ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 6, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,011 of 9,714
So Zach went out of his way send me a 1/4 inch adapter and apologize for it. He even apologized at canjam and could tell he was very sincere about it.
Why the box to send a quarter inch adapter and not just an envelope Zach I said laughingly out loud to my wife. Oooh it's because you were so sincere you sent me an adapter and another cable terminated in 1/4 inch too! Quite the nice surprise! Thanks Zach! The funny thing about it is that at can jam he asked if I had got the package yet and upon telling him no, he offered to give me an adapter right then and not telling me about the cable. Sly dog.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,012 of 9,714
Coming soon I will have pictures showing varnish vs lacquer finish as well as a ZMF Eikon/Atticus "user guide" that I really should have finished by now.  We are spending some good time on that this week.

...I wonder if he's using my lacquered cherry Eikons for the photo shoot?...

I'm really excited to see them, and I'm at #16 on the spreadsheet so it shouldn't be long now.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,013 of 9,714
...I wonder if he's using my lacquered cherry Eikons for the photo shoot?...

I'm really excited to see them, and I'm at #16 on the spreadsheet so it shouldn't be long now.

You are number 15 if you see row 1 is the column headings.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,014 of 9,714
You are number 15 if you see row 1 is the column headings.

Silly mortal, your logic cannot harm me! Muahahahahaa!

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,017 of 9,714
I know helpful HF forum members have covered the differences in the two woods as to their physical properties and potential sound characteristics in this thread at length.  I believe that the consensus was to pick whichever wood appeals to your aesthetics as the sonic differences would be slight.

Now, this topic almost certainly falls into the same category, but as beautiful sound in all of its glory are what we are trying to achieve, I have read that classical string instrument makers (i.e. violin) prefer varnish over lacquer (gross generalization) for its ability to convey the tone of the wood without disrupting its inherent resonance.  Nonetheless, many modern guitar makers use lacquer possibly due to its better durability or possibly because a well-done application sufficiently narrows the gap.

Anyone have any firsthand experience?

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #2,018 of 9,714
Zach used to be a luthier.  I bet he might have some insight...

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,019 of 9,714
  I know helpful HF forum members have covered the differences in the two woods as to their physical properties and potential sound characteristics in this thread at length.  I believe that the consensus was to pick whichever wood appeals to your aesthetics as the sonic differences would be slight.

Now, this topic almost certainly falls into the same category, but as beautiful sound in all of its glory are what we are trying to achieve, I have read that classical string instrument makers (i.e. violin) prefer varnish over lacquer (gross generalization) for its ability to convey the tone of the wood without disrupting its inherent resonance.  Nonetheless, many modern guitar makers use lacquer possibly due to its better durability or possibly because a well-done application sufficiently narrows the gap.

Anyone have any firsthand experience?

Yeah - if it were a musical instrument I'd say get varnish bc it's thinner.  But unlike musical instruments that have very thin wood walls, our headphones wood thickness is 2-3x that of a musical instrument, meaning the amount the wood vibrates and contributes to the sound through it's actual vibration is way way less.  The sound of wood headphones varies much more based on the texture and density of the inner wall, which is always un-finished.

So will all the above factors the lacquer vs varnish headphone debate really comes down to what you prefer aesthetically.  Varnish is oil based and brings out more color from the wood, but is hand wiped and doesn't feel as factory smooth (although quite smooth).  Lacquer doesn't bring out as much color but i smoother and more uniform looking.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,020 of 9,714
Now my Milo will ship this week, so I will probably have it before my Atticus and Eikon.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,021 of 9,714
Now my Milo will ship this week, so I will probably have it before my Atticus and Eikon.

Burn that baby in early!   =)

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,022 of 9,714
Thanks, Zach, your insight is very much appreciated.  Makes sense.  I hadn't even contemplated the thickness of the cups.

And thanks, @ Stillhart.  Learned a new word too.  Another day older, but a day wiser and smarter now!

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,023 of 9,714
Burn that baby in early!   =)

I will burn it in, but would have liked to burn it in with the musette and Atticus or Eikon all at once.

I think there is a chance my ZMF orders will ship this week too. It would be ideal to set them up for delivery on the same day as I would love to have a three day weekend next week. Only an audiophile would take a vacation day to be at home to sign for audio related packages. :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,024 of 9,714
I am number 18 on the list, but there are 25 headphones ahead of my order due to some people getting both like me. As a result if 22 max go out this week as Zach predicted then mine still won't ship.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,025 of 9,714
Did anyone tried their Atticus with Mojo - does it 'synergised'  with each other? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back