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,245 of 9,748
  @PoochZag, how you say Eikon compared to Z1R?  which one does female vocal better? which has wider sound stage?

Thanks

I've only heard Z1R for a few songs off an unfamiliar amp (the new Sony flagship one) so I can only really talk in basic terms. I didn't love it but recognize why some do. I tend towards more neutral signatures, with somewhat forward midranges, and Eikon fits my preferences way more in that regard as the Z1R is some sort of v-shape.  I think Eikon had better female vocals simply because they're more up front.  Not sure I can answer the soundstage because of amp differences, the Z1R did have a very unique, spacious sound to the bass tho that was cool.  Below is what I wrote about Z1R right after a meet, but that's about all I can say

"Sony Z1R: Very premium feeling, comfortable, well isolating. Very convincing, rumbling bass, that seemed to have a "location" in the headstage, if a little too much bass overall for me at times. Midrange sounded smooth and no glaring flaws up top, if a little too laid back for me. Excellent sense of space for a closed back. It wasn't bad, just unremarkable."

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,246 of 9,748
Wow, that's exactly how I felt. The tracks on the Sony DAP were mostly acoustic, so I didn't even get a real feel for the bass, but it was just so non special. I ended up stopping listening to it because I just didn't feel into it at all. I'm big on vocals, but listen to a lot of vocal trance, to put my flavor into perspective.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,248 of 9,748

This works better than expected

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,249 of 9,748
Good God the mids are beautiful in the Eikons. I'm just about 10 songs in and driving them with Vega/Taurus MKII, vocals are captivating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back