ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,981 of 9,716

This.  The Woo Audio stands are very very good, though a bit pricey.  I also like the new Audioquest stand that I saw at CES (not sure if it's out yet).  I also heard a rumor that Zach was working on a stand but you know... rumors...

Well, we all know how much Zach likes to play with his wood... 

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,982 of 9,716

This.  The Woo Audio stands are very very good, though a bit pricey.  I also like the new Audioquest stand that I saw at CES (not sure if it's out yet).  I also heard a rumor that Zach was working on a stand but you know... rumors...

Yea both the Woo stands are very good, the AQ one seems to be great too and definitely beautiful but they are also pretty expensive - thinking to buy the AQ one for myself to try it out once nearby dealers get a hold of it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,983 of 9,716
I've actually been looking at mannequin heads, wig holders, and hat display pieces as viable alternatives. If it's the size of a human head, or slightly smaller, it should work... But most look terrible, and there is no telling if any of them would be stable with headphones on them. Hehehe

Something like this.

I've had this one since 1978! It survived many moves during my military career.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,985 of 9,716
The Woo stand is definitely very good albeit a bit pricey. Built like a siege tank and height adjustable.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #1,986 of 9,716
if you are the type of person that owns a chord dave and your favorite headphone to listen to it with is the hd800s then you need to buy an eikon. head to head i enjoyed it more compared to the lcd-4. im really surprised Zach doesn't own a hugo TT as it was one of my favorite pairings with it.   The mojo drives it fairly well and is surprisingly detailed but it's missing a little something.  The hugo 2 gave it the extra magic it needed.  All together more of an easy reference sound with the chord products but the eikon has enough character to make it a one and only solution for most.  This would be my pairing if i only listened to orchestral as the highs of the eikon just do so much for me.
  My second most favorite pairing with the eikon was the Woo WA8. The bassiest pairing i'd heard. it was smoky and warm.  A little rolled off at the top but honestly i didn't mind too much.  direct comparison to the hd800s i'd say the 800s are ever so slightly more detailed and a little more soundstage but just barely.  all together a reference sound but i wouldn't say its boring. Has nothing in the bass department compared to the eikon. Similar resolution and capabilities between the two but i'd easily pick the eikon with the wa8 every time.
 My favorite pairing of the day was unexpected.  Pathos Aurium and here's why.
    The eikon brings the whole PRAT thing to the table.  i like to look at it this way.  If you connect some guitar strings to a 2 x 4 and tighten them up you have guitar strings.  however, add a soundboard and sound box then you get a tune-able instrument.  The eikon is an instrument and not just a transducer smacked into a housing and considered good enough.  It conveys  emotion and does the whole PRAT thing with spades. Now usually, people end up having issues with their headphones and their setup revolves around "i need something that will change this or that."  The eikon revises this too common occurrence and allows it's owners to instead think about an amp that could ALSO do this for their headphone.  If you love bass, get a bassier amp because you want to not because you have to. Want texture and resolution then get it. Me, i love music.  Rhythmic and visual and gut wrenching bass when it's suppose to be there.  Unexpectedly, that was the pathos aurium.  

side note:  i did not like the sony flagship amp with the eikon.  

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #1,987 of 9,716
if you are the type of person that owns a chord dave and your favorite headphone to listen to it with is the hd800s then you need to buy an eikon. head to head i enjoyed it more compared to the lcd-4. im really surprised Zach doesn't own a hugo TT as it was one of my favorite pairings with it.   The mojo drives it fairly well and is surprisingly detailed but it's missing a little something.  The hugo 2 gave it the extra magic it needed.  All together more of an easy reference sound with the chord products but the eikon has enough character to make it a one and only solution for most.  This would be my pairing if i only listened to orchestral as the highs of the eikon just do so much for me.
  My second most favorite pairing with the eikon was the Woo WA8. The bassiest pairing i'd heard. it was smoky and warm.  A little rolled off at the top but honestly i didn't mind too much.  direct comparison to the hd800s i'd say the 800s are ever so slightly more detailed and a little more soundstage but just barely.  all together a reference sound but i wouldn't say its boring. Has nothing in the bass department compared to the eikon. Similar resolution and capabilities between the two but i'd easily pick the eikon with the wa8 every time.
 My favorite pairing of the day was unexpected.  Pathos Aurium and here's why.
    The eikon brings the whole PRAT thing to the table.  i like to look at it this way.  If you connect some guitar strings to a 2 x 4 and tighten them up you have guitar strings.  however, add a soundboard and sound box then you get a tune-able instrument.  The eikon is an instrument and not just a transducer smacked into a housing and considered good enough.  It conveys  emotion and does the whole PRAT thing with spades. Now usually, people end up having issues with their headphones and their setup revolves around "i need something that will change this or that."  The eikon revises this too common occurrence and allows it's owners to instead think about an amp that could ALSO do this for their headphone.  If you love bass, get a bassier amp because you want to not because you have to. Want texture and resolution then get it. Me, i love music.  Rhythmic and visual and gut wrenching bass when it's suppose to be there.  Unexpectedly, that was the pathos aurium.  

side note:  i did not like the sony flagship amp with the eikon.  

Did you have the chance to compare the Eikon with the Atticus and the Z1R ?

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,988 of 9,716
The atticus had a nice midbass punch lol.  I was too focused on the eikon to really adapt to the sound of the atticus all together.  I plan to get some more time with it eventually.
The z1r was nice with the flagship amp. lots of finesse  and velvety textures but it just didn't do it for me.  The mids and highs weren't bad and conveyed some emotion but weren't what i'd call organic.
To me, it seemed it went out on a limb to present the bass but not in a natural or fun way.  Hard to explain but i think i got it.  it wants to be the midrange. like the mids, it was textured, velvety and detailed but they took the oomph that makes bass ...bass.  The decay was overly smooth and hollow in decay without much dynamics seemingly stealing it's soul.  I could be wrong though. it was a show environment 

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,990 of 9,716
I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I volunteered the morning shift at CanJam, then finally made my way over to Zach to take a listen to what I purchased sight unseen, and sound unheard.

I pressed play and.....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Eikon sounded every bit as good as I had hoped. I'm sure Milo didn't hurt matters at all, but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to find a quality match.

The thing is, this was just "show conditions" noisy environment and whatnot. I'm REALLY looking forward to spending some time with these.

And it was a great pleasure to say hi to Zach & his lovely bride...I didn't know that she hand braids the "house" ZMF cables herself.

A lovely couple, and a wonderful company.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #1,991 of 9,716
Feb 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,992 of 9,716
... people end up having issues with their headphones and their setup revolves around "i need something that will change this or that."  The eikon revises this too common occurrence and allows it's owners to instead think about an amp that could ALSO do this for their headphone.  If you love bass, get a bassier amp because you want to not because you have to. Want texture and resolution then get it.

Man that is just wonderfully said. I couldn't agree more. The Eikon is a paradigm shift.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #1,993 of 9,716
admittedly I feel I should have waited to hear the pathos another time before I mentioned it. While I did love what I heard, it wasn't my music. Ithe man had cds playing out of an old Hegel CD player. I seriously can't believe how many companies didn't have internet access and tidal hooked up. There were quite a few spots I stopped but didn't bother because of their lack of music . Also I sat next to zee almost right away at the audio quest table and almost immediately heard him talking and looked over to see him and skylar chatting it up. Only headfier I'd seen today.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,994 of 9,716
admittedly I feel I should have waited to hear the pathos another time before I mentioned it. While I did love what I heard, it wasn't my music. Ithe man had cds playing out of an old Hegel CD player. I seriously can't believe how many companies didn't have internet access and tidal hooked up. There were quite a few spots I stopped but didn't bother because of their lack of music . Also I sat next to zee almost right away at the audio quest table and almost immediately heard him talking and looked over to see him and skylar chatting it up. Only headfier I'd seen today.

I agree.  There were some with a very limited selection of tracks on a media server or DAP.  It makes it very difficult to compare to other things you just listened to.

Yesterday I did end up going back and spent most of my time at the Violectric/Lake People table where they had both pairs of dynamic ZMFs.  I thought this was a very good pairing.  I focused on the V280 and RS08 fed from my mojo.  Very similar power between the two into the Eikons but noticeable difference in sound signature.  The RS08 was certainly the more neutral of the two and maintained the mojo sound while the V280 added a light peppering of harmonics.  They were both very tight and controlling with with ZMFs.  I felt drawn to the V280 sound, but I have to wonder if, combined with the Eikons, would be a little like molten chocolate cake where I really love the first several bites but then I'm done with it.  It didn't occur in the time spent, but it is in my mind as I contemplate next steps.  I wonder if I'll have any desire at all for an amp once hugo2 arrives.

Personally, I didn't love what I heard out of the Wells into the Eikons.  I couldn't tell if it was the DAC or what, but I'd personally got way more enjoyment out of the mojo directly.   It was apparent to me early and I stopped listening through the Wells.  I felt their was no comparison with the V280/RS08.  A much better pairing for me.

edit: for some reason my brain types Aikon, which will no doubt be the next headphone finding a middle ground between the Atticus and Eikon and I get a 10% royalty.  Now that I've ordered a pair, I have to get it straight.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,995 of 9,716
Can some of you lucky folk who have these special rare headphones give those who don't know much about ZMF some idea of their magic. Like especially the biocell model.

E.g. Certain groups or vocalists that just clearly sound best on this , and maybe which headphone they beat out. Like for example, RUSH sounds better on this ZMF than t90 or something like that. Since there are so many cans, and all the lingo pretty much sounds the same for flagships like smooth this, amazing that. Which is good too, because its nice to see the poetic side, but i also want to know what music / group/ people sound best on this biocell. I ask b/c

there are many biocell out now like with Fostex line, E-MU, ZMF, and now Nighthawks/Carbon/Owl, and the new Klipsch. Its great to see as i've been interested in biocell with all the R10 Legendary folklore and such, and well seems the biocell carries some magic.

Are these the bacteria derived biocell/plant based? Its interesting, and well I would like to know more where this one stands among other biocells for those who have/have had thx00,th900, e-mu, nighthawks etc.

I couldn't help read somewhere the praise of the 300ohm decision, which they said is the highest impedance biocell ever made, and reading it can take the juice of high powered amps, well is cool, but opens it up to so many possibilites as well.

thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back